What does the Bible say about Russia And Ukraine?
Innocent civilians are dying and infrastructure is being destroyed! It hurts my heart to see and hear about Russia invading Ukraine. Let’s dive into the Bible to see if Scripture talks about this conflict. More importantly, let’s learn how Christians should respond to these situations.
Russia-Ukraine war quotes
“Russia committed an act of aggression in Ukraine, and that’s the first time since 1945 a European country has seized the territory of another European country. That’s serious business. They started a war with their neighbor. Their troops as well as the separatists funded and controlled by Russia are killing people just about every day.” Daniel Fried
“Russia alone is responsible for the death and destruction this attack will bring, and the United States and its Allies and partners will respond in a united and decisive way. The world will hold Russia accountable.” President Joe Biden
“President Putin has chosen a premeditated war that will bring a catastrophic loss of life and human suffering … I will be meeting with the leaders of the G7 and the US and our allies and partners will be imposing severe sanctions on Russia.” President Joe Biden
“France strongly condemns the decision of Russia to start a war with Ukraine. Russia must immediately put an end to its military operations.” Emmanuel Macron
Are Russia and Ukraine in Bible prophecy?
The Bible talks about Gog and Magog, which most Bible prophecy interpreters believe is referring to Russia. However, Gog and Magog are related to Israel. The Bible does not explicitly talk about the Russia-Ukraine conflict. In 1914 World War I began, which lasted 4 years. World War II started in 1939 and lasted until 1945. When we look throughout history, we notice that we’ve always had wars. In every war that this world experiences, there are always people who try to connect the war and biblical prophecies. There are always people who scream, “we’re in the end time!” The fact of the matter is, we’ve always been in the end times. We’ve been in the end times since the ascension of Christ.
Are we at the end of the end times? Though we are getting closer and closer to the return of Christ, we don’t know. Matthew 24:36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” Jesus could return tomorrow, a hundred, or even a thousand years from now. 2 Peter 3:8 says, “with the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.”
We have to remember that we live in a fallen and sinful world. Not everything is directly related to the end of the end times. Sometimes war and bad things happen because evil people carry out their evil desires. Christ will at some point return and yes, wars are signs of the return of Christ. However, we shouldn’t use Russia and Ukraine to teach that we’re at the end of the end times or that He’s going to come back within the next decade or century, because we don’t know. There have always been wars!
1. Matthew 24:5-8 “For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.”
2. Mark 13:7 “When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. These things must happen, but the end is still to come.”
3. 2 Peter 3:8-9 “But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”
4. Matthew 24:36 “But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.”
5. Ezekiel 38:1-4 “The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshek and Tubal; prophesy against him 3 and say: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against you, Gog, chief prince of Meshek and Tubal. 4 I will turn you around, put hooks in your jaws and bring you out with your whole army—your horses, your horsemen fully armed, and a great horde with large and small shields, all of them brandishing their swords.”
6. Revelation 20:8-9 8 “and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth-Gog and Magog-and to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. 9 They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them.”
7. Ezekiel 39:3-9 “Then I will knock the bow out of your left hand, and cause the arrows to fall out of your right hand. 4 You shall fall upon the mountains of Israel, you and all your troops and the peoples who are with you; I will give you to birds of prey of every sort and to the beasts of the field to be devoured. 5 You shall fall on the open field; for I have spoken,” says the Lord God. 6 “And I will send fire on Magog and on those who live in security in the coastlands. Then they shall know that I am the Lord. 7 So I will make My holy name known in the midst of My people Israel, and I will not let them profane My holy name anymore. Then the nations shall know that I am the Lord, the Holy One in Israel. 8 Surely it is coming, and it shall be done,” says the Lord God. “This is the day of which I have spoken. 9 “Then those who dwell in the cities of Israel will go out and set on fire and burn the weapons, both the shields and bucklers, the bows and arrows, the javelins and spears; and they will make fires with them for seven years.”
Pray that God would save Russians and Ukrainians
We should not use the Russia-Ukraine conflict as a time to panic about the End Times. Christians should always live with a sense of urgency. We shouldn’t be panicking; we should be praying! We should be on our knees. We should have been on our knees. We shouldn’t start caring more about advancing God’s Kingdom because what is going on the world today. We should always care about the advancement of God’s Kingdom. If your prayer life is non-existent, start today! After this conflict is over, keep on praying and intercede for the world!
