What does the Bible say about having fun?
Many people think that Christians are uptight people who never have fun, laugh, or smile, which is false. Seriously, we are humans too! I love to laugh and try new things. I love to meet new people and enjoy life with friends. There is something so beautiful about enjoying God’s creation. Scripture encourages us to have a happy heart instead of a crushed one. There’s nothing wrong with doing fun things with friends. There is nothing wrong with going paintball shooting, weightlifting, playing manhunt, bowling, etc.
Now if your definition of fun is sinning, appearing evil, and being part of the world Christians should never have anything to do with this. Don’t try to fit in with the bad crowd and make fake friends. We are not to be club hoppers or worldly party animals. We should always make sure God is OK with our activities in life. If it’s something that Scripture doesn’t condone we should have no part of it.
We must be careful not to make an idol out of our hobbies and never put a stumbling block in front of others as well. At the end of the day enjoy yourself. It is legalism to say Christians can’t have fun. Only a cult would say that. Check out some of these inspirational fun verses below.
Christian quotes about having fun
“I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy. Let’s face it, friends make life a lot more fun.” Chuck Swindoll
Is the word fun in the Bible?
No, the word fun in not in Scripture. However, the Bible has a lot to say about having fun and smiling.
What we learn about fun in the Bible
1. Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 This is what I have observed to be good: that it is appropriate for a person to eat, to drink and to find satisfaction in their toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given them—for this is their lot. Moreover, when God gives someone wealth and possessions, and the ability to enjoy them, to accept their lot and be happy in their toil—this is a gift of God. They seldom reflect on the days of their life, because God keeps them occupied with gladness of heart.
2. Ecclesiastes 8:15 So I recommend the enjoyment of life, for there is nothing better on earth for a person to do except to eat, drink, and enjoy life. So joy will accompany him in his toil during the days of his life which God gives him on earth.
3. Ecclesiastes 2:22-25 What do people get from all of their hard work and struggles under the sun? Their entire life is filled with pain, and their work is unbearable. Even at night their minds don’t rest. Even this is pointless. There is nothing better for people to do than to eat, drink, and find satisfaction in their work. I saw that even this comes from the hand of God. Who can eat or enjoy themselves without God?
4. Ecclesiastes 3:12-13 I have concluded that the only worthwhile thing for them is to take pleasure in doing good in life; moreover, every person should eat, drink, and enjoy the benefits of everything that he undertakes, since it is a gift from God.
Be careful about your idea of fun
5. 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil.
6. James 4:17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.
Make sure your activities are pleasing to the Lord.
7. Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
8. 1 Corinthians 10:31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
9. Ephesians 5:8-11 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light. (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.
10. Colossians 1:10 So as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.
Your fun should never cause another believer to stumble
11. 1 Corinthians 8:9 But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
12. Romans 14:21 It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.
13. 1 Corinthians 8:13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.
14. 2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!
15. 1 Corinthians 6:12 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything.
16. Ephesians 6:11-14 Wear the full armor of God. Wear God’s armor so that you can fight against the devil’s clever tricks. Our fight is not against people on earth. We are fighting against the rulers and authorities and the powers of this world’s darkness. We are fighting against the spiritual powers of evil in the heavenly places. That is why you need to get God’s full armor. Then on the day of evil, you will be able to stand strong. And when you have finished the whole fight, you will still be standing. So stand strong with the belt of truth tied around your waist, and on your chest wear the protection of right living.
Fun times and a happy heart
17. Ecclesiastes 11:9-10 You young people should enjoy yourselves while you’re young. You should let your hearts make you happy when you’re young. Follow wherever your heart leads you and whatever your eyes see. But realize that God will make you give an account for all these things when he judges everyone. Banish sorrow from your heart, and evil from your body, since both childhood and the prime of life are pointless.
18. Proverbs 15:13 A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit.
19. Proverbs 17:22 A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
20. Proverbs 14:30 A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones.