Quotes about prayer
Daily prayer is essential on our walk of faith with Christ. We have to adjust the way that we view prayer. Prayer shouldn’t seem like a burden to us. The Creator of the universe has made a way for us to commune with Him, which is such a privilege.
He longs to talk to us. He longs for us to know Him. He anticipated a love relationship with you. He wants you to share all aspects of your life, even things that may seem meaningless. My hope is that you are not only encouraged by these prayer quotes, but you are also inspired to create a new rhythm of prayer in your life. Find a familiar place where you can get alone with Him daily.
What is prayer?
Prayer is communication between us and the Lord. Prayer is a two-way conversation and we cheapen it if all we do is talk. The best conversations that we will ever have are back and forth conversations. Make sure that you’re allowing yourself to listen to God. There is so much that the Lord desires to tell you. Let’s not only be good talkers, but also good listeners.
1. “Prayer is simply a two-way conversation between you and God.” Billy Graham
2. “Prayer is the link that connects us with God.” A.B. Simpson
3. “I pray, not wish because I have God, not a genie.”
4. “Wishing will never be a substitute for prayer.” Ed Cole
5. “Prayer: The World’s Greatest Wireless Connection.”
6. “Prayer is exhaling the spirit of man and inhaling the spirit of God.”
7. “Prayer is asking God to align you with His will rather than asking Him to be aligned with yours.”
8. “Prayer is when you talk to God. Meditation is when god talks to you.”
9. “Prayer should not be regarded as a duty which must be performed, but rather as a privilege to be enjoyed.” E.M. Bounds
10. “As is the business of tailors to make clothes and cobblers to make shoes, so it is the business of Christians to pray.” – Martin Luther
11. “Prayer is the one prime, eternal condition by which the Father is pledged to put the Son in possession of the world. Christ prays through His people.” E. M. Bounds
12. The value of persistent prayer is not that He will hear us but that we will finally hear Him. — William McGill.
13. “Prayer is a strong wall and fortress of the church; it is a goodly Christian weapon.” Martin Luther
14. “God does nothing but by prayer, and everything with it.” John Wesley
15. “Prayer is the open admission that without Christ we can do nothing. And prayer is the turning away from ourselves to God in the confidence that He will provide the help we need. Prayer humbles us as needy and exalts God as wealthy.” John Piper
Never stop praying quotes
Don’t give up in prayer. Keep on going!
It’s so easy to get discouraged when we don’t see our prayers being answered. However, persevere in prayer. Although God may seem silent, remember that God is always working. Jacob wrestled with God and I encourage you to do the same. Jacob said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” Wrestle with God until the battle is won.
Also, be honest with God about how you feel. He is not going to be disappointed. Sometimes my prayers are, “Lord I feel discouraged, please help me to pray.” This is humbling myself before the Lord realizing that I need Him in order to persevere in prayer. Keep on fighting in prayer. Don’t give up before He answers. Don’t give up before you truly experience Him in prayer.
Seek Him and be open with Him while on your prayer journey. In every season that we are in, especially in hard times, two of the most impactful words that you should always remember are “He knows.” Be honest with Him because He already knows. What also helps is to find another brother or sister in Christ to encourage you to get in prayer daily.
16. “Good things come to those who believe, better things come to those who are patient and the best things come to those who don’t give up.”
17. “We have to pray with our eyes on God, not on the difficulties.” Oswald Chambers
18. “Never stop praying, even after God gave you what you prayed for.”
19. “Pray hardest when it’s hardest to pray.”
20. “When praying for the Lord’s will about something questionable, don’t give up if you don’t receive clear leading after one prayer; just keep on praying until God makes it clear.” Curtis Hutson
21. “No one has failed who keeps trying and keeps praying.”
22. “Not to pray because you do not feel fit to pray is like saying, “I will not take medicine because I am too ill.” Pray for prayer: pray yourself, by the Spirit’s assistance, into a praying frame.” – Charles Spurgeon
23. “Any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small to be made into a burden.”
The power of prayer quotes
Never doubt the power of prayer. When I pray I see things happen. When I don’t, then I don’t see things happen. It’s simple. If we don’t pray, then miracles won’t happen. Don’t allow what’s in front of you to cause you to doubt what God can do. We can only see what our eyes allow us to see, but God sees the bigger picture.
Prayer can change your situation in a moment. It’s so comforting to know that our prayers cause God to intervene. Yes, ultimately it’s God’s will. However, it is His will that you will pray for something so that He can answer you. I believe we would see more success in our prayer lives if we would just pray for spiritual strength and a hungry heart and zeal for the Lord.
