What does the Bible say about perseverance?
One word in Christianity that is not emphasized enough is perseverance. It is not those who at one time in their life prayed a prayer to accept Christ and later fall away who will enter God’s Kingdom. A true child of God will persevere in faith in Christ and it is these people who will enter Heaven.
Scripture makes it clear that God lives inside of believers and He will work in your life until the end.
God will use trials that happen in your life for good. While doing God’s will He will hold you up. Fix your eyes on Christ, not the world nor your problems.
You will not get through your walk of faith without prayer. Jesus gave us parables to teach us that we should not stop knocking on God’s door.
We should not lose hope. We’ve all been there praying for weeks, months, and even years for something.
Perseverance in prayer shows seriousness. I’ve seen God answer prayers in a matter of days and for some He answered a couple of years down the road. God is doing a good work in us that we don’t see. Are you willing to wrestle with God?
God answers at the best time and in the best way. We should not only persist in prayers during trials, but also when everything is going good. We should be prayer warriors praying for our families, ways to advance God’s kingdom, guidance, daily strength, help, giving thanks, etc. Remain steadfast! Perseverance builds character and a closer relationship with the Lord.
Things Christians need to persevere in
- Faith in Christ
- Witnessing to others
- The Christian lifestyle
Christian quotes about perseverance
“Prayer is the acid test of the inner man’s strength. A strong spirit is capable of praying much and praying with all perseverance until the answer comes. A weak one grows weary and fainthearted in the maintenance of praying.” Watchman Nee
“Our motto must continue to be perseverance. And ultimately I trust the Almighty will crown our efforts with success.” William Wilberforce
“Perseverance in prayer is not overcoming God’s reluctance but rather laying hold of God’s willingness. Our sovereign God has purposed to sometimes require persevering prayer as the means to accomplish His will.” Bill Thrasher
“By perseverance the snail reached the ark.” Charles Spurgeon
“God knows our situation; He will not judge us as if we had no difficulties to overcome. What matters is the sincerity and perseverance of our will to overcome them.” C.S. Lewis
“To me, it has been a source of great comfort and strength in the day of battle, just to remember that the secret of steadfastness, and indeed, of victory, is the recognition that “the Lord is at hand.” Duncan Campbell
“We are able to persevere only because God works within us, within our free wills. And because God is at work in us, we are certain to persevere. The decrees of God concerning election are immutable. They do not change, because He does not change. All whom He justifies He glorifies. None of the elect has ever been lost.” R.C Sproul
“Jesus taught that perseverance is the essential element of prayer. Men must be in earnest when they kneel at God’s footstool. Too often we get faint-hearted and quit praying at the point where we ought to begin. We let go at the very point where we should hold on strongest. Our prayers are weak because they are not impassioned by an unfailing and resistless will.” E.M. Bounds
“Perseverance is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with absolute assurance and certainty that what we are looking for is going to happen.” Oswald Chambers
“God uses the encouragement of the Scriptures, the hope of our ultimate salvation in glory, and the trials that He either sends or allows to produce endurance and perseverance.” Jerry Bridges
Scripture has a lot to say about overcoming perseverance
1. 2 Peter 1:5-7 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.
2. 1 Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
3. 2 Timothy 4:7-8 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing.
4. Hebrews 10:36 “You need to persevere, so that after you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised.”
5. 1 Timothy 4:16 “Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.”
6. Colossians 1:23 “If you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.”
7. 1 Chronicles 16:11 “Seek the Lord and his strength, seek his face continually.”
Persevering is easier when we focus on Christ and the eternal prize.
8. Hebrews 12:1-3 Since we are surrounded by so many examples of faith, we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially sin that distracts us. We must run the race that lies ahead of us and never give up. We must focus on Jesus, the source and goal of our faith. He saw the joy ahead of him, so he endured death on the cross and ignored the disgrace it brought him. Now he holds the honored position—the one next to God the Father on the heavenly throne. Think about Jesus, who endured opposition from sinners, so that you don’t become tired and give up.
9. Philippians 3:14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.
10. Isaiah 26:3 “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.”
11. Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
12. Psalm 57:7 (KJV) “My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.”
Perseverance produces character
13. 2 Peter 1:5 “For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness.”
