What does the Bible say about betrayal?
Being betrayed by a friend or a family member is one of the worst feelings ever. Sometimes the emotional pain is far worse than that of physical pain. The question is, how do we handle betrayal? The first thing our flesh wants to do is get revenge. If not physically, then in our minds.
We must be still. We must take our minds off the situation and put our focus on Christ.
If we keep on thinking about the situation, then it will only build up anger.
We must give all our problems to the Lord. He will calm the storm within us. We must follow the example of Christ who was also betrayed. Look at how much God forgave us.
Let’s forgive others. We must rest upon the Spirit. We must ask the Spirit to help us love our enemies and to remove any bitterness and anger lurking in our hearts.
Understand that all the difficult things we face in life God will use it for His great purpose. Just like Joseph said, “you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good.”
When you set your mind on Christ there is an amazing peace and love feeling that He will provide. Go find a quiet place. Cry out to God. Allow God to help your pain and hurt. Pray for your betrayer just like Christ prayed for His enemies.
Christian quotes about betrayal
“The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies.”
“Forgiveness doesn’t excuse their behavior. Forgiveness prevents their behavior from destroying your heart.”
“To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.”
“A very small degree of betrayal is sufficient to cause the death of trust.”
“Life will betray you; God will never.”
Betrayal of friends Bible verses
1. Psalm 41:9 Even my closest friend whom I trusted, the one who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.
2. Psalm 55:12-14 For it is not an enemy who insults me— I could have handled that— nor is it someone who hates me and who now arises against me— I could have hidden myself from him— but it is you— a man whom I treated as my equal— my personal confidant, my close friend! We had good fellowship together; and we even walked together in the house of God!
3. Job 19:19 My close friends detest me. Those I loved have turned against me.
4. Job 19:13-14 My relatives stay far away, and my friends have turned against me. My family is gone, and my close friends have forgotten me.
5. Proverbs 25:9-10 Instead, take up the matter with your neighbor, and don’t betray another person’s confidence. Otherwise, anyone who hears will make you ashamed, and your bad reputation will never leave you.
We must cry out to the Lord for help with the feelings of betrayal
6. Psalm 27:10 Even if my father and mother abandon me, the LORD cares for me.
7. Psalm 55:16–17 I call upon God, and the Lord will deliver me. Morning, noon, and night, I mulled over these things and cried out in my distress, and he heard my voice.
8.Exodus 14:14 The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.
Jesus knows how it feels to be betrayed. He was betrayed twice.
Peter betrayed Jesus
9. Luke 22:56-61 A servant girl saw him sitting by the fire, stared at him, and said, “This man was with him, too.” But he denied it, “I don’t know him, woman!” he responded. A little later, a man looked at him and said, “You are one of them, too.” But Peter said, “Mister, I am not!” About an hour later, another man emphatically asserted, “This man was certainly with him, because he is a Galilean!” But Peter said, “Mister, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Just then, while he was still speaking, a rooster crowed. Then the Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. And Peter remembered the word from the Lord, and how he had told him, “Before a rooster crows today, you will deny me three times.”
Judas betrayed Judas
10. Matthew 26:48-50 The traitor, Judas, had given them a prearranged signal: “You will know which one to arrest when I greet him with a kiss.” So Judas came straight to Jesus. “Greetings, Rabbi!” he exclaimed and gave him the kiss. Jesus said, “My friend, go ahead and do what you have come for.” Then the others grabbed Jesus and arrested him.
God uses betrayal
Don’t waste your suffering. Use your betrayal to share in the sufferings of Christ.
11. 2 Corinthians 1:5 For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.
12. 1 Peter 4:13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
Use your betrayal as an opportunity to become more like Christ and grow as a Christian.
13. 1 Peter 2:23 He did not retaliate when he was insulted, nor threaten revenge when he suffered. He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly. (Revenge in the Bible)
14. Hebrews 12:3 For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, so that you won’t grow weary and lose heart.
There is always a blessing in every trial. Find the blessing.
15. Matthew 5:10-12 “How blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, because the kingdom from heaven belongs to them! “How blessed are you whenever people insult you, persecute you, and say all sorts of evil things against you falsely because of me! Rejoice and be extremely glad, because your reward in heaven is great! That’s how they persecuted the prophets who came before you.”
Don’t find a way to get revenge, but instead forgive others just like God forgave you.
16. Romans 12:14-19 Bless those who persecute you. Keep on blessing them, and never curse them. Rejoice with those who are rejoicing. Cry with those who are crying. Live in harmony with each other. Do not be arrogant, but associate with humble people. Do not think that you are wiser than you really are. Do not pay anyone back evil for evil, but focus your thoughts on what is right in the sight of all people. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live in peace with all people. Do not take revenge, dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath. For it is written, “Vengeance belongs to me. I will pay them back, declares the Lord.”
