Definition of hate in the Bible
Hate is a strong word that should never be used. The only time that we should hate on our Christian walk of faith is when it comes to sin. We should always hate sin and evil and continually be at war with them. We should be at war with the sin of hating others.
We must walk by the Spirit and ask the Holy Spirit to help us with any anger or resentment we might have towards others.
We must not dwell on the negative, which only makes matters worse. We must seek reconciliation and be able to forgive.
Holding a grudge is basically holding hatred in your heart and God makes it clear, if you won’t forgive others, He won’t forgive you.
The person who stores hate in their heart for someone is walking in darkness.
If you say you’re a Christian yet you hate someone, Scripture says that you’re a liar.
Christian quotes about hate
“Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too.” Will Smith
“When boiled down to its essence, unforgiveness is hatred.” John R. Rice
“Hating people is like burning down your own house to get rid of a rat.” Harry Emerson Fosdick
“You will never really love until you love someone who hates you.” Jack Hyles
“I will tell you what to hate. Hate hypocrisy; hate cant; hate intolerance, oppression, injustice, Pharisaism; hate them as Christ hated them – with a deep, abiding, God-like hatred.” Frederick W. Robertson
“So there is such a thing as perfect hatred, just as there is such a thing as righteous anger. But it is a hatred for God’s enemies, not our own enemies. It is entirely free of all spite, rancor and vindictiveness, and is fired only by love for God’s honor and glory.” John Stott
“Too many Christians become bitter and angry in the conflict. If we descend into hatefulness, we have already lost the battle. We must cooperate with God in turning what was meant for evil into a greater good within us. This is why we bless those who would curse us: It is not only for their sakes but to preserve our own soul from its natural response toward hatred.” Francis Frangipane
What does the Bible say about hate?
1. 1 John 4:19-20 We love because God first loved us. Whoever says, “I love God,” but hates his brother is a liar. The one who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love the God whom he has not seen.
2. 1 John 2:8-11 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth. He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now. He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.
3. 1 John 1:6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth.
Hate in your heart is equivalent to murder.
4. 1 John 3:14-15 If we love our Christian brothers and sisters, it proves that we have passed from death to life. But a person who has no love is still dead. Anyone who hates another brother or sister is really a murderer at heart. And you know that murderers don’t have eternal life within them.
5. Leviticus 19:17-18 You must not hate your brother in your heart. You must surely reprove your fellow citizen so that you do not incur sin on account of him. You must not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the children of your people, but you must love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.
When hating is acceptable
6. Psalm 97:10 You who love the LORD, hate evil! He protects the lives of his godly people and rescues them from the power of the wicked.
7. Romans 12:9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
8. Proverbs 13:5 The righteous hates falsehood, but the wicked brings shame and disgrace.
9. Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.
Love Instead of hate
10. Proverbs 10:12 Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs.
11. 1 Peter 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
12. 1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
God is not only love, it is clear from Scripture that God Hates.
13. Malachi 1:2-3 “I loved you,” says the LORD. “But you ask, ‘How did you love us?’ “Wasn’t Esau Jacob’s brother?” declares the LORD. “I loved Jacob, but Esau I hated. I turned his mountains into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the jackals in the desert.
14. Proverbs 6:16-19 There are six things the Lord hates— no, seven things he detests: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that kill the innocent, a heart that plots evil, feet that race to do wrong, a false witness who pours out lies, a person who sows discord in a family.
15. Psalm 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
16. Psalm 11:5 The Lord trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.
We must quickly forgive other before bitterness turns into hatred.
17. Matthew 5:23-24 So if you are presenting a sacrifice at the altar in the Temple and you suddenly remember that someone has something against you, leave your sacrifice there at the altar. Go and be reconciled to that person. Then come and offer your sacrifice to God.
18. Hebrews 12:15 Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many.
19. Ephesians 4:31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.
20. Matthew 10:22 And all nations will hate you because you are my followers. But everyone who endures to the end will be saved.
21. Matthew 24:9 “Then you will be arrested, persecuted, and killed. You will be hated all over the world because you are my followers.
22. Ecclesiastes 3:7-8 A time to tear and a time to mend. A time to be quiet and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate. A time for war and a time for peace.
23. Proverbs 10:18 He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.
24. Galatians 5:20-21 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Examples of hate in the Bible
25. Genesis 37:3-5 Jacob loved Joseph more than any of his other children because Joseph had been born to him in his old age. So one day Jacob had a special gift made for Joseph–a beautiful robe. But his brothers hated Joseph because their father loved him more than the rest of them. They couldn’t say a kind word to him. One night Joseph had a dream, and when he told his brothers about it, they hated him more than ever.
Glory to God hope to build and grow my inner soul.
Thank you Lord for everything.
I was very impressed with the statement, hating someone is like burning your own house down to get rid of a rat. I loved the Bible studies. So enlightening.
There is someone who hates me because of some words I used out of anger and I apologized after but the person is still angry and doesn’t want to talk to me🥺😞.
But after reading this I know the time will come for the person to forgive me