Quotes about prayer
Daily prayer is essential on our walk of faith with Christ. We have to adjust the way that we view prayer. Prayer shouldn’t seem like a burden to us. The Creator of the universe has made a way for us to commune with Him, which is such a privilege.
He longs to talk to us. He longs for us to know Him. He anticipated a love relationship with you. He wants you to share all aspects of your life, even things that may seem meaningless. My hope is that you are not only encouraged by these prayer quotes, but you are also inspired to create a new rhythm of prayer in your life. Find a familiar place where you can get alone with Him daily.
What is prayer?
Prayer is communication between us and the Lord. Prayer is a two-way conversation and we cheapen it if all we do is talk. Let’s not only be good talkers but also good listeners.
1. “Prayer is simply a two-way conversation between you and God.” Billy Graham
2. “Prayer is the link that connects us with God.” A.B. Simpson
3. “I pray, not wish because I have God, not a genie.”
4. “Wishing will never be a substitute for prayer.” Ed Cole
Don’t give up in prayer
It’s so easy to get discouraged when we don’t see our prayers being answered. However, persevere in prayer. Although God may seem silent, remember that God is always working. Jacob wrestled with God and I encourage you to do the same. Jacob said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” Wrestle with God until the battle is won.
5. “Good things come to those who believe, better things come to those who are patient and the best things come to those who don’t give up.”
6. “We have to pray with our eyes on God, not on the difficulties.” Oswald Chambers
7. “Never stop praying, even after God gave you what you prayed for.”
8. “Pray hardest when it’s hardest to pray.”
Never doubt the power of prayer
When I pray I see things happen. When I don’t, then I don’t see things happen. It’s simple. If we don’t pray, then miracles won’t happen. Don’t allow what’s in front of you to cause you to doubt what God can do. We can only see what our eyes allow us to see, but God sees the bigger picture. Prayer can change your situation in a moment. It’s so comforting to know that our prayers cause God to intervene.
9. “Prayer changes everything.”
10. “Our prayers may be awkward. Our attempts may be feeble. But since the power of prayer is in the one who hears it and not in the one who says it, our prayers do make a difference.” – Max Lucado
11. “Prayer delights God’s ear; it melts His heart; and opens His hand. God cannot deny a praying soul.” — Thomas Watson
12. “Pray causes things to happen that wouldn’t happen if you didn’t pray.” John Piper
13. “The greatest tragedy of life is not unanswered prayer, but unoffered prayer.” – F.B. Meyer
14. “God listen to even the smallest prayers.”
15. “I believe above the storm the smallest prayer will still be heard.”
Daily prayer quotes
These quotes are to help you cultivate a lifestyle of prayer. We should be seeking God’s face daily. We should run to Christ in the morning and get alone with Him at night. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 teaches us to pray without ceasing. It might seem almost impossible to do this with work, children, etc. However, we can commune with God while we are involved in different activities. Invite God into your activity. Cultivate a heart of worship which will give you a greater sense of the presence of God.
16. “A day without prayer is a day without blessing, and a life without prayer is a life without power.” – Edwin Harvey
17. “God will lead you where He wants you to be, but you have to talk to Him daily to see where He wants you to go. The key is prayer.”
18. “To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.” Martin Luther
19. “If you only pray when you’re in trouble, you’re in trouble.”
20. “Prayer is the most important conversation of the day. Take it to God before you take it to anyone else.”
21. “Prayer is a necessity; for it is the life of the soul.”
22. “God speaks to those who take time to listen, and He listens to those who take time to pray.”
23. “You live 24 hours a day, you work 8 hours a day, you sleep 8 hours a day, what do you do with the other 8! Put that into years. You live 60 years: you sleep 20 years, you work 20 years, what do you do with the other 20!” – Leonard Ravenhill
24. “Many people don’t pray because they’ve learned to live without prayer.”
Pray with a sincere heart
God doesn’t look at the beauty of our words. He looks at the genuineness of the heart. When our heart does not align with our words, then our prayer is not real. It’s so easy to throw words around. However, God desires a real genuine and intimate relationship. Our prayer life should be fresh and vibrant. Let’s examine ourselves. Have we settled for a dull repetitious prayer life?
25. “Prayers don’t need to be long and eloquent. They need only come from a sincere and humble heart.”
26. “God says, “Whilst praying, your heart must be at peace before God, and it must be sincere. You are truly communing and praying with God; you must not deceive God using nice-sounding words.”
27. “Prayer requires more of the heart than of the tongue.” – Adam Clarke
God hears the cries of our heart
Sometimes the pain in our heart is so severe that it’s difficult for us to speak. When you can’t put your prayer into words, God hears your heart. The silent prayers of a Christian are loud in heaven. God knows how you feel, He understands you, and He knows how to help you.
28. “God understands our prayers even when we can’t find the words to say them.”
29. “Keep praying, even if you have only a whisper left.”
30. “God hears our silent prayers.”
Prayer changes us
You might not be able to see it, but something is happening. You’re changing while you’re praying. Your situation might not have changed yet, but you are conforming into the image of Christ. You are growing as a believer.
31. “Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays.” Soren Kierkegaard
32. “Prayer might not change your circumstances, but it will always change you.”
