What does the Bible say about violence?
Yesterday there was a huge riot in Baltimore. We live in a world full of violence and it will only worsen from here. Many critics say that the Bible condones violence, which is false. God condemns violence. We must understand that sometimes there is a need for war.
We must also understand that God is holy and His holy just judgement on sin is not like our sinful violence towards each other.
Even though we’re in this world we are never to envy it and follow its evil ways.
Violence only creates more of it and it will take you to hell as well because Christians are to have no part of it.
Violence is not only physically harming someone it’s also carrying evil against someone in your heart and speaking evil to someone. Stop the violence and seek peace instead.
Christian quotes about violence
“Violence is not the answer.”
“Nothing good ever comes of violence.”
“Anger is [not] in itself sinful, but…it may be the occasion for sin. The issue of self-control is the question of how we deal with anger. Violence, tantrums, bitterness, resentment, hostility, and even withdrawn silence are all sinful responses to anger.” R.C. Sproul
“Revenge… is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion.” Albert Schweitzer
The Bible talks about violence in the world
1. Proverbs 13:2 From the fruit of their lips people enjoy good things, but the unfaithful have an appetite for violence.
2. 2 Timothy 3:1-5 But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.
3. Matthew 26:51-52 But one of the men with Jesus pulled out his sword and struck the high priest’s slave, slashing off his ear. “Put away your sword,” Jesus told him. “Those who use the sword will die by the sword.
God hates the wicked
4. Psalm 11:4-5 The LORD is in His holy temple; the LORD’S throne is in heaven; His eyes behold, His eyelids test the sons of men. 5 The LORD tests the righteous and the wicked, And the one who loves violence His soul hates. 6 Upon the wicked He will rain snares; Fire and brimstone and burning wind will be the portion of their cup.
5. Psalm 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
6. Psalm 7:11 God is an honest judge. He is angry with the wicked every day.
Don’t retaliate to violence
7. Matthew 5:39 But I say to you, do not resist the evildoer. But whoever strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other to him as well.
8. 1 Peter 3:9 Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.
9. Romans 12:17-18 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
Verbal abuse and the mouth of the ungodly
10. Proverbs 10:6-7 Blessings are upon the head of the just: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked. The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot.
11. Proverbs 10:11 The words of the godly are a life-giving fountain; the words of the wicked conceal violent intentions.
12. Proverbs 10:31-32 The mouth of the godly person gives wise advice, but the tongue that deceives will be cut off. The lips of the godly speak helpful words, but the mouth of the wicked speaks perverse words.
God is not mocked, vengeance is for the Lord
13. Hebrews 10:30-32 For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
14. Galatians 6:8 Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.
Seek peace and not violence
15. Psalm 34:14 Turn away from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
God’s protection from violence
16. Psalm 140:4 O LORD, keep me out of the hands of the wicked. Protect me from those who are violent, for they are plotting against me.
17. 1 Timothy 3:2-3 Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.
18. Proverbs 16:29 Violent people mislead their companions, leading them down a harmful path.
19. Proverbs 3:31-33 Don’t envy violent people or copy their ways. Such wicked people are detestable to the LORD, but he offers his friendship to the godly. The LORD curses the house of the wicked, but he blesses the home of the upright.
20. Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions, dissensions, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and anything similar. I tell you about these things in advance—as I told you before—that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Examples of violence in the Bible
21. Proverbs 4:17 For they eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence.
22. Habakkuk 2:17 You cut down the forests of Lebanon. Now you will be cut down. You destroyed the wild animals, so now their terror will be yours. You committed murder throughout the countryside and filled the towns with violence.
23. Zephaniah 1:9 On that day I will punish everyone who leaps over the threshold, and those who fill their master’s house with violence and fraud.
24. Obadiah 1:8-10 “In that day,” declares the LORD, “will I not destroy the wise men of Edom, those of understanding in the mountains of Esau? Your warriors, Teman, will be terrified, and everyone in Esau’s mountains will be cut down in the slaughter. Because of the violence against your brother Jacob, you will be covered with shame; you will be destroyed forever.
25. Ezekiel 45:9 Thus says the Lord GOD: Enough, O princes of Israel! Put away violence and oppression, and execute justice and righteousness. Cease your evictions of my people, declares the Lord GOD.