What does the Bible say about being yourself?
We have to be careful when we say things like “just be yourself.” When people say this, they usually mean don’t try to act like something you’re not. For example, the people who try to fit in with a certain crowd by acting out of character, which is being fake.
They try to portray something they’re not. On the other hand, the Bible does not recommend being yourself because self is sinful.
Out of a person’s heart comes sinful thoughts and other sinful things. Scripture teaches us to not walk in the flesh, but walk by the Holy Spirit.
Unbelievers tell the ungodly to be themselves. They say things like “who cares if you’re a glutton be yourself. Who cares if you’re a stripper just be yourself. Who cares if you are a guy and you like having sex with men just be yourself.”
Scripture tells us no you must be born again. We must not follow our sinful nature which leads to death. We must repent of our sins and trust in Christ who died for us.
God says true faith in Christ will make you new. In one sense don’t try to imitate the ungodly. In another sense don’t follow your sin nature, but instead be like Christ.
The Bible doesn’t say to be yourself, it says to be born again.
1. John 3:3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”
When you become a Christian you won’t be the same
You won’t be the same. You will be a new creation when you repent and put your trust in Christ.
2. 2 Corinthians 5:17 So then, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; what is old has passed away–look, what is new has come!
Don’t try to fit in with the ungodly.
3. Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.
4. 1 Peter 4:3 For you spent enough time in the past doing what the gentiles like to do, living in sensuality, sinful desires, drunkenness, wild celebrations, drinking parties, and detestable idolatry.
Be unashamed of Christ:
If you have to act a certain way just to be around a group of people, they should not be your friends.
5. 1 Peter 4:4 Of course, your former friends are surprised when you no longer plunge into the flood of wild and destructive things they do. So they slander you.
6. Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
7. Proverbs 1:10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
8. Galatians 1:10 Am I saying this now to win the approval of people or God? Am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be Christ’s servant.
9. Philippians 2:3 Don’t act out of selfish ambition or be conceited. Instead, humbly think of others as being better than yourselves.
Don’t be yourself, be like Christ.
10. 1 John 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
11. 1 Corinthians 11:1 1 Imitate me, as I also imitate Christ.
Reasons you shouldn’t want to be yourself.
12. Romans 8:5-6 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.
13. Mark 7:20-23 Then He said, “What comes out of a person—that defiles him. For from within, out of people’s hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immoralities, thefts, murders, adulteries, greed, evil actions, deceit, promiscuity, stinginess, blasphemy, pride, and foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a person.”
14. Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions, dissensions, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and anything similar. I tell you about these things in advance—as I told you before—that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
15. Ephesians 5:8 For at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light.