Bible verses about all sins being equal
I’m often asked are all sins equal? Contrary to what many people think all sin is not the same and nowhere in Scripture will you be able to find this. Some sins are greater than others. It’s one thing to steal a pencil from school, but it’s a different thing to kidnap a student.
As you can see stealing a person has way more severe consequences. It is one thing to get mad at someone, but it’s another thing to get mad and then kill, which is clearly more severe. We must never try to justify small sins to big ones.
Even though all sins are not the same all sins will take you to Hell. It doesn’t matter if you steal once, lie once, or have unrighteous anger once. God has to judge you because He is holy and He is a good judge. Good judges can’t let evildoers go free.
If you did not accept Jesus Christ, you have no sacrifice for your sins and God has to judge you by sending you to Hell for eternity. Many people use the “all sins are equal” excuse to justify their rebellion.
This can’t work because Christians are a new creation, we can’t deliberately rebel and live a continuous sinful lifestyle. You can never take advantage of Jesus because God is not mocked. Jesus didn’t come so we can keep on sinning.
We are saved by Jesus alone, there is nothing you can do to repay Him. You can’t work your way into Heaven, but evidence of true faith in Jesus Christ results in obedience to His Word. Christians are drawn towards Christ and a believer will grow in his hatred towards sin and love for righteousness.
There is no such thing as a Christian who continuously lives life disregarding the Word of God. It shows you never repented and you’re telling God “it is my life and I will not listen to you.” God disciplines His children when they start going astray from Him just like any loving father.
If He lets you go astray without disciplining you and without the Holy Spirit convicting you that is a strong indication you’re not His child, you never accepted Jesus, and are following your evil desires. We also see in Scripture that sin and the levels of Hell are greater depending on your knowledge.
What does the Bible say about all sins being equal in God’s eyes?
1. John 19:10-11 “Do you refuse to speak to me?” Pilate said. “Don’t you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?” Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.”
2. Matthew 12:31-32 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.
3. Matthew 11:21-22 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! Woe unto thee, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
4. Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
5. 2 Peter 2:20-21 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
6. Romans 3:23 For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.
Reminders about sin
7. Proverbs 28:9 If one turns away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer is an abomination.
8. Proverbs 6:16-19 There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.
9. James 4:17 If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.
Jesus’ blood covers all sins
Without Christ you are guilty and you will go to Hell. If you are in Christ His blood covers your sins.
10. 1 John 2:2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
11. 1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
12. John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
Genuine faith in Christ alone changes your life
We can’t rebel against the Word of God and live a continuous sinful lifestyle, which shows we never truly accepted Christ.
13. 1 John 3:8-10 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God. By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.
14. Hebrews 10:26 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins.
15. 1 John 1:6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.