Pray for spiritual and physical healing for sick family and friends. Pray for marriages and relationships to be restored. There are so many things to pray about. It’s up to us to pray for our loved ones. Don’t doubt what God can do through you. Don’t wait for New Year’s Day to start. I encourage you to start praying today. Maybe your prayers are going to be what changes the world!
24. “Prayer changes everything.”
25. “Our prayers may be awkward. Our attempts may be feeble. But since the power of prayer is in the one who hears it and not in the one who says it, our prayers do make a difference.” – Max Lucado
26. “Prayer delights God’s ear; it melts His heart; and opens His hand. God cannot deny a praying soul.” — Thomas Watson
27. “Pray causes things to happen that wouldn’t happen if you didn’t pray.” John Piper
28. “The greatest tragedy of life is not unanswered prayer, but unoffered prayer.” – F.B. Meyer
29. “God listen to even the smallest prayers.”
30. “I believe above the storm the smallest prayer will still be heard.”
31. “God is fighting your battles, arranging things in your favor, and making a way even when you don’t see a way.”
32. “The greatest battles are won when you pray.”
33. “Prayer is the cure for a confused mind, a weary soul, a sickness, and a broken heart.”
34. “When prayer becomes your habit, miracles become your lifestyle. Never give up on prayer no matter what comes your way.”
35. “Every great movement of God can be traced to a kneeling figure.” D.L. Moody
36. “If you are a stranger to prayer, you are a stranger to the greatest source of power known to human beings.” – Billy Sunday
37. “Don’t forgot to pray today, because God didn’t forget to wake you up this morning.”
38. “Beware in your prayers, above everything else, of limiting God, not only by unbelief, but by fancying that you know what He can do. Expect unexpected things ‘above all that we ask or think.” – Andrew Murray
39. “God shapes the world by prayer. Prayers are deathless. They outlive the lives of those who uttered them.” Edward McKendree Bounds
40. “We have to pray with our eyes on God, not on the difficulties. Oswald Chambers.”
Daily prayer quotes
These quotes are to help you cultivate a lifestyle of prayer. We should be seeking God’s face daily. We should run to Christ in the morning and get alone with Him at night. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 teaches us to pray without ceasing. It might seem almost impossible to do this with work, children, etc. However, we can commune with God while we are involved in different activities. Invite God into your activity. Cultivate a heart of worship which will give you a greater sense of the presence of God.
41. “A day without prayer is a day without blessing, and a life without prayer is a life without power.” – Edwin Harvey
42. “God will lead you where He wants you to be, but you have to talk to Him daily to see where He wants you to go. The key is prayer.”
43. “To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.” Martin Luther
44. “If you only pray when you’re in trouble, you’re in trouble.”
45. “Prayer is the most important conversation of the day. Take it to God before you take it to anyone else.”
46. “Prayer is a necessity; for it is the life of the soul.”
47. “God speaks to those who take time to listen, and He listens to those who take time to pray.”
48. “You live 24 hours a day, you work 8 hours a day, you sleep 8 hours a day, what do you do with the other 8! Put that into years. You live 60 years: you sleep 20 years, you work 20 years, what do you do with the other 20!” – Leonard Ravenhill
49. “Many people don’t pray because they’ve learned to live without prayer.”
50. “The sweetest time of the day is when you pray. Because you are talking to the one who loves you the most.
51. “Anything is a blessing which makes us pray.” – Charles Spurgeon
52. “The more often we invite God into our ordinary moments, the more our eyes and hearts will notice Him working.”
53. “Prayer should be the key of the day and the lock of the night.”
54. “Constantly practice the habit of gazing inwardly upon God.” A.W. Tozer
55. “You can see God from anywhere if your mind is set to love and obey Him.” A.W. Tozer
56. “Walking with God down the avenues of prayer we acquire something of His likeness, and unconsciously we become witnesses to others of His beauty and His grace.” E. M. Bounds
Sincere prayer quotes
Pray with a sincere heart. God doesn’t look at the beauty of our words. He looks at the genuineness of the heart. When our heart does not align with our words, then our prayer is not real. It’s so easy to throw words around. However, God desires a real genuine and intimate relationship. Our prayer life should be fresh and vibrant. Let’s examine ourselves. Have we settled for a dull repetitious prayer life?
57. “Prayers don’t need to be long and eloquent. They need only come from a sincere and humble heart.”
