What does the Bible say about false accusations?
Being falsely accused for something is always frustrating, but remember Jesus, Job, and Moses were all accused wrongly. Sometimes it happens from someone wrongly presuming something and other times it’s out of jealousy and hatred. Stay calm, do not repay evil, defend your case by speaking the truth, and continue to walk with integrity and honorably.
Christian quotes about false accusations
“A clear conscience laughs at false accusations.“
“The enemy utilizes this desire of keeping the conscience void of offense by accusing us of various things. In mistaking such accusations as being from our own consciences we often lose our peace, tire of trying to keep pace with false accusations, and thus cease to advance spiritually with confidence.” Watchman Nee
We are to reflect Christ in all that we say and do. And the Christ of Scripture is the humble, suffering servant who, in spite of great opposition, false accusations, and public ridicule, remained faithful to the heavenly calling. David Hegg
What Scriptures teach us about false accusations?
1. Exodus 20:16 “You must not testify falsely against your neighbor.
2. Exodus 23:1 “You must not pass along false rumors. You must not cooperate with evil people by lying on the witness stand.
3. Deuteronomy 5:20 Do not give dishonest testimony against your neighbor.
4. Proverbs 3:30 Do not contend with a man for no reason, when he has done you no harm.
Blessed are you when you are falsely accused for the name of Christ
5. Matthew 5:10-11 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. “God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers.
6. 1 Peter 4:14 If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.
Examples of being false accusations in the Bible
7. Psalm 35:19-20 Do not let those gloat over me who are my enemies without cause; do not let those who hate me without reason maliciously wink the eye. They do not speak peaceably, but devise false accusations against those who live quietly in the land.
8. Psalm 70:3 Let them be horrified by their shame, for they said, “Aha! We’ve got him now!”
10. Isaiah 54:17 But in that coming day no weapon turned against you will succeed. You will silence every voice raised up to accuse you. These benefits are enjoyed by the servants of the LORD; their vindication will come from me. I, the LORD, have spoken!
11. Proverbs 11:9 With his mouth the godless man would destroy his neighbor, but by knowledge the righteous are delivered.
Trials make us more like Jesus
12. James 1:2-3 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
13. James 1:12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.
Do not repay false accusations with evil.
14. 1 Peter 3:9 Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.
15. Proverbs 24:29 Do not say, “I will do to him as he has done to me; I will pay the man back for what he has done.”
Stay calm and realize who goes before you
16. Exodus 14:14 The LORD himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.”
17. Proverbs 14:29 Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly.
18. 2 Timothy 1:7 For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
19. 1 Peter 3:16 Having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.
20. 1 Peter 2:19 For God is pleased with you when you do what you know is right and patiently endure unfair treatment.
Speak the truth: The truth defeats lies
21. Proverbs 12:19 Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment.
22. Zechariah 8:16 But this is what you must do: Tell the truth to each other. Render verdicts in your courts that are just and that lead to peace.
23. Ephesians 4:25 Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.
Seek God’s help when someone is falsely accusing you
24. Psalm 55:22 Give your burdens to the LORD, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall.
25. Psalm 121:2 My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.