Bible verses about spiritual blindness
There are many causes for spiritual blindness such as Satan, pride, ignorance, following blind guides, caring what others think, and more.
When you’re spiritually blind you can’t see Christ because you hardened your heart and won’t come to the knowledge of the truth.
Everyone knows God is real, but people reject Him because they love their sin and don’t want to submit to Him.
Then, Satan comes in the picture and blinds the minds of unbelievers so that they won’t come to the truth.
When you’re spiritually blind you are separated from God and you will continue to lie to yourself. God’s not real, the Bible is false, hell is fake, I’m a good person, Jesus was just a man, etc.
You can give them scripture after scripture, but they will find anything they can to keep and justify their sin. Have you ever wondered how you can continuously tell someone the gospel of Christ and they agree with what you say, but they never repent, and trust in Christ?
The spiritually blind person must cry out to God, but pride stops them. Pride stops people from seeking the truth and opening up their minds to the truth. People choose to remain ignorant.
People in false religions like Catholicism, Mormonism, Islam, Jehovah Witness, etc. are spiritually blind. They reject clear as day passages.
Believers have been given the Spirit of God to fight off Satan. The world is in darkness and Jesus Christ is the light. Why do you think the world only persecutes Christians? The world only hates Christianity.
It doesn’t have a problem with the other false religions because Satan is the god of the world and he loves false religion. If you blaspheme Christianity in a music video you are considered a king or queen.
The world loves you more. If you do that to any other false religion, then it becomes a problem. Open your eyes, you must lose the pride, humble yourself, and seek the light, which is Jesus Christ.
- “One great power of sin is that it blinds men so that they do not recognize its true character.” Andrew Murray
- “In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don’t.” Blaise Pascal
- “The eyes are useless when the mind is blind.”
What does the Bible say?
1. John 14:17-20 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.
2. 1 Corinthians 2:14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.
3. 1 Corinthians 1:18-19 The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God. As the Scriptures say, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and discard the intelligence of the intelligent.”
4. Matthew 15:14 so ignore them. They are blind guides leading the blind, and if one blind person guides another, they will both fall into a ditch.”
5. 1 John 2:11 But anyone who hates another brother or sister is still living and walking in darkness. Such a person does not know the way to go, having been blinded by the darkness.
6. Zephaniah 1:17 “Because you have sinned against the Lord, I will make you grope around like the blind. Your blood will be poured into the dust, and your bodies will lie rotting on the ground.”
7. 1 Corinthians 1:23 but we preach about a crucified Christ, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles.
Satan blinds people.
8. 2 Corinthians 4:3-4 If the Good News we preach is hidden behind a veil, it is hidden only from people who are perishing. Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.
9. 2 Corinthians 11:14 But I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
Because of hardening their heart.
10. John 12:39-40 This is why they could not believe: Isaiah also said, “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, so that they might not perceive with their eyes, and understand with their mind and turn, and I would heal them.”
11. 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12 He will use every kind of evil deception to fool those on their way to destruction, because they refuse to love and accept the truth that would save them. So God will cause them to be greatly deceived, and they will believe these lies. Then they will be condemned for enjoying evil rather than believing the truth.
12. Romans 1:28-32 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done. They are filled with every kind of unrighteousness, wickedness, covetousness, malice. They are rife with envy, murder, strife, deceit, hostility. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, contrivers of all sorts of evil, disobedient to parents, senseless, covenant-breakers, heartless, ruthless. Although they fully know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but also approve of those who practice them.
Failure to obtain the truth.
13. Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being a priest to me. And since you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children.
Scoffing by the spiritually blind.
14. 2 Peter 3:3-4 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.
15. Jude 1:18-19 They said to you, “In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires.” These are the people who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.
16. 1 Corinthians 1:21 or since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.
17. Matthew 13:15-16 For the hearts of these people are hardened, and their ears cannot hear, and they have closed their eyes so their eyes cannot see, and their ears cannot hear, and their hearts cannot understand, and they cannot turn to me and let me heal them. “But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear.
18. Romans 8:7-8 For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God’s laws, and it never will. That’s why those who are still under the control of their sinful nature can never please God.
19. 1 Corinthians 2:15:16 Those who are spiritual can evaluate all things, but they themselves cannot be evaluated by others. For, “Who can know the LORD’s thoughts? Who knows enough to teach him?” But we understand these things, for we have the mind of Christ.
The beauty of Jesus Christ.
20. John 9:39-41 Jesus said, “For judgment I came into this world, that those who do not see may see, and those who see may become blind.” Some of the Pharisees near him heard these things, and said to him, “Are we also blind?” Jesus said to them, “If you were blind, you would have no guilt; but now that you say, ‘We see,’ your guilt remains.
21. John 8:11-12 “No, Lord,” she said. And Jesus said, “Neither do I. Go and sin no more.” Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”
2 Corinthians 3:16 But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.