14. Romans 5:3-5 “Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”
15. James 1:2-4 “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
16. James 1:12 “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.”
17. Psalm 37:7 “Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.”
Perseverance through hard times in life
18. James 1:2-5 “My brothers and sisters, when you have many kinds of troubles, you should be full of joy, because you know that these troubles test your faith, and this will give you patience. Let your patience show itself perfectly in what you do. Then you will be perfect and complete and will have everything you need. But if any of you needs wisdom, you should ask God for it. He is generous to everyone and will give you wisdom without criticizing you.“
19. Romans 5:2-4 “Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God’s glory. We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.“
20. 1 Peter 5:10-11 “In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation. All power to him forever! Amen.“
21. James 1:12 “God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.“
22. Psalm 28:6-7 “Blessed be the Lord, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. 7 The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.”
23. Psalm 108:1 “My heart is steadfast, O God; I will sing and make music with all my being.”
24. Psalm 56:4 “In God, whose word I praise–in God I trust. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
25. Isaiah 43:19 “For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.”
26. Psalm 55:22 “Our LORD, we belong to you. We tell you what worries us, and you won’t let us fall.”
Bible verses about perseverance in prayer
27. Luke 11:5-9 “Then, teaching them more about prayer, he used this story: “Suppose you went to a friend’s house at midnight, wanting to borrow three loaves of bread. You say to him, A friend of mine has just arrived for a visit, and I have nothing for him to eat. And suppose he calls out from his bedroom, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is locked for the night, and my family and I are all in bed. I can’t help you.’ But I tell you this—though he won’t do it for friendship’s sake, if you keep knocking long enough, he will get up and give you whatever you need because of your shameless persistence. “And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.“
28. Romans 12:12 “Be happy in your confidence, be patient in trouble, and pray continually.“
29. Acts 1:14 “They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.“
30. Psalm 40:1 “I waited patiently for the LORD; He inclined to me and heard my cry.”
31. Ephesians 6:18 “Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints.”
32. Colossians 4:2 (ESV) “Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.”
33. Jeremiah 29:12 “You will call to me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.”
Persevere and do not grow weary
34. Galatians 6:9-10 “So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone–especially to those in the family of faith.“
35. Thessalonians 3:13 “But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.“
Be strong in the Lord
36. 2 Chronicles 15:7 “Be ye strong, therefore, and do not let your hands be weak, for your work shall be rewarded.“
37. Joshua 1:9 “See that I command thee to be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed; for I, the LORD thy God, am with thee wherever thou goest.“
38. 1 Corinthians 16:13 “Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.“
39. Psalm 23:4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.“
40. Job 17:9 “The righteous keep moving forward, and those with clean hands become stronger and stronger.“
41. Psalm 112:6 “Surely he will never be shaken; the righteous man will be remembered forever.”
42. Deuteronomy 31:8 “The LORD Himself goes before you; He will be with you. He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid or discouraged.”
43. James 4:7 “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”
44. 1 Corinthians 13:7 “Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.“
45. Lamentations 3:25-26 “The Lord is good to those who depend on him, to those who search for him. So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the Lord.“
46. James 4:10 “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.“
47. 2 Corinthians 4:17 “For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory.“
48. Colossians 3:12 (KJV) “Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering.”
49. Romans 2:7 “To those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life.”
50. Titus 2:2 “Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.”
Examples of perseverance in the Bible
52. 2 Thessalonians 1:2-4 “Grace and peace to you from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. We ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love all of you have for one another is increasing. Therefore, among God’s churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you are enduring.“
53. Revelation 1:9 “I, John, your brother and fellow participant in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.”
54. Revelation 2:2-3 “I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary.“
55. James 5:11 “As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.“
56. Revelation 3:10 “Because you have obeyed my command to persevere, I will protect you from the great time of testing that will come upon the whole world to test those who belong to this world.”
57. 2 Corinthians 12:12 “I persevered in demonstrating among you the marks of a true apostle, including signs, wonders and miracles.”
58. 2 Timothy 3:10 “But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance.”
59. 1 Timothy 6:11 (NLT) “But you, Timothy, are a man of God; so run from all these evil things. Pursue righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness.”
60. Hebrews 11:26 “He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. 27 By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible.”