Bible verses about scoffers
Throughout Scripture we read about scoffers and as time goes on there will be more and more of them. They are everywhere in America. Go and check out a Christian vs atheist debate on YouTube and you will find them. Check out Dan Barker vs Todd Friel debate. These mockers make blasphemous God posters and images. They don’t desire to know the truth. They brush the truth off, laugh, and say lame jokes like you believe in the flying spaghetti monster.
Do not make company with scoffers. If you desire to be a disciple of Christ you will be scoffed at by the world because you take a stand against evil. You will get persecuted for Christ, but there will be a time when every scoffer will be trembling in fear and think back about every idle word that came out of their mouth. God will never be mocked.
The plans for many unbelievers will be to accept Christ on their death bed, but you can’t pull a fast one on God. Many people think, “I’ll scoff now and keep my sins and later I’ll become a Christian.” Many will be in for a rude awaking. A scoffer is a blind man filled with pride who walks with delight on the road to hell. Be very careful because these days many scoffers claim to be Christian.
The last days
Jude 1:17-20 “Dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ said before. They said to you, “In the last times there will be people who laugh about God, following their own evil desires which are against God.” These are the people who divide you, people whose thoughts are only of this world, who do not have the Spirit. But dear friends, use your most holy faith to build yourselves up, praying in the Holy Spirit.”
2 Peter 3:3-8 “First, you must understand this: In the last days people who follow their own desires will appear. These disrespectful people will ridicule God’s promise by saying, “What’s happened to his promise to return? Ever since our ancestors died, everything continues as it did from the beginning of the world.” They are deliberately ignoring one fact: Because of God’s word, heaven and earth existed a long time ago. The earth appeared out of water and was kept alive by water. Water also flooded and destroyed that world. By God’s word, the present heaven and earth are designated to be burned. They are being kept until the day ungodly people will be judged and destroyed. Dear friends, don’t ignore this fact: One day with the Lord is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like one day.”
3. Proverbs 19:29 “Punishment is made for mockers, and the backs of fools are made to be beaten.”
5. Proverbs 26:3-5 “A whip is for the horses, a bridle is for the donkey, a rod is for the back of fools. Don’t answer a fool according to his foolishness, or you will be just like him. Answer a fool according to his foolishness, or he will think himself to be wise.”
6. Isaiah 28:22 “But as for you, don’t start mocking, or your chains will become tighter; for I have heard from the Lord of the Heavenly Armies about destruction, and it is decreed against the whole land.”
7. Proverbs 29:7-9 “The righteous considereth the cause of the poor: but the wicked regardeth not to know it. Scornful men bring a city into a snare: but wise men turn away wrath. If a wise man contendeth with a foolish man, whether he rage or laugh, there is no rest.”
8. Proverbs 3:32-35 “For the devious are an abomination to the LORD; But He is intimate with the upright. The curse of the LORD is on the house of the wicked, But He blesses the dwelling of the righteous. Though He scoffs at the scoffers, Yet He gives grace to the afflicted. The wise will inherit honor, But fools display dishonor.”
9. Psalm 1:1-4 “Great blessings belong to those who don’t listen to evil advice, who don’t live like sinners, and who don’t join those who make fun of God. Instead, they love the Lord’s teachings and think about them day and night. So they grow strong, like a tree planted by a stream— a tree that produces fruit when it should and has leaves that never fall. Everything they do is successful. But the wicked are not like that. They are like chaff that the wind blows away.”
You can’t rebuke rebellious scoffers. They will say stop judging, bigot, you’re a legalist, etc.
10. Proverbs 13:1 “A wise child accepts a parent’s discipline; a mocker refuses to listen to correction.”
11. Proverbs 9:6-8 “Leave off, simple ones [forsake the foolish and simpleminded] and live! And walk in the way of insight and understanding. He who rebukes a scorner heaps upon himself abuse, and he who reproves a wicked man gets for himself bruises. Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate you; reprove a wise man, and he will love you.”
12. Proverbs 15:12 “The evil one does not love him that rebukes him, and he does not walk with the wise.”
God is not mocked
13. Philippians 2:8-12 “He humbled himself, by becoming obedient to the point of death even death on a cross! As a result God highly exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow —in heaven and on earth and under the earth— and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.”
14. Galatians 6:7-8 “Do not be deceived. God will not be made a fool. For a person will reap what he sows, because the person who sows to his own flesh will reap corruption from the flesh, but the one who sows to the Spirit will reap eternal life from the Spirit.”
15. Romans 14:11-12 “For it is written, ‘As I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow to me, and every tongue will give praise to God.” Therefore, each of us will give an account of himself to God.”
Things they say
16. Psalm 73:11-13 “Then they say, “How can God know? Does the Most High have knowledge?” Just look at these wicked people! They’re perpetually carefree as they increase their wealth. I kept my heart pure for nothing and kept my hands clean from guilt.”
17. Isaiah 5:18-19 “What sorrow for those who drag their sins behind them with ropes made of lies, who drag wickedness behind them like a cart! They even mock God and say, “Hurry up and do something! We want to see what you can do. Let the Holy One of Israel carry out his plan, for we want to know what it is.”
18. Jeremiah 17:15 “They keep saying to me, ‘Where is the word of the LORD? Let it now be fulfilled!'”
19. 1 Peter 3:15 “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.”
20. Luke 16:13-14 “No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” The Pharisees, who dearly loved their money, heard all this and scoffed at him. Then he said to them, “You like to appear righteous in public, but God knows your hearts. What this world honors is detestable in the sight of God.”
21. Psalm 73:5-10 “They are not in trouble like others; they are not afflicted like most people. Therefore, pride is their necklace, and violence covers them like a garment. Their eyes bulge out from fatness; the imaginations of their hearts run wild. They mock, and they speak maliciously; they arrogantly threaten oppression. They set their mouths against heaven, and their tongues strut across the earth. Therefore His people turn to them and drink in their overflowing words.”
22. Job 16:20 “My friends scorn me; my eye pours out tears to God.”
23. Isaiah 28:14-15 “Therefore hear the word of the Lord, you mockers who rule this people in Jerusalem. For you said, “We have cut a deal with Death, and we have made an agreement with Sheol; when the overwhelming scourge passes through, it will not touch us, because we have made falsehood our refuge and have hidden behind treachery.”
24. Acts 13:40-41 “So beware that what is said in the prophets does not happen to you: Look, you scoffers, marvel and vanish away, because I am doing a work in your days, a work that you will never believe, even if someone were to explain it to you.”
25. Proverbs 1:22-26 “How long, foolish ones, will you love ignorance? How long will you mockers enjoy mocking and you fools hate knowledge? If you respond to my warning, then I will pour out my spirit on you and teach you my words. Since I called out and you refused, extended my hand and no one paid attention, since you neglected all my counsel and did not accept my correction, I, in turn, will laugh at your calamity. I will mock when terror strikes you.”
John 15:18–19 “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.”