Pray that God would draw Russians and Ukrainians to repentance and that they would put their trust in Christ for salvation. Pray that people in both countries would experience and see the beauty of Christ. Pray that men, women, and children, would be transformed by the deep amazing love of God. Don’t just stop there. Pray for the salvation of your neighbors, your kids, your family, and the entire world. Pray that the world would experience the love of Christ and that we would see that love among each other.
8. Ephesians 2:8-9 (ESV) “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.”
9. Acts 4:12 “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.”
10. Ezekiel 11:19-20 “I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh. Then they will follow My decrees and be careful to keep My laws. They will be My people, and I will be their God.”
11. Romans 1:16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.”
12. John 3:17 (ESV) “For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.”
13. Ephesians 1:13 (NIV) “And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit.”
Pray for Ukrainian and Russian leaders
Pray that Vladimir Putin and Volodymyr Zelenskyy are both drawn to repentance and faith in Christ. Pray the same for all Russian and Ukrainian government leaders. Pray for wisdom, guidance, and discernment for Ukrainian leaders. Pray the same for leaders around the world, and that they would be given God’s wisdom on how to help. Pray that the Lord intervenes in the hearts and minds of leaders in the Armed Forces.
14. 1 Timothy 2:1-2 “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.”
15. Proverbs 21:1 (KJV) “The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.”
16. 2 Chronicles 7:14 “Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.”
17. Daniel 2:21 (ESV) “He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding.”
18. James 1:5 (NIV) “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”
19. James 3:17 (NKJV) “But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.”
20. Proverbs 2:6 (NLT) “For the Lord grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding.”
Pray for peace for Russia and Ukraine
Pray that God thwarts Putin’s plans and is glorified in this situation. Pray for peace and freedom. Pray that God would reconcile conflict. Pray that God would lead countries to seek His Ways and seek peace.
21. Psalm 46:9-10 “He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth. He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the shields with fire. 10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
22. Jeremiah 29:7 “Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.”
23. Psalm 122:6 “Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: “May those who love you prosper.”
24. Psalm 29:11 “The LORD gives His people strength; the LORD blesses His people with peace.”
25. Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
26. Numbers 6:24-26 “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”
Pray for strength and perseverance for missionaries in Ukraine
Pray for strength and courage for Christian missionaries and leaders. Pray for encouragement. Pray that in the midst of this chaos, missionaries would look to Christ and that they would experience Him like never before. Pray that God would give them wisdom and open opportunities to share the gospel.
27. Isaiah 40:31 “Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
28. Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
29. Isaiah 40:29 “He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.”
30. Exodus 15:2 “The Lord is my strength and my defence; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him.“
31. Galatians 6:9 “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.”
32. 1 Chronicles 16:11 “Search for the LORD and for his strength; continually seek him.”
33. Psalm 86:11 “Teach me your way, Lord, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.”
Pray for protection and safety for Ukrainian families
Pray for protection for Ukrainian soldiers. Pray for protection and provision for Ukrainian men, women, and kids. Many people have lost their life due to the Russia-Ukraine conflict and many more will lose their life. Pray that there would be less casualties. Pray for families who have been separated from each other because of this conflict.
34. Psalm 32:7 “You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with shouts of deliverance.”
35. Psalm 47:8 (NIV) “God reigns over the nations; God is seated on his holy throne.”
36. Psalm 121:8 “The LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.”
37. 2 Thessalonians 3:3 “But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one.”
38. Psalm 46:1-3 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, 3 though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling.”
39. 2 Samuel 22:3-4 (NASB) “My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge; My savior, You save me from violence. 4 I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, And I am saved from my enemies.”
Pray that God ends the Russia-Ukraine war
40. Psalm 46:9 (KJV) “He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.”
Philippians 4, 6 and 7
“ I praise the Lord as I read His Word and am in lightened in a way only He our Father can lead, By this through his precious Son my Savior Jesus Christ. May the Wisdom and Peace of Jesus Christ be with you all in this journey for Jesus we are Trusted with.” As our Savior Trusted us on His!” My testimony as I try to live a wise and humble life like my Savior Jesus.
Others call on me and this was my understanding of fulfillment. How blessed am I with this unconditional love. I Am Grateful,” Thank You Jesus.” Love, Kelly