Bible verses about rumors
Rumors are very dangerous and they travel extremely fast. Christians are to have nothing to do with them. That means we are not to listen to them or spread them. You could have entertained a rumor and not even knew. Have you ever started a sentence by saying I heard he or I heard she? If by chance we do hear a rumor we are not to entertain it.
It should stop at our ears. A lot of times rumors being spread are not even true and are brought on by an envious slandering fool.
Some people spread rumors to start a conversation because they have nothing to say.
These days people want to hear about the juiciest gossip stories and this should not be. It doesn’t have to be in person or on the phone anymore.
People spread gossip through TV, websites, social media, and magazines now. It might seem harmless, but it’s not. Flee from it and don’t engage in it.
Words are very powerful. Scripture says that you will be condemned by your words. Rumors are a big reason why churches are being destroyed and being filled with drama.
Even if someone was to spread a rumor or lie about you, even though it can hurt always remember, don’t repay evil for evil.
Rumors often start and spread because of meddling and personal inferences.
- Kevin has been spending a lot of time with Heather lately. I bet they are doing more than just hanging out.
- Did I just hear you say that you think Amanda is having an affair?
- Rumors are as dumb as the people who started them and as fake as the people who help spread them.
- Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.
Don’t listen to gossip, slander, etc.
1. 1 Samuel 24:9 He said to Saul, “Why do you listen when men say, ‘David is bent on harming you’?
2. Proverbs 17:4 Whoever practices evil pays attention to wicked speech, and the liar listens to malicious talk.
3. 1 Timothy 5:19 Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses.
4. Proverbs 18:7-8 The mouths of fools are their ruin; they trap themselves with their lips. Rumors are dainty morsels that sink deep into one’s heart.
What does the Bible say?
5. Proverbs 26:20-21 Without wood, a fire goes out. Without gossip, arguments stop. Charcoal keeps the coals glowing, wood keeps the fire burning, and troublemakers keep arguments alive.
6. Exodus 23:1 “You must not pass along false rumors. You must not cooperate with evil people by lying on the witness stand.
7. Leviticus 19:16 You must not go around spreading false stories against other people. Don’t do anything that would put your neighbor’s life in danger. I am the Lord.
8. Proverbs 20:19 Whoever spreads gossip betrays confidences; so don’t get involved with someone who talks too much.
9. Proverbs 11:13 People who tell secrets about others cannot be trusted. Those who can be trusted keep quiet.
10. Proverbs 11:12 Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue.
The ungodly purposely start rumors.
11. Psalm 41:6 They visit me as if they were my friends, but all the while they gather gossip, and when they leave, they spread it everywhere.
12. Proverbs 16:27 A worthless man plots evil, and his speech is like a scorching fire.
13. Proverbs 6:14 Their perverted hearts plot evil, and they constantly stir up trouble.
14. Romans 1:29 They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips,
Treat others as you would want to be treated.
15. Luke 6:31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
Love does no harm.
16. Romans 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
17. Psalm 15:1-3 O Lord, who may stay in your tent? Who may live on your holy mountain? The one who walks with integrity, does what is righteous, and speaks the truth within his heart. The one who does not slander with his tongue, do evil to a friend, or bring disgrace on his neighbor.
18. 1 Timothy 6:11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
19. Job 28:22 Destruction and Death say, “Only a rumor of it has reached our ears.”
20. Ephesians 5:11 Take no part in the fruitless works of darkness; rather expose them
When your hands are idle and you don’t like minding your own business that leads to spreading rumors.
21. 1 Timothy 5:11-13 But refuse the younger widows; for when they have begun to grow wanton against Christ, they desire to marry, having condemnation because they have cast off their first faith. And besides they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house, and not only idle but also gossips and busybodies, saying things which they ought not.
22. 2 Thessalonians 3:11 For we hear that some among you are living an undisciplined life, not doing their own work but meddling in the work of others.
23. Nehemiah 6:8-9 Then I replied to him, “There is nothing to these rumors you are spreading; you are inventing them in your own mind.”For they were all trying to intimidate us, saying, “They will become discouraged in the work, and it will never be finished.” But now, my God, strengthen me.
24. Acts 21:24 Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everyone will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that you yourself are living in obedience to the law.
25. Job 42:4-6 You said, “Listen now, and I will speak. When I question you, you will inform Me.” I had heard rumors about You, but now my eyes have seen You. Therefore I take back my words and repent in dust and ashes.
Bonus: People will spread rumors and lie about you because you are a Christian.
1 Peter 3:16-17 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.