What does the Bible say about turning the other cheeck?
Scripture repeatedly tells us we are to always overlook an offense. Be an imitator of Christ. When He was slapped did He slap back? No, and in the same way if someone insults or slaps us we are to turn away from that person.
Violence and violence equals more violence. Instead of a fist or an insult, let’s repay our enemies with prayer. Never try to take the role of the Lord, but let Him avenge you.
Christian quotes about turning the other cheek
“Show respect to people who don’t even deserve it; not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours.
“You can’t change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.”
“Sometimes it’s better to react with no reaction.”
Bible verses about turning the other cheek
1. Matthew 5:38-39 You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But I tell you not to resist an evildoer. On the contrary, whoever slaps you on the right cheek, turn the other to him as well.
2. Proverbs 20:22 Say not thou, I will recompense evil; but wait on the Lord, and he shall save thee.
3. 1 Thessalonians 5:15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.
4. 1 Peter 3:8-10 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing. For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile.
5. Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.
6. Romans 12:19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”
Loving difficult people
7. Luke 6:27 But I say to you who are listening: Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you.
8. Luke 6:35 Instead, love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them, expecting nothing in return. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind even to ungrateful and evil people.
9, Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.
10. Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
11. Luke 6:28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
12. Romans 12:14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
13. 1 Corinthians 4:12 we labor, working with our own hands. When we are reviled, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it.
Feed your enemies
14. Romans 12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
15. Proverbs 25:21 If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink.
Examples of turning the cheek in the Bible
16. John 18:22-23 When Jesus said this, one of the officials nearby slapped him in the face. “Is this the way you answer the high priest?” he demanded.”If I said something wrong,” Jesus replied, “testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?”
17. Matthew 26:67 Then they spit in his face and struck him with their fists. Others slapped him.
18. John 19:3 and went up to him again and again, saying, “Hail, king of the Jews!” And they slapped him in the face.
19. 2 Chronicles 18:23-24 Then Zedekiah son of Kenaanah walked up to Micaiah and slapped him across the face. “Since when did the Spirit of the LORD leave me to speak to you?” he demanded. And Micaiah replied, “You will find out soon enough when you are trying to hide in some secret room!”
20. 1 Samuel 26:9-11 But David said to Abishai, “Don’t destroy him! Who can lay a hand on the Lord’s anointed and be guiltless? As surely as the Lord lives,” he said, “the Lord himself will strike him, or his time will come and he will die, or he will go into battle and perish. But the Lord forbid that I should lay a hand on the Lord’s anointed. Now get the spear and water jug that are near his head, and let’s go.”