Bible verses about comparing yourself to others
One of the fastest ways of discouraging yourself and getting trapped by the sin of envy is when you compare yourself to others. God has a specific plan for you and you won’t accomplish that plan by looking at others.
Count your blessings and not the blessings of someone else. Let God control your life and give Satan no opportunity to discourage you from the purpose God has for you. Know that all you need is Christ. Set your mind at peace by focusing on the Lord.
Theodore Roosevelt – “Comparison is the thief of joy.”
“Don’t compare yourself to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.”
“A flower does not think of competing to the flower next to it. It just blooms.”
What does the Bible say?
1. Galatians 6:4-5 Each of you must examine your own actions. Then you can be proud of your own accomplishments without comparing yourself to others. Assume your own responsibility.
2. 2 Corinthians 10:12 We wouldn’t put ourselves in the same class with or compare ourselves to those who are bold enough to make their own recommendations. Certainly, when they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves to themselves, they show how foolish they are.
3. 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you. That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.
All it does is lead to envy.
4. James 3:16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.
5. Proverbs 14:30 A tranquil heart gives life to the flesh, but envy makes the bones rot.
6. 1 Corinthians 3:3 For you are still of the flesh. For while there is jealousy and strife among you are you not of the flesh and behaving only in a human way?
Set apart from the world.
7. Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
8. 1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
We don’t live for people.
9. Philippians 2:3 Don’t act out of selfish ambition or be conceited. Instead, humbly think of others as being better than yourselves.
10. Galatians 1:10 Am I saying this now to win the approval of people or God? Am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be Christ’s servant.
11. Isaiah 2:22 Stop regarding man in whose nostrils is breath, for of what account is he?
Give God your all.
12. Mark 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
13. Psalm 37:5 Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act.
14. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
15. 1 Timothy 6:6-8 Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.
16. Psalm 23:1 A psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need.
Be grateful in all situations.
17. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 Whatever happens, give thanks, because it is God’s will in Christ Jesus that you do this.
18. Psalm 136:1-2 Give thanks to the Lord because he is good, because his mercy endures forever. Give thanks to the God of gods because his mercy endures forever.
Compare yourself to Christ instead so you can be more like Him.
19. 2 Corinthians 10:17 As the Scriptures say, “If you want to boast, boast only about the LORD.”
20. 1 Corinthians 11:1 Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.
That way you can live out God’s will for your life.
21. Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
22. Psalm 138:8 The LORD will work out his plans for my life–for your faithful love, O LORD, endures forever. Don’t abandon me, for you made me.
23. 2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!
24. Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
25. Psalm 139:14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.