Quotes about the Bible
How do you feel about the Bible? Do you find it challenging to read? Do you view it as another Christian chore that you are struggling with?
What does your personal Bible study life say about your relationship with God? Do you know the beauty behind making a daily habit of reading Scripture?
These are all questions that we should continually be asking ourselves. My hope is that these inspirational Bible quotes are used to help revolutionize your personal Bible study.
The importance of reading the Bible daily quotes
Daily Bible reading is essential to knowing God intimately and to know His will for our lives. The Bible is the heart and mind of God and the more you read Scripture, the more you will have His heart and mind. The Bible is filled with God’s promises to believers, but if we are not in His Word, then we are missing out on Him and His promises. What steps are you taking to ensure that you are in God’s Word daily?
Do you see the importance of spending time with your Creator daily? Take a moment to realize that the glorious Creator of the universe has invited us to know Him more in His Word. He desires to speak to you through the Bible. He desires to be in those daily situations that we go through.
Are you allowing Him to touch you with His Words? If so, then don’t allow your Bible to catch dust. Continue to open up the Bible and allow God to speak. The more you read Scripture the more you will grow in your hatred for sin. The more you read Scripture the more you will desire to live a life pleasing to Him. Everything in our life begins to change when we are in His Word daily.
1. “A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education.” Theodore Roosevelt
2. “Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face.” Ronald Reagan
3. “The Bible shows the way to go to heaven, not the way the heavens go.” Galileo Galilei
4. “The Bible is the cradle wherein Christ is laid.” Martin Luther
5. “If you are ignorant of God’s Word, you will always be ignorant of God’s will.” – Billy Graham
6. “Whether we are reading the Bible for the first time or standing in a field in Israel next to a historian and an archaeologist and a scholar, the Bible meets us where we are. That is what truth does.”
7. “A Bible that’s falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t.”― Charles H. Spurgeon
8. “I believe the Bible is the word of God from cover to cover.” — Billy Sunday
9. “The Bible is not man’s word about God, but God’s word about man.” – John Barth
10. “The object of the Bible is not to tell how good men are, but how bad men can become good.” —Dwight L. Moody
11. “God is the author of the Bible, and only the truth it contains will lead people to true happiness.” — George Muller
12. “The Bible contains all the extant revelations of God, which He designed to be the rule of faith and practice for his Church; so that nothing can rightfully be imposed on the consciences of men as truth or duty which is not taught directly or by necessary implication in the Holy Scriptures.” — Charles Hodge
13. “The Bible will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible.” Dwight L. Moody
14. “I never saw a useful Christian who was not a student of the Bible.” —D. L. Moody
15. “The Bible is one of the greatest blessings bestowed by God on the children of men. It has God for its author; salvation for its end, and truth without any mixture for its matter. It is all pure.”
16. “I’ve experienced His presence in the deepest darkest hell that men can create. I have tested the promises of the Bible, and believe me, you can count on them. I know that Jesus Christ can live in you, in me, through His Holy Spirit. You can talk with Him; you can talk with Him out loud or in your heart when you are alone, as I was alone in solitary confinement. The joy is that He hears each word.” – Corrie Ten Boom
17. “The Bible is meant to be bread for daily use, not cake for special occasions.”
18. “Let us seek friends that will stir up our prayers, our Bible reading, our use of time, and our salvation.” J. C. Ryle
19. “In fact, the Devil is delighted when we spend our time and energy defending the Bible, as long as we do not get around to actually reading the Bible.” R. C. Sproul, Jr.
20. “I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man. All the good from The Savior of the world is communicated to us through this Book.” Abraham Lincoln
21. “No educated man can afford to be ignorant of the Bible.” Theodore Roosevelt
Meditating on God’s Word Quotes
It’s so easy to read the Bible. However, how many of us actually meditate on God’s Word? Let’s examine ourselves. Are we focusing on God and allowing Him to speak to us? Are we seeking to understand what God is communicating through His Word? Are we allowing God to remind us of His faithfulness?
Meditate on Scripture to worship the Lord and to allow Him into your daily walk with Christ. When we mediate on God’s Word, not only are we gaining head knowledge, but we are also cultivating a heart like Christ. Are you currently lacking love? Are you having a hard time trusting the Lord? If so, get into the Word. Meditate on His truths.
When you meditate on the Word day and night you will notice that you have a greater sense of His direction. You will have more of a hunger and desire for His Word. Dullness in your spiritual life begins to diminish and you begin to crave and anticipate time with the Lord. You will also begin to notice that you have more joy and love for others. Don’t miss out on what God desires to do to and through you from the daily mediation of the Bible.
