Bible verses about stubbornness
All believers must guard themselves from stubbornness. Stubbornness causes unbelievers to reject Christ as their Savior. It causes believers to go astray and rebel. It causes false teachers to continue teaching heresy. It causes us to do our will instead of God’s will.
God will guide His children, but if we become stubborn that can lead to making bad decisions in life. God knows what is best, we must continually trust in Him.
It is dangerous to harden your heart to conviction. You can harden your heart so much that you no longer feel any conviction.
When you harden your heart and stop obeying God’s Word He will stop listening to your prayers.
The worst thing you can do is fight with God because you will lose every time. He knocks and says turn away from your sin and you say no. He keeps knocking, but you find every way to justify yourself.
He keeps knocking and because of your pride you harden your heart. When a brother rebukes you, you don’t listen because you’re too stubborn. God keeps knocking and the guilt is just eating you alive. If you are truly a Christian eventually you will give up and cry out to Lord for forgiveness. Humble yourself before the Lord and repent of your sins.
- “There is nothing progressive about being pig headed and refusing to admit a mistake.” C.S. Lewis
- “The greatest mistake any Christian can make is to substitute his own will for the will of God.” Harry Ironside
Listen to rebukes.
1. Proverbs 1:23-24 Repent at my rebuke! Then I will pour out my thoughts to you, I will make known to you my teachings. But since you refuse to listen when I call and no one pays attention when I stretch out my hand,
2. Proverbs 29:1 A man who hardens his neck after much reproof Will suddenly be broken beyond remedy.
Don’t deceive yourself and try to justify sin and rebellion.
3. James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
4. Psalm 78:10 They did not keep God’s covenant, but refused to walk according to his law.
5. 2 Timothy 4:3-4 For there will be a time when people will not tolerate sound teaching. Instead, following their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves, because they have an insatiable curiosity to hear new things. And they will turn away from hearing the truth, but on the other hand they will turn aside to myths.
You know what He wants you to do don’t harden your heart.
6. Proverbs 28:14 Blessed is the one who always trembles before God, but whoever hardens their heart falls into trouble.
7. Ephesians 4:18 They are darkened in their understanding, being alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardness of their hearts.
8. Zechariah 7:11-12 “Your ancestors refused to listen to this message. They stubbornly turned away and put their fingers in their ears to keep from hearing. They made their hearts as hard as stone, so they could not hear the instructions or the messages that the LORD of Heaven’s Armies had sent them by his Spirit through the earlier prophets. That is why the LORD of Heaven’s Armies was so angry with them.
The dangers of pride.
9. Proverbs 11:2 When pride cometh, then cometh shame: but with the lowly is wisdom.
10. Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
11. Proverbs 18:12 Before a man’s downfall, his mind is arrogant, but humility precedes honor.
Don’t try to hide it, repent.
12. Proverbs 28:13 Whoever hides his transgressions will not succeed, but whoever confesses and forsakes them will find mercy.
13. 2 Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who belong to me, humble themselves, pray, seek to please me, and repudiate their sinful practices, then I will respond from heaven, forgive their sin, and heal their land.
14. Psalm 32:5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.
Stubbornness angers God.
15. Judges 2:19-20 But when the judge died, the people returned to their corrupt ways, behaving worse than those who had lived before them. They went after other gods, serving and worshiping them. And they refused to give up their evil practices and stubborn ways. So the LORD burned with anger against Israel. He said, “Because these people have violated my covenant, which I made with their ancestors, and have ignored my commands,
Stubbornness leads to God’s wrath.
16. Romans 2:5-6 But because you are stubborn and refuse to turn from your sin, you are storing up terrible punishment for yourself. For a day of anger is coming, when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed. He will judge everyone according to what they have done.
17. Jeremiah 11:8 But they did not listen or pay attention; instead, they followed the stubbornness of their evil hearts. So I brought on them all the curses of the covenant I had commanded them to follow but that they did not keep.'”
18. Exodus 13:15 For when Pharaoh stubbornly refused to let us go, the LORD killed all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both the firstborn of man and the firstborn of animals. Therefore I sacrifice to the LORD all the males that first open the womb, but all the firstborn of my sons I redeem.’
Don’t fight against the convictions of the Spirit.
19. Acts 7:51 “You stubborn people! You are heathen at heart and deaf to the truth. Must you forever resist the Holy Spirit? That’s what your ancestors did, and so do you!
Sometimes when people are so stubborn to go their own way God gives them over to their stubbornness.
20. Psalm 81:11-13 “But my people would not listen to me; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices.
21. Romans 1:25 They exchanged God’s truth for a lie and worshipped and served the creation rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
22. 1 Samuel 15:23 Rebellion is as sinful as witchcraft, and stubbornness as bad as worshiping idols. So because you have rejected the command of the LORD, he has rejected you as king.”
Trust in the Lord alone not your deceitful heart.
23. Proverbs 3:5-7 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. Acknowledge him in all your ways, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own estimation; fear the Lord and turn away from evil.
24. Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is more deceitful than anything else, and incurable–who can understand it?
25. Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.