Bible verses about silence
There are times when we are to remain silent and there are times when we are to speak up. The times when Christians are to remain silent are when we’re removing ourselves from conflict, listening to instruction, and when controlling our speech. Sometimes we must go before the Lord and stand still in His presence. Sometimes we need to be silent and get away from distractions to hear the Lord.
It is essential in our walk with the Lord that we learn how to be in silence before Him. Sometimes silence is a sin.
It is a shame that many of today’s so-called Christians are silent when it’s time to speak out against sin and evil.
As Christians we are to preach the Word of God, discipline, and rebuke others. Many Christians are so worldly they’re afraid to stand up for God and save lives. They would rather people burn in hell than tell people the truth.
It’s our job to speak up against evil because if we don’t who will? I encourage everyone to pray for courage to help with speaking up for what’s right and pray for help to remain silent when we must be silent.
- Silence is a source of great strength.
- Wise men are not always silent, but they know when to be.
- God is the best listener. You don’t need to shout nor cry out loud because He hears even the silent prayer of a sincere heart!
What does the Bible say?
1. Ecclesiastes 9:17 The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded than the shouts of a ruler of fools.
2. Ecclesiastes 3:7-8 a time to tear and a time to sew; a time to be silent and a time to speak; a time to love and a time to hate; a time for war and a time for peace.
Be silent in anger situations.
3. Ephesians 4:26 Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on the cause of your anger.
4. Proverbs 17:28 Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent; with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent.
5. Proverbs 29:11 A fool lets fly with all his temper, but a wise person keeps it back.
6. Proverbs 10:19 Transgression is at work where people talk too much, but anyone who holds his tongue is prudent.
Be silent from speaking evil.
7. Proverbs 21:23 Whoever guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.
8. Ephesians 4:29 No foul language is to come from your mouth, but only what is good for building up someone in need, so that it gives grace to those who hear.
9. Psalm 141:3 O LORD, set a guard at my mouth. Keep watch over the door of my lips.
10. Proverbs 18:13 If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame
We must not be silent when it comes to warning others and exposing evil.
11. Ezekiel 3:18-19 If I say to the wicked person, ‘You will surely die,’ but you do not warn him—you don’t speak out to warn him about his wicked way in order to save his life—that wicked person will die for his iniquity. Yet I will hold you responsible for his blood. But if you warn a wicked person and he does not turn from his wickedness or his wicked way, he will die for his iniquity, but you will have saved your life.
12. Ephesians 5:11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.
Why not to remain silent?
13. James 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.
14. Galatians 6:1 Brothers, even if a person is caught in some transgression, you who are spiritual should correct that one in a gentle spirit, looking to yourself, so that you also may not be tempted.
The world will hate you for not being silent on what’s right, but we’re not of the world.
15. John 15:18-19 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
We must speak up for those who can’t speak up for themselves.
16. Proverbs 31:9 Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the rights of the afflicted and oppressed.
17. Isaiah 1:17 Learn to do what is good. Seek justice. Correct the oppressor. Defend the rights of the fatherless. Plead the widow’s cause.
Be silent when listening to advice.
18. Proverbs 19:20-21 Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future. Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.
Waiting patiently for the Lord
19. Lamentations 3:25-26 The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the person who searches for him. It is good to hope and wait patiently for the LORD’s salvation.
20. Psalm 27:14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
21. Psalm 62:5-6 My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be shaken.
Be silent and be still in the presence of the Lord.
22. Zephaniah 1:7 Stand in silence in the presence of the Sovereign LORD, for the awesome day of the LORD’s judgment is near. The LORD has prepared his people for a great slaughter and has chosen their executioners.
23. Luke 10:39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word.
24. Mark 1:35 Then Jesus got up early in the morning when it was still very dark, departed, and went out to a deserted place, and there he spent time in prayer.
25. Psalm 37:7 Be silent in the LORD’s presence and wait patiently for him. Don’t be angry because of the one whose way prospers or the one who implements evil schemes.