22. “To meditate on Scripture is to allow the truth of God’s Word to move from head to heart. It is to so dwell upon a truth that it becomes part of our being.” — Greg Oden
23. “Delighting in God’s Word leads us to delight in God, and delight in God drives away fear.” David Jeremiah
24. “Fill your mind with God’s Word and you will have no room for Satan’s lies.”
25. “Reading the Bible without meditating on it is like trying to eat without swallowing.”
26. “Scripture suggests that meditating on the Word of God can have an always-on effect of peace and strength in difficult times.” — David Jeremiah
27. “First open your heart, then open your Bible.”
28. “As you read, pause frequently to meditate on the meaning of what you are reading. Absorb the Word into your system by dwelling on it, pondering it, going over it again and again in your mind, considering it from many different angles, until it becomes part of you.”
29. “As we fill our minds with the truth of God’s Word, we will be better able to recognize the lies in our own thinking, as well as the lies that the world presses upon us.”
30. “Every Christian who does not study, really study, the Bible every day is a fool.” R. A. Torrey
31. “Visit many good books, but live in the Bible.”
32. “It is Christ Himself, not the Bible, who is the true Word of God. The Bible, read in the right spirit and with the guidance of good teachers, will bring us to Him.” C. S. Lewis
33. “God’s Word is pure and sure, in spite of the devil, in spite of your fear, in spite of everything.” — R. A. Torrey
34. “The study of God’s Word for the purpose of discovering God’s will is the secret discipline which has formed the greatest characters.” —James W. Alexander
35. “We must study the Bible more. We must not only lay it up within us, but transfuse it through the whole texture of the soul.” —Horatius Bonar
36. “I have sometimes seen more in a line of the Bible than I could well tell how to stand under, and yet at another time the whole Bible hath been to me as dry as a stick.” —John Bunyan
37. “If you don’t get in your Bible your enemy will get in your business.”
38. “Reading the Bible is not where your engagement with the Bible ends. It’s where it begins.”
39. “Visit many good books, but live in the Bible.” Charles H. Spurgeon
40. “The dirtier your Bible, the cleaner your heart!”
41. “Knowledge of the Bible never comes by intuition. It can only be obtained by diligent, regular, daily, attentive reading.” — J.C. Ryle
God’s love in the Bible
Imagine receiving a box of love letters from your spouse who is currently overseas, but you never open the box. You would be missing out on his beautiful intimate words towards you. Unfortunately, many are missing out on God’s beautiful intimate words because we leave His love letters on our book shelf.
God does more than just tell us that He loves us in the Bible. God demonstrates His love for us and invites us into a personal love relationship with Him. Have you ever doubted God’s love you? If so, I encourage you to read His love letters daily. God goes to great lengths to win His bride. In His Word you will see the great price that He paid for you!
42. “If you look at the Bible as a whole, it’s redemptive and beautiful, and it’s God’s love story to mankind.” – Tom Shadyac
43. “The Bible is God’s love letter to us, a Father’s letter of instruction to show us how to live the kind of life he wants to give us.”
44. “The more you read the Bible the more you’ll love the author.”
45. “I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man.” — Abraham Lincoln
46. “The Bible is the only book, where the Author is in love with the reader.”
47. “You do have a love story. It’s in the Bible. It tells you how much God loves you, and how far He went just to win you over.”
48. “God wrote a love letter to imperfect people so we might embrace His perfect, lavish love.”
49. “The Bible is the greatest love story ever told.”
God speaks through His Word
Hebrews 4:12 states that God’s Word is living and active. His Word is alive and has the power to cut deep into our souls. We serve a God who is always speaking. The question for us is, are we always listening to His Voice? Have we begun to cherish His voice and jump at the thought of hearing Him?
When we devote ourselves to God’s Word His voice becomes clearer. Let the preciousness of that statement sink in. “His voice becomes clearer.” I encourage you to pray before and after your read Scripture. Pray that He speaks to you. Meditate on every line of Scripture and allow the Lord to speak life into your soul. Talk to Him as you read, but remember to be a good listener.
50. “When you read God’s Word, you must constantly be saying to yourself, “It is talking to me, and about me.” – Soren Kierkegaard
51. “When you open your Bible, God opens His mouth.” — Mark Batterson
52. “God always keeps His promises.”
53. “God speaks to us, through His Word by His Spirit.” — T. B. Joshua
54. “The Lord promises to guide through His Word, but we have to put ourselves in a position to listen.”
55. “Don’t say God is silent, when your Bible is closed.”
56. “Complaining about a silent God with a closed Bible, is like complaining about no text messages with a turned off phone.”
57. “When people do not mind what God speaks to them in His word, God doth as little mind what they say to Him in prayer.” — William Gurnall
58. “A single line in the Bible has consoled me more than all the books I ever read besides.” — Immanuel Kant
59. “The Bible is the only book whose author is always present when one reads it.”
