What does the Bible say about being still?
There’s just too much noise! There’s just too much movement! Have you ever wondered how some Christians can be going through the worst pain and suffering and still they have joy? It’s because they are being still. They put all their worries in God’s hands.
Instead of listening to the noise of your worries, listen to the voice of the Lord. We are not to let our joy come from our circumstances, because circumstances change.
The Lord remains the same. The Lord remains loyal, omnipotent, and loving. Allow your joy to come from Christ. Be still, stop paying attention to the storm.
He has already proved that He can calm any storm. Sometimes God allows trials so you can learn to be more dependent on Him. God is saying, “I’m in control.
I can do all things. Stop fearing and trust in me instead.” When your thoughts are running rampant, don’t seek temporary help by watching TV, going on the internet, etc.
Go find a lonely place. A place with no noise. When you stop and focus on the beauty of Christ, you will receive the peace that He has promised you. When you cry out to Him in prayer you will feel His comfort.
Be still and relax in the Lord. He is in control. Remember the times that He has helped you, other believers, and people in Scripture. God promises to help you and never leave you. Talk to Him, trust in Him, be still, and you will hear His calming voice and rest upon His strength.
Christian quotes about being still
“In the rush and noise of life, as you have intervals, step home within yourselves and be still. Wait upon God, and feel His good presence; this will carry you evenly through your day’s business.” William Penn
“The quieter you become, the more you can hear.” ― Ram Dass
“If God is spending work upon a Christian, let him be still and know that it is God. And if he wants work, he will find it there–in the being still.” – Henry Drummond
“When Christ delays to help His saints now, you think this is a great mystery, you cannot explain it; but Jesus sees the end from the beginning. Be still, and know that Christ is God.” – Robert Murray McCheyne
Practice being still and quiet before God
1. Zechariah 2:13 Be still before the LORD, all mankind, because he has roused himself from his holy dwelling.
2. Psalm 46:10-11 “Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.” The LORD of Heaven’s Armies is here among us; the God of Israel is our fortress. Interlude
3. Exodus 14:14 “The LORD will fight for you while you keep still.”
4. Habakkuk 2:20 “The LORD is in his holy Temple. All the earth—be quiet in his presence.”
Jesus is able to calm the storm within you and around you.
5. Mark 4:39-41 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”
6. Psalm 107:28-29 Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble, and he brought them out of their distress. He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed.
7. Psalm 46:1-7 God is our refuge and strength, a great help in times of distress. Therefore we will not be frightened when the earth roars, when the mountains shake in the depths of the seas, when its waters roar and rage, when the mountains tremble despite their pride. Look! There is a river whose streams make the city of God rejoice, even the Holy Place of the Most High. Since God is in her midst, she will not be shaken. God will help her at the break of dawn. The nations roared; the kingdoms were shaken. His voice boomed; the earth melts. The Lord of the heavenly armies is with us; our refuge is the God of Jacob.
Sometimes we need to stop everything and put our focus on the Lord.
8. 1 Samuel 12:16 Now then, stand still and see this great thing the LORD is about to do before your eyes!
9. Exodus 14:13 But Moses told the people, “Don’t be afraid. Just stand still and watch the LORD rescue you today. The Egyptians you see today will never be seen again.”
We need to stop worrying and stop being distracted by the world and just listen to the Lord.
10. Luke 10:38-42 Now as they were traveling along, Jesus went into a village. A woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat down at the Lord’s feet and kept listening to what he was saying. But Martha was worrying about all the things she had to do, so she came to him and asked, “Lord, you do care that my sister has left me to do the work all by myself, don’t you? Then tell her to help me.” The Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha! You worry and fuss about a lot of things. But there’s only one thing you need. Mary has chosen what is better, and it is not to be taken away from her.”
Wait patiently and trust in the Lord.
11. Psalm 37:7 Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act. Don’t worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes.
12. Psalm 62:5-6 Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken.
13. Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
14. James 5:7-8 Therefore, brothers, be patient until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth and is patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains. You also must be patient. Strengthen your hearts, because the Lord’s coming is near.
Be still, shut off the TV, and listen to God in His Word.
15. Joshua 1:8 This law scroll must not leave your lips! You must memorize it day and night so you can carefully obey all that is written in it. Then you will prosper and be successful.
16. Psalm 1:2 But they delight in the law of the LORD, meditating on it day and night.
17. John 16:33 I have told you this so that through me you may have peace. In the world you’ll have trouble, but be courageous—I’ve overcome the world!
18. Psalm 23:4 Even when I must walk through the darkest valley, I fear no danger, for you are with me; your rod and your staff reassure me.
19. Romans 12:12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.
We will never find peace if we are always busy doing things. We need to cease and allow Christ to give us a peace that the world can’t offer.
20. Colossians 3:15 Let the peace of the Messiah also rule in your hearts, to which you were called in one body, and be thankful.
21. Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
22. Isaiah 26:3 You will keep perfectly peaceful the one whose mind remains focused on you, because he remains in you.
23. 1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
24. Job 34:29 But if he remains silent, who can condemn him? If he hides his face, who can see him? Yet he is over individual and nation alike.
25. Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
I love this much. Thank you because it encouraged me to keep waiting on the Lord!
I am so thrilled that you have been blessed by this article. It’s awesome to know that even before we pray God is fighting on our behalf. Being still is trusting in Him and realizing who it is that goes before us. We can trust in His sovereignty and His goodness. We can be still before Him knowing that we are deeply loved and cared for.
Psalm 62:1-2 “Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. 2 Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.”
The Bible Verse Exodus 14:14 is very powerful. Thanks for your prayers and blessings.
I pray that your Ministry will stand firm and expand beyond what you can imagine. Amen
Thank you for this encouraging comment. I’m thankful that you stopped by and were touched by this article. Exodus 14:14 is a passage that still rocks me till this day. Two simple words, “be still.” Simple but powerful!
Dear Brother in Christ, This is really an amazing and powerful article on “Be Still.” Yes, if we are still in Mind the Spirit of God will open our understanding of the Lord. The treasure of His revelation will be so good.
Thank you so much.
I want to be still and romantic in Christ
To know Him and obey His Word.
Hi. I came across this article today after having searched for “scriptures to help me be still” because I have trouble at times being physically still due to some health issues. I drive myself crazy because no matter how I try I just can’t sit still but when I started to read this article I felt my whole body start to relax. The scriptures are so beautiful and just to read them all together in the way you have them here has helped me so much. Thank you.
This is so encouraging. Thanks.
Dear God, help me find solace in You and be still in this situation I am in.
I loved reading these scriptures. I feel safer now and more calm.
Thank you Jesus for showing me this.
Being still is a very powerful way of worship.
All our worries, stress, pain will be taken away by God whome we trust. And as we keep on practicing being still in silence with God he renews our strength.
This has been a reminder to me and to those who believe that Jesus Christ is their savior. Sometimes we all need the reminder to be still. The verse that most stands out to me this morning is Psalm 37:7. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for encouragement this morning.
Thank you for this article. The Lord has been putting this messages of “stillness” in my Spirit. God bless you.
I found treasures in reading this. Many thanks for taking the time to write this. Beautiful heart. God bless you and keep you in His perfect peace.
I have written my first book, I would like for you to read it, that it may be an encouragement to you. God bless your time, your effort, your work in the Scriptures.
Thanks for listening to the Holy spirit and taking your time to put this down. Be blessed, may God’s presence in your life increase the more. I am enriched.
Everything I need to Finish my message 🤣 you gave me it shows your love and dedication to God and his people. God’s continuing Blessings shall Exceed Abundantly in Jesus name Amen.