58. “God says, “Whilst praying, your heart must be at peace before God, and it must be sincere. You are truly communing and praying with God; you must not deceive God using nice-sounding words.”
59. “Prayer requires more of the heart than of the tongue.” – Adam Clarke
60. “In prayer it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart.” John Bunyan
61. “If you do all the talking when you pray, how will you ever hear God’s answers?” Aiden Wilson Tozer
62. “Don’t worry about having the right words; worry more about having the right heart. It’s not eloquence he seeks, just honesty.” Max Lucado
63. “We must learn to measure ourselves, not by our knowledge about God, not by our gifts and responsibilities in the church, but by how we pray and what goes on in our hearts. Many of us, I suspect, have no idea how impoverished we are at this level. Let us ask the Lord to show us” J. I. Packer
God hears the cries of our heart
Sometimes the pain in our heart is so severe that it’s difficult for us to speak. When you can’t put your prayer into words, God hears your heart. The silent prayers of a Christian are loud in heaven. God knows how you feel, He understands you, and He knows how to help you.
64. “God understands our prayers even when we can’t find the words to say them.”
65. “Keep praying, even if you have only a whisper left.”
66. “God hears our silent prayers.”
Prayer changes us
You might not be able to see it, but something is happening. You’re changing while you’re praying. Your situation might not have changed yet, but you are conforming into the image of Christ. You are growing as a believer.
67. “Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays.” Soren Kierkegaard
68. “Prayer might not change your circumstances, but it will always change you.”
69. “Before prayer changes others, it first changes us.” — Billy Graham
70. “As well could you expect a plant to grow without air and water as to expect your heart to grow without prayer and faith.” Charles Spurgeon
71. “Sometimes all it takes is one prayer to change everything.”
72. “Don’t let your emotions be your decision maker. Stop and pray, let God lead you. He can change everything.”
Thankfulness in prayer
Instead of looking at what we don’t have, let’s grow in praising the Lord for what we do have. One of the fruits of cultivating a heart of gratitude is joy. Let’s make a daily habit of praising the Lord. In doing so, we will also grow in having a healthier view of God.
73. “When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.”
74. “Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer.” ―Maya Angelou
75. “Grow flowers of gratitude in the soil of prayer.”
76. “Thank you’ is the best prayer that anyone could say. I say that one a lot. Thank you expresses extreme gratitude, humility, understanding.” Alice Walker
77. “I still remember the days I prayed for the things I have now.”
We need prayer to do God’s will
We can’t do God’s will in the arms of the flesh. We need the spirit of God. The battle is not won on the battlefield. The battle is won in prayer.
78. “Prayer is where the action is.” John Wesley
79. “No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying. We have many organizers, but few agonizers; many players and payers, few pray-ers; many singers, few clingers; lots of pastors, few wrestlers; many fears, few tears; much fashion, little passion; many interferers, few intercessors; many writers, but few fighters. Failing here, we fail everywhere.” Leonard Ravenhill
80. “A man who is intimate with God will never be intimidated by men.” Leonard Ravenhill
81. “Prayer is not a preparation for the battle; it is the battle!” Leonard Ravenhill
82. “Prayer does not fit us for the greater work; prayer is the greater work.” – Oswald Chambers
83. “Prayer is not for the enhancement of our comforts but for the advancement of Christ’s kingdom.” John Piper
84. “Prayer is aligning ourselves with the purposes of God.” – E. Stanley Jones
85. “It’s a wonderful thing when God gets a hold of a man. There is only one thing more wonderful is when a man on Earth gets a hold of God.”
Praying for others
Who else is going to pray for your family, friends, co-workers, etc. Oftentimes, God blesses others through our prayer life. Never stop making intercession for others. Never stop weeping for your unsaved family members.
86. “If you spend time praying for people instead of talking about them, you’ll get better results.”
87. “Notice, we never pray for folks we gossip about, and we never gossip about the folk for whom we pray! For prayer is a great deterrent.” — Leonard Ravenhill
88. “It is really beautiful when someone prays for you without you knowing. It’s the highest form of respect and care.”
89. “When we pray for others, God listens to you and blessed them. So when you are safe and happy, remember that someone is praying for you.”
What’s holding you back?
Is something holding you back from a life of prayer? If so, then remove it. Nothing will be able to satisfy in the way that Christ satisfies. Also, don’t allow condemnation to stop you from running to the Lord. Don’t think that you can’t run to Him because you’ve sinned again. That is no way to live.