17. Matthew 6:14-15 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
How can I overcome the pain of betrayal?
I know it’s hard on our own, but we must trust in the strength of God to help.
18. Philippians 4:13 I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me.
19. Matthew 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
Don’t dwell on it which will only create bitterness and hatred. Fix your eyes on Christ.
20. Hebrews 12:15 Make sure that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no root of bitterness springs up, causing trouble and by it, defiling many.
21. Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
We must rely on the Spirit and pray to the Spirit.
22. Romans 8:26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.
Dealing with betrayal
Forget the past, move on, and continue in God’s will.
23. Philippians 3:13-14 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
24. Matthew 24:9-10 Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other.
Examples of betrayal in the Bible
25. Judges 16:18-19 When Delilah realized that he had disclosed everything to her, she sent for the Philistine officials and told them, “Hurry up and come here at once, because he has told me everything.” So the Philistine officials went to her and brought their money with them. So she enticed him to fall asleep on her lap, called for a man to shave off his seven locks of hair from his head, and so began to humiliate him. Then his strength abandoned him.
Saul betrayed David
1 Samuel 18:9-11 So from that time on Saul kept a jealous eye on David. The very next day a tormenting spirit from God overwhelmed Saul, and he began to rave in his house like a madman. David was playing the harp, as he did each day. But Saul had a spear in his hand, and he suddenly hurled it at David, intending to pin him to the wall. But David escaped him twice.
This was a very inspiring message, may many souls be saved through this message in the mighty name of Jesus.
Thank you for your comment. Betrayal is tough indeed, but we have a Savior who has experienced it Himself so He knows how to help us in our troubles. He truly understands us. In this trial we have an opportunity to experience what Christ experienced. Let’s all continue to look to Him.
Thank you this compilation really helped me in my time of need. The vengeful thoughts I had in my head were almost overwhelming. I appreciate the peace that this has brought me. The fact that Jesus was betrayed by those that he loved. That fact alone really put things into perspective for me. Thank you again.
Thank you for this article. It has indeed helped me to heal. God really saves!
Thank you for this compilation. Right now I don’t know how I feel. I want vengeance so bad but I’m leaving it to God as always. I trust his perfect plan enough to be still. God bless you.
Wonderful set of scriptures and very valuable in this time. I am troubled, but seeking the Kingdom first and knowing the graciousness and Good of God in the face of Jesus Christ being revealed in revelation, I am comforted. I know a time will come where grieving will be at an end, and joyousness will arise with us.
This past year I have gone through the most horrific betrayal in my life. It has been a hard one to recover from. This is a good word. This year The LORD has taken me through a journey of healing and using this situation to sanctify and mature me in the faith and truth of The Gospel of my LORD and SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST! It has brought me to the same Truth you have here! It is a confirmation of HIS Love and care for us even when we have to go through such a horrible test and trial of our faith and allegiance! GOD bless you! And I believe as we are able to come out the other side in Victory and Life and Joy and Purification, we are called to comfort and help others also gain victory in JESUS!!
Isaiah 53 is also a great comfort
This truly ministered to my spirit— it’s what I needed. Thank you!
Thanks very much for the scriptures. I so needed this to help me process the ultimate betrayal from someone whom I thought was a true friend…. In God’s time she will realize what she did to me and if not my life will go on without her being apart of it.
Thank you for these scriptures. I understand that I have to forgive the person that betrayed me in order to have peace from God. I thank you as I pray for peace. Cleanse my soul Lord. Free me from this bitterness and make me whole. I surrender all in Jesus name Amen.
Great words of gaining a better perspective. I figure if in anything that you want to kill? DO NOT FEED IT! So in my own pain of betrayal I must KILL the negative emotion that is not from God! How? I don’t feed it what it needs to survive. I speak the word of God over it and then I give it no more thought as I think on the things that are lovely and true. I feed God’s promise and all the peaceful thoughts that come with that truth. Feelings of betrayal come a well of needing and expecting something from the imperfect…..yet if all I need is Jesus ….the perfect one…..then that releases the imperfect one. Too, I remind myself that I also am imperfect. I too have turned my back on God when I sinned…..so like Peter I too have betrayed. In that humility I find peace in my state of repentance and forgiveness. It allows me to forgive. All in all….keeping my eyes on Jesus and aim to walk with Him 24/7. No expectation set for anybody else. It is a free place to be. Shalom my friends. I hope this helps somebody else. God is good!