33. “Before prayer changes others, it first changes us.” — Billy Graham
34. “As well could you expect a plant to grow without air and water as to expect your heart to grow without prayer and faith.” Charles Spurgeon
Thankfulness in prayer
Instead of looking at what we don’t have, let’s grow in praising the Lord for what we do have. One of the fruits of cultivating a heart of gratitude is joy. Let’s make a daily habit of praising the Lord. In doing so, we will also grow in having a healthier view of God.
35. “When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.”
36. “Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer.” ―Maya Angelou
37. “Grow flowers of gratitude in the soil of prayer.”
38. “Thank you’ is the best prayer that anyone could say. I say that one a lot. Thank you expresses extreme gratitude, humility, understanding.” Alice Walker
We need prayer to do God’s will
We can’t do God’s will in the arms of the flesh. We need the spirit of God. The battle is not won on the battlefield. The battle is won in prayer.
39. “Prayer is where the action is.” John Wesley
40. “No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying. We have many organizers, but few agonizers; many players and payers, few pray-ers; many singers, few clingers; lots of pastors, few wrestlers; many fears, few tears; much fashion, little passion; many interferers, few intercessors; many writers, but few fighters. Failing here, we fail everywhere.” Leonard Ravenhill
41. “A man who is intimate with God will never be intimidated by men.” Leonard Ravenhill
42. “Prayer is not a preparation for the battle; it is the battle!” Leonard Ravenhill
43. “Prayer does not fit us for the greater work; prayer is the greater work.” – Oswald Chambers
44. “Prayer is not for the enhancement of our comforts but for the advancement of Christ’s kingdom.” John Piper
45. “Prayer is aligning ourselves with the purposes of God.” – E. Stanley Jones
46. “It’s a wonderful thing when God gets a hold of a man. There is only one thing more wonderful is when a man on Earth gets a hold of God.”
Praying for others
Who else is going to pray for your family, friends, co-workers, etc. Oftentimes, God blesses others through our prayer life. Never stop making intercession for others. Never stop weeping for your unsaved family members.
47. “If you spend time praying for people instead of talking about them, you’ll get better results.”
48. “Notice, we never pray for folks we gossip about, and we never gossip about the folk for whom we pray! For prayer is a great deterrent.” — Leonard Ravenhill
49. “It is really beautiful when someone prays for you without you knowing. It’s the highest form of respect and care.”
50. “When we pray for others, God listens to you and blessed them. So when you are safe and happy, remember that someone is praying for you.”
What’s holding you back?
Is something holding you back from a life of prayer? If so, then remove it. Nothing will be able to satisfy in the way that Christ satisfies.
51. “Prayer will make a man cease from sin, or sin will entice a man to cease from prayer.” ― John Bunyan
52. “Praying and sinning will never live together in the same heart. Prayer will consume sin, or sin will choke prayer.” ― J.C. Ryle, A Call to Prayer
Give your worries to God
Be still for a second and realize that God is near. Be vulnerable before Him and allow the Lord to comfort you. No one understands you like God does. Pray that God opens your eyes to the realization that He has always been with you. In Exodus 14, we are reminded that God will fight for us. Though He may seem silent God is always at work fighting on our behalf.
53. “When your heart is broken, you plant seeds in the cracks and you pray for rain.”
54. “As we pour out our bitterness, God pours in his peace.” – F.B. Meyer
55. “Prayer is an exchange. We leave our burdens, worries and sin in the hands of God. We come away with oil of joy and the garment of praise.” — F.B. Meyer
56. “If you prayed as much as you worried, you’d have much less to worry about.”
57. “If you have time to worry you have time to pray.”
58. “Prayer is bringing your wishes and worries to god, faith is leaving them there.”
You can know everything about God and still not know Him intimately. Let’s go beyond just knowing facts about God. Let’s get to know Him intimately in prayer and experience His amazing presence.
59. “Most of us know about God, but that is quite different from knowing God.” – Billy Graham
60. “Some people pray just to pray and some people pray to know God.” Andrew Murray
Prayer quotes from the Bible
The Bible offers many examples of prayer. Throughout Scripture we are encouraged to be strong and continually call out to the Lord. Knowing this, it comes to no surprise that God’s house is a house of prayer (Mark 11:17).
61. James 5:16 “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.”
62. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
63. Philippians 4:6 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”
64. Psalm 18:6 “In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears.”
65. Psalm 37:4 “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”
66. Isaiah 65:24 “Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.”
Satan wants you to be distracted
Busyness is the death of prayer. Do not be surprised when Satan tries to distract you from prayer.
Distraction from prayer can be things such as answering emails or answering a phone call when you could be spending time with Him. Be on guard so that you can avoid it. There should be nothing stopping you from alone time with the Lord. Even if it’s only for 5 minutes, get alone and spend time with Him.
67. “One of the greatest attacks of the enemy is to make you busy, to make you hurried, to make you noisy, to make you distracted, to fill the people of God and the Church of God with so much noise and activity that there is no room for prayer. There is no room for being alone with God. There is no room for silence. There is no room for meditation.” Paul Washer
68. “Satan tries to limit your praying because he knows your praying will limit him.”
69. “If the devil can’t make us bad, he will make us busy.”
70. “When we don’t pray, we quit the fight. Prayer keeps the Christian’s armor bright. And Satan trembles when he sees. The weakest saint upon his knees.” William Cowper