What does the Bible say about revenge?
The eye for an eye quote should not be used to seek retaliation. Not only did Jesus teach us to turn the other way, but He also showed us with His life. The sinful self wants to lash out in anger. It wants others to feel the same pain. It wants to curse, yell, and fight.
We must stop living by the flesh and live by the Spirit. We must give all our evil and sinful thoughts to God.
Dwelling on something someone has done to you will boil up rage inside you which will lead to seeking revenge.
We are supposed to love our enemies and forgive them. Vengeance is for the Lord. Never take matters into your own hands, which is taking the role of God. Pray for a change in yourself.
Pray for your enemies and bless the ones who mistreat you. From experience I know it’s so easy to say another word, but we mustn’t. Let God get the last word.
Christian quotes about revenge
“The only revenge which is essentially Christian is that of retaliating by forgiveness.” Frederick William Robertson
“While seeking revenge, dig two graves – one for yourself.” Douglas Horton
“A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green.” Francis Bacon
“How beautiful it is to stay silent when someone expects you to be enraged.”
“Be happy, it drives people crazy.”
“Revenge… is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion.” Albert Schweitzer
“Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.” Martin Luther King, Jr.
“Revenge indeed seems often sweet to men, but oh, it is only sugared poison, only sweetened gall. Forgiving enduring love alone is sweet and blissful and enjoys peace and the consciousness of God’s favor. By forgiving it gives away and annihilates the injury. It treats the injurer as if he had not injured and therefore feels no more the smart and sting that he had inflicted. “William Arnot
“It is more honor to bury an injury than to revenge it.” Thomas Watson
Vengeance is for the Lord
1. Romans 12:19 Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say, “I will take revenge; I will pay them back,” says the LORD.
2. Deuteronomy 32:35 To me belongeth vengeance, and recompence; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste.
3. 2 Thessalonians 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
4. Psalm 94:1-2 O LORD, the God of vengeance, O God of vengeance, let your glorious justice shine forth! Arise, O judge of the earth. Give the proud what they deserve.
5. Proverbs 20:22 Don’t say “I’ll avenge that wrong!” Wait on the LORD and he will deliver you.
6. Hebrews 10:30 For we know him who said, “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” and again, “The Lord will judge his people.”
7. Ezekiel 25:17 I will execute terrible vengeance against them to punish them for what they have done. And when I have inflicted my revenge, they will know that I am the LORD.”
Turn the other cheek
8. Matthew 5:38-39 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
9. 1 Peter 3:9 Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it.
10. Proverbs 24:29 And don’t say, “Now I can pay them back for what they’ve done to me! I’ll get even with them!”
11. Leviticus 19:18 “Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against a fellow Israelite, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.
12. 1 Thessalonians 5:15 See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone.
13. Romans 12:17 Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. I will take revenge.
Forgive others instead of seeking revenge
14. Matthew 18:21-22 Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times? “No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy times seven!
15. Ephesians 4:32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.
16. Matthew 6:14-15 “If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.
17. Mark 11:25 But when you are praying, first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins, too.
Aim to live in peace with others
2 Corinthians 13:11 Dear brothers and sisters, I close my letter with these last words: Be joyful. Grow to maturity. Encourage each other. Live in harmony and peace. Then the God of love and peace will be with you.
1 Thessalonians 5:13 Show them great respect and wholehearted love because of their work. And live peacefully with each other.
Retaliation and loving your enemies.
18. Luke 6:27-28 But to you who are willing to listen, I say, love your enemies! Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you.
20. Proverbs 25:21 If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.
21. Matthew 5:44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
22. Matthew 5:40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.
Examples of revenge in the Bible
23. Matthew 26:49-52 So Judas came straight to Jesus. “Greetings, Rabbi!” he exclaimed and gave him the kiss. Jesus said, “My friend, go ahead and do what you have come for.” Then the others grabbed Jesus and arrested him. But one of the men with Jesus pulled out his sword and struck the high priest’s slave, slashing off his ear. “Put away your sword,” Jesus told him. “Those who use the sword will die by the sword.
24. 1 Samuel 26:9-12 “No!” David said. “Don’t kill him. For who can remain innocent after attacking the Lord’s anointed one? Surely the Lord will strike Saul down someday, or he will die of old age or in battle. The Lord forbid that I should kill the one he has anointed! But take his spear and that jug of water beside his head, and then let’s get out of here!” So David took the spear and jug of water that were near Saul’s head. Then he and Abishai got away without anyone seeing them or even waking up, because the Lord had put Saul’s men into a deep sleep.
25. 1 Peter 2:21-23 For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps. He never sinned, nor ever deceived anyone. He did not retaliate when he was insulted, nor threaten revenge when he suffered. He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly.