Bible verses about keeping secrets
Is keeping secrets a sin? No, but in some situations it can be. There are some things that people shouldn’t know and vice versa. We must be careful though of what we keep secrets about. If someone tells you something private we are not to start babbling about what they told us.
Christians are to encourage one another and help others grow in faith. If a friend is going through something and shares something with you, you’re not supposed to repeat it to anyone.
Christians are to build trust, but revealing others secrets creates drama and removes trust from a relationship. Sometimes the godly thing to do would be to speak up.
For example, if you lose your job or have some type of addiction you should not hide these things from your spouse.
We have to use discernment when it comes to this topic. The best way to know what to do in a situation is to study Scripture, listen to the Spirit and allow the Holy Spirit to guide your life, and pray for wisdom from God. I will end with a reminder. It’s never OK to lie or give a half truth.
“When two friends part they should lock up one another’s secrets, and interchange their keys.” Owen Feltham
“If it’s not your story to tell, you don’t tell it.” – Iyanla Vanzant.
“Confidentiality is the essence of being trusted.”
“If you are a member of a small group or class, I urge you to make a group covenant that includes the nine characteristics of biblical fellowship: We will share our true feelings (authenticity), forgive each other (mercy), speak the truth in love (honesty), admit our weaknesses (humility), respect our differences (courtesy), not gossip (confidentiality), and make group a priority (frequency).”
What does the Bible say?
1. Proverbs 11:13 A gossip goes around telling secrets, but those who are trustworthy can keep a confidence.
3. Proverbs 12:23 The prudent keep their knowledge to themselves, but a fool’s heart blurts out folly.
4. Proverbs 18:6-7 A fool’s lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating. A fool’s mouth is his ruin, and his lips are a snare to his soul.
Don’t associate with gossipers or listen to gossip.
5. Proverbs 20:19 A gossip goes around telling secrets, so don’t hang around with chatterers.
6. 2 Timothy 2:16 But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness.
Guarding your mouth
7. Proverbs 21:23 Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.
8. Proverbs 13:3 The one who guards his words guards his life, but whoever is talkative will come to ruin.
9. Psalm 141:3 LORD, set a guard over my mouth; keep watch over the door to my lips.
Can you keep secrets from God? No
10. Psalm 44:21 Wouldn’t God find out, since he knows the secrets in our hearts?
11. Psalm 90:8 You spread out our sins before you our secret sins and you see them all.
12. Hebrews 4:13 No creature can hide from him, but everyone is exposed and helpless before the eyes of the one to whom we must give a word of explanation.
Nothing is hidden
13. Mark 4:22 For everything that is hidden will eventually be brought into the open, and every secret will be brought to light.
14. Matthew 10:26 Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known.
15. Luke 12:2 Luke 8:17 Nothing has been covered that will not be exposed. Whatever is secret will be made known.
Jesus made the disciples and others keep secrets.
16. Matthew 16:19-20 And I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven.” Then he sternly warned the disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.
17. Matthew 9:28-30 When he had gone indoors, the blind men came to him, and he asked them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” “Yes, Lord,” they replied. Then he touched their eyes and said, “According to your faith let it be done to you”; and their sight was restored. Jesus warned them sternly, “See that no one knows about this.”
God has secrets as well.
18. Deuteronomy 29:29 “The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but what has been revealed belongs to us and to our children forever, so that we might observe the words of this Law.”
19. Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.
Sometimes we have to use biblical discernment. Sometimes things are not meant to be confidential. We must seek wisdom from the Lord in tough situations.
20. Ecclesiastes 3:7 A time to tear and a time to mend. A time to be quiet and a time to speak.
21. Proverbs 31:8 Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed.
22. James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
23. Titus 2:7 showing yourself to be an example of good works in every way. In your teaching show integrity, dignity,
24. Proverbs 18:21 The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
25. Matthew 7:12 Therefore, whatever you want people to do for you, do the same for them, because this summarizes the Law and the Prophets.