Believe His love for you and believe His grace. Run to Him for forgiveness and cling to Him. God doesn’t want you running away from Him because you feel guilty. After Adam sinned in the Garden, what did he do? He ran from God. However, what did God do? He searched for Adam.
God said, “where are you?” If you are running from the Lord because you feel too ashamed to go to Him again, God is saying, “where are you?” God loves you. He wants you. Run to Him and see that His grace and His presence are far greater than anything that is holding you back.
90. “Prayer will make a man cease from sin, or sin will entice a man to cease from prayer.” ― John Bunyan
91. “Praying and sinning will never live together in the same heart. Prayer will consume sin, or sin will choke prayer.” ― J.C. Ryle, A Call to Prayer
Give your worries to God
Be still for a second and realize that God is near. Be vulnerable before Him and allow the Lord to comfort you. No one understands you like God does. Pray that God opens your eyes to the realization that He has always been with you. In Exodus 14, we are reminded that God will fight for us. Though He may seem silent God is always at work fighting on our behalf.
92. “When your heart is broken, you plant seeds in the cracks and you pray for rain.”
93. “As we pour out our bitterness, God pours in his peace.” – F.B. Meyer
94. “Prayer is an exchange. We leave our burdens, worries and sin in the hands of God. We come away with oil of joy and the garment of praise.” — F.B. Meyer
95. “If you prayed as much as you worried, you’d have much less to worry about.”
96. “If you have time to worry you have time to pray.”
97. “Prayer is bringing your wishes and worries to god, faith is leaving them there.”
You can know everything about God and still not know Him intimately. Let’s go beyond just knowing facts about God. Let’s get to know Him intimately in prayer and experience His amazing presence.
98. “Most of us know about God, but that is quite different from knowing God.” – Billy Graham
99. “Some people pray just to pray and some people pray to know God.” Andrew Murray
100. “God, let your voice become the loudest one I hear and the one I’m most sensitive to.”
101. “A man may study because his brain is hungry for knowledge, even Bible knowledge. But he prays because his soul is hungry for God.” Leonard Ravenhill
102. “Men who know their God are before anything else men who pray, and the first point where their zeal and energy for God’s glory come to expression is in their prayers. If there is little energy for such prayer, and little consequent practice of it, this is a sure sign that as yet we scarcely know our God.” J. I. Packer
103. “God gave us two ears and one mouth, so we ought to listen twice as much as we speak.”
104. “The circumstances of our lives are another medium of God’s communication with us. God opens some doors and closes others… The happy coincidences and frustrating impasses of daily life are laden with messages. Patient listening and the grace of the Spirit are the decoding devices of prayer. It is a good habit to ask, What is God saying to me in this situation? Listening is part of prayer.”
105. “I think that some of the greatest prayer is prayer where you don’t say one single word or ask for anything.” A.W. Tozer
Prayer quotes from the Bible
The Bible offers many examples of prayer. Throughout Scripture we are encouraged to be strong and continually call out to the Lord. Knowing this, it comes to no surprise that God’s house is a house of prayer (Mark 11:17).
106. James 5:16 “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.”
107. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
108. Philippians 4:6 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”
109. Psalm 18:6 “In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears.”
110. Psalm 37:4 “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”
111. Isaiah 65:24 “Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.”
Satan wants you to be distracted
Busyness is the death of prayer. Satan wants to do all that he can to make Christians busy. Do not be surprised when Satan tries to distract you from prayer.
Distraction from prayer can be things such as answering emails or answering a phone call when you could be spending time with the Lord. It could be something as simple as watching extra episodes of your favorite show. It could even be having your phone nearby which can be a tempting option if you’re not focused in prayer.
Be on guard so that you can avoid it. Satan will employ various strategies to stop you from praying. Knowing this should help you to identify the schemes of Satan. He knows your weakness and he knows exactly how to tempt you. What are things that you can do to stop his schemes? For example, in my own prayer life my phone is my weakness. Knowing this, I put my phone away when it’s time for me to pray. If I don’t do this, then I could easily find myself looking at emails or something on the web. There should be nothing stopping you from alone time with the Lord. Even if it’s only for 5 minutes, get alone and spend time with God.
112. “One of the greatest attacks of the enemy is to make you busy, to make you hurried, to make you noisy, to make you distracted, to fill the people of God and the Church of God with so much noise and activity that there is no room for prayer. There is no room for being alone with God. There is no room for silence. There is no room for meditation.” Paul Washer
113. “It’s not that you lack time it’s a lack of desire.”
