Bible verses about strife
As Christians we are to have nothing to do with strife because it’s always caused by ungodly traits and it leads to arguments. It is caused by things that have no business in Christianity like pride, hate, and jealousy. We are to love others as ourselves, but strife does not do that.
It destroys families, friendships, churches, and marriages. Refrain from anger and keep love because love covers all wrongs.
Never hold a grudge with someone which can hinder your relationship with the Lord. Even if it wasn’t your fault if you have something against someone kindly and humbly talk it out and reconcile your friendship.
What does the Bible say?
1. Proverbs 17:1 Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than an house full of sacrifices with strife.
2. Proverbs 20:3 Avoiding strife brings a man honor, but every fool is quarrelsome.
3. Proverbs 17:14 Starting a quarrel is like letting out water; stop it before strife breaks out!
4. Proverbs 17:19-20 He loveth transgression that loveth strife: and he that exalteth his gate seeketh destruction. He that hath a froward heart findeth no good: and he that hath a perverse tongue falleth into mischief.
5. Proverbs 18:6-7 The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating. The mouths of fools are their undoing, and their lips are a snare to their very lives.
6. 2 Timothy 2:22-23 Stay away from lusts which tempt young people. Pursue what has God’s approval. Pursue faith, love, and peace together with those who worship the Lord with a pure heart. Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments. You know they cause quarrels.
7. Titus 3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.
8. Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
What causes strife?
9. James 4:1 What is causing the quarrels and fights among you? Don’t they come from the evil desires at war within you?
10. Proverbs 10:12 Hatred stirs up trouble, but love forgives all wrongs.
11. Proverbs 13:9-10 The light of the righteous shines brightly, but the lamp of the wicked is snuffed out. Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.
12. Proverbs 28:25 A greedy man stirs up strife, but the one who trusts in the LORD will be enriched.
13. Proverbs 15:18 A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife.
14. Proverbs 16:28 A troublemaker plants seeds of strife; gossip separates the best of friends.
Put others before yourself
15. Philippians 2:3 -4 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.
16. Galatians 5:15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
17. Proverbs 22:10 Drive out a scoffer, and strife will go out, and quarreling and abuse will cease.
18. Romans 1:28-29 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips.
19. Proverbs 26:20 Fire goes out without wood, and quarrels disappear when gossip stops.
Strife is associated with false teachers in the Bible.
21. 1 Timothy 6:3-5 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching,they are conceited and understand nothing. They have an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction between people of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.
22. Habakkuk 1:2-4 O Lord, how long shall I cry, and thou wilt not hear! even cry out unto thee of violence, and thou wilt not save! Why dost thou shew me iniquity, and cause me to behold grievance? for spoiling and violence are before me: and there are that raise up strife and contention. Therefore the law is slacked, and judgment doth never go forth: for the wicked doth compass about the righteous; therefore wrong judgment proceedeth.
23. Psalm 55:8-10 “I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm.” Lord, confuse the wicked, confound their words, for I see violence and strife in the city. Day and night they prowl about on its walls;
malice and abuse are within it.
24. Isaiah 58:4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife, and in striking each other with wicked fists. You cannot fast as you do today and expect your voice to be heard on high.
25. Genesis 13:5-9 And Lot, who went with Abram, also had flocks and herds and tents, so that the land could not support both of them dwelling together; for their possessions were so great that they could not dwell together, and there was strife between the herdsmen of Abram’s livestock and the herdsmen of Lot’s livestock. At that time the Canaanites and the Perizzites were dwelling in the land. Then Abram said to Lot, “Let there be no strife between you and me, and between your herdsmen and my herdsmen, for we are kinsmen. Is not the whole land before you? Separate yourself from me. If you take the left hand, then I will go to the right, or if you take the right hand, then I will go to the left.”