60. “When in doubt pull your Bible out.”
61. “The primary purpose of reading the Bible is not to know the Bible but to know God.”― James Merritt
62. When you read God’s Word, you must constantly be saying to yourself, “It is talking to me, and about me”. — Soren Kierkegaard
Quotes about applying the Bible to your life
We must never settle with just reading Scripture. Studying the Bible is meant to transform us. We should diligently be meditating, reflecting, and applying Scripture to our lives. When this becomes a habit God’s Word becomes far more empowering and intimate. Examine yourself and look for ways to grow with every page that you read. The Bible is not just a regular book. Look for ways that the Scriptures can help you to grow. Allow these quotes to give you motivation and strength to get into Scripture daily and apply it on your walk with Christ.
63. “The Bible was not given for our information but for our transformation.”― Dwight Lyman Moody
64. “Out of 100 men, one will read the Bible, the other 99 will read the Christian.”
65. “The best way to gain wisdom is by applying God’s Word to your life.”
66. “The Scriptures teach us the best way of living, the noblest way of suffering, and the most comfortable way of dying.” – Flavel
67. “We discover the will of God by a sensitive application of Scripture to our own lives.” — Sinclair B. Ferguson
68. “The Bible is not the light of the world, it is the light of the Church. But the world does not read the Bible, the world reads Christians! “You are the light of the world.” Charles Spurgeon
69. “Most of us want our Bibles to give us simple black-and-white bumper sticker quotes. Mostly because we don’t want to do the hard work of living with the Bible, letting God shape us in an ongoing engagement with these powerful words, but often veiled word.”
70. “Many books can inform you but only the Bible can transform you.”
71. “Bible study is the metal that forges a Christian.” Charles Spurgeon
72. “Bible study is the most essential ingredient in the believer’s spiritual life, because it is only in study of the Bible as that is blessed by the Holy Spirit that Christians hear Christ and discover what it means to follow Him.” James Montgomery Boice
73. “Ultimately, the goal of personal Bible study is a transformed life and a deep and abiding relationship with Jesus Christ.” Kay Arthur
74. “Without implementation, all of our Bible studies are worthless.”
75. “Until the Bible begins to talk to us, we really have not been reading it.” — Aiden Wilson Tozer
Quotes from the Bible
The Bible displays God’s character and nature. There are many verses in the Bible that proclaim the supremacy of God’s Word. Reflect on these good verses about His Word. May these verses encourage you to cultivate a lifestyle of meeting God in His Word and expectantly desiring to grow in your relationship with Him.
76. John 15:7 “If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.”
77. Psalm 119:105 “Your word is a lamp to guide me and a light for my path.”
78. Isaiah 40:8 “The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.”
79. Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”
80. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
81. Matthew 4:4 “But he answered, “It is written, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.”
82. John 1:1 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”
83. James 1:22 “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” (Obedience Bible verses)
84. Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
Christian Quotes for Bible Skeptics
There is no doubt that the Bible is the most scrutinized book in human history. However, just like Proverbs 12:19 tells us, “Truthful words stand the test of time, but lies are soon exposed.” God’s Word has stood the test of time. Check out these quotes by famous figures in Christianity.
85. “The Bible has, amazingly- no doubt with supernatural grace-survived its critics. The harder tyrants try to eliminate it and skeptics dismiss it, the better read it becomes.” — Charles Colson
86. “Men do not reject the Bible because it contradicts itself, but because it contradicts them.” E. Paul Hovey
87. “There is a circularity here I do not doubt. I am defending the Bible by the Bible. Circularity of a kind is unavoidable when one seeks to defend an ultimate standard of truth, for one’s defense must itself be accountable to that standard.” — John M. Frame
88. “The Word of God is like a lion. You don’t have to defend a lion. All you have to do is let the lion loose, and the lion will defend itself.” Charles Spurgeon
89. “The Bible says all men are without excuse. Even those who are given no good reason to believe and many persuasive reasons to disbelieve have no excuse, because the ultimate reason they do not believe is that they have deliberately rejected God’s Holy Spirit.” William Lane Craig
90. “It’s no longer enough to teach our children Bible stories; they need doctrine and apologetics.” William Lane Craig
91. “Scientific accuracy confirms the Bible is the Word of God.” Adrian Rogers
Q1 – What is God teaching you about Himself in His Word?
Q2 – What is God teaching you about yourself?
Q3 – Are you being vulnerable with God about any struggles that you may have reading His Word?
Q4 – Do you have a trusted friend or mentor that you are vulnerable with and accountable to in these struggles?
Q5 – What does your personal Bible study life say about your relationship with God?
Q6 – What’s something that you can remove in your life to replace it with personal Bible study?
Q7- Are you allowing God to speak to you through His Word?