114. “Satan tries to limit your praying because he knows your praying will limit him.”
115. “If the devil can’t make us bad, he will make us busy.”
116. “When we don’t pray, we quit the fight. Prayer keeps the Christian’s armor bright. And Satan trembles when he sees. The weakest saint upon his knees.” William Cowper
117. “Satan does not care how many people read about prayer if only he can keep them from praying.” —Paul E. Billheimer
118. “Pray often, for prayer is a shield to the soul, a sacrifice to God, and a scourge for Satan.” John Bunyan
119. “The one concern of the devil is to keep Christians from praying. He fears nothing from prayerless studies, prayerless work, and prayer-less religion. He laughs at our toil, mocks at our wisdom, but trembles when we pray.” Samuel Chadwick
120. “It is a common temptation of Satan to make us give up the reading of the Word and prayer when our enjoyment is gone; as if it were of no use to read the Scriptures when we do not enjoy them, and as if it were no use to pray when we have no spirit of prayer.” George Muller
Q1 – What is God teaching you about prayer?
Q2 – What is your prayer life like?
Q3 – How can you start making prayer a habit?
Q4 – Have you brought your struggles in prayer to God? If not, start doing that today.
Q5 – What distracts you the most in prayer? What are practical things that you can do to minimize those distractions?
Q6 – What time is the best time for you to pray? Why not make it a habit to pray at that time?
Q7 – What are things that you can start praying about today?
Q8 – Will you take a moment to be still in prayer to allow God to speak to you?
Q9 – Do you have a Christian friend who you can encourage and who can encourage you in prayer?
I really enjoyed these prayer quotes. They really helped me a lot. I am planning to show them to others; including my husband.
Great inspirational quotes about prayer to become a Christ like warrior in this changing and challenging world, full of miseries!
God, the Father bless you all.
With light and love,
I am more blessed and inspired than ever. Prayer is a powerful weapon. I want the lifestyle of prayer. Please pray for me & my husband & my son, so we can we can all grow in our prayer lives.
Thank you all and God bless.
Thank you for commenting! Glad that you were inspired. Prayer is indeed a powerful weapon at the disposal of believers. Let’s take advantage of it.
God wants us to come to Him in prayer and believe that He hears our petitions. Thank you for sharing your desire to grow in prayer.
I’lll pray for your family, that you all will be prayer warriors for God’s Kingdom.
Thank you for spreading the Word of God to us. You’re right! Even spending five seconds with God still counts, but I’m going to spend more time with Him.
Let’s continue to build our muscles for prayer. Let’s make a habit of talking to the Lord every day. When we get alone with Jesus regularly, we will notice a difference in our desire to pray and notice a difference in our walk with the Lord. I’m encouraged and motivated by your comment. Go and seek His face. Cry out for more of His presence in your life. I will do the same! Thank you for stopping by.
Thanks for this timely reminder. My prayer life has been flagging. This brought a renewal to strengthen my resolve to pray more for my family. God is majestic beyond measure. I give God thanks daily. Deeper and more meaningful prayers. Blessings
I really do appreciate your honesty. If we’re honest, we’ve all felt this way about our prayer lives. Let’s praise the Lord for His love and grace. His grace is greater than our weaknesses and it strengthens us in our time of need. God is always lovingly calling us to spend time with Him in prayer. Set a time and place where you can be alone with the Lord. Don’t let anything get in the way of you and Him. Watch out for any distracts as you pursue God. As you said, take a moment to just give Him praise for He is good and is faithful. I loved your comment. I will be praying for you and your family.
Thank you for your encouragement and prayers.
Blessings and always God’s love ..Carol
I have been so blessed by these prayer quotes, they have really changed my perspective of prayer.
I’m really thrilled to hear how these quotes have caused you to consider prayer more. It’s awesome to read and hear different perspectives from other Christians.
It really does motivate us to keep on praying and to remain on our knees waiting for God to answer our prayers. There is so much of God to experience in prayer.
I always have to be still and reflect on my own prayer life. Am I praying in a way that reveals my belief in the power of God working through prayer? If I’m honest, often times, the answer is no. That is why I always need God to move in me. Also, quotes such as these are important because they encourage us, inspire us, and remind us of the importance of prayer.
I LOVE THIS POST, IT HAS OPENED MY EYES THE WONDROUS WORKS OF PRAYERS. I WILL NOT GIVE UP IN PRAYING.
Awesome GOD: Prayer is the power I need to connect to GOD