Bible verses about mercy
When you think of God’s mercy you automatically think about grace. Many people get the two mixed up. Although they are close in meaning they are not the same thing. Grace is God’s unmerited favor and it goes beyond mercy. Mercy is God not giving us the punishment that we deserve for our sins.
As a kid me and my family would always play fight and when someone gets you in a submission we would yell mercy mercy mercy. As humans we all desire mercy, but the question is, should we receive mercy and the answer is no. We have all sinned before a Holy God.
He has to punish us. How would you feel about a judge who has HD video evidence, but still lets serial killers, thieves, and rapists go free without any punishment? We all know that is an evil judge. That judge is more wicked than the criminals that he let go free.
The legal system shows that you have to punish criminals. This responsibility to punish evildoers becomes even greater with a holy God. Out of God’s great mercy, love, and grace He came down in the form of man and lived the perfect life that we couldn’t live. God desires perfection and He became perfection for us. Jesus is God in the flesh and He took upon the wrath of God that we deserve. I deserve to be punished, but yet God crushed His beloved and perfect Son for me. That is mercy.
God grants salvation to those who put their trust in Jesus Christ alone. By faith we believe that Jesus died for our sins and He is the only way to Heaven. Do we deserve that blessing? Of course not. Give our merciful God the glory. He is worthy of all praise. We don’t have to work for our salvation. We obey Him out of love, thankfulness, and honor to Him. As people we want justice. We want the bad guys to get what they deserve, but how about us? We’ve sinned against everything. God had mercy upon us and we are to be merciful to others.
- “Justice is for those who deserve it; mercy is for those who don’t.” Woodrow Kroll
- “God’s mercy is so great that you may sooner drain the sea of its water, or deprive the sun of its light, or make space too narrow, than diminish the great mercy of God.” Charles Spurgeon
- “God’s mercy to us is the motivation for showing mercy to others. Remember, you will never be asked to forgive someone else more than God has forgiven you.” Rick Warren
- “The Gospel is good news of mercy to the undeserving. The symbol of the religion of Jesus is the cross, not the scales.”
– John Stott
God is merciful to us.
1. Psalm 25:6-7 Remember, O Lord, Your tender mercies and Your lovingkindnesses, For they are from of old. Do not remember the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions; According to Your mercy remember me, For Your goodness’ sake, O Lord.
2. 2 John 1:3 Grace, mercy, and peace, which come from God the Father and from Jesus Christ–the Son of the Father–will continue to be with us who live in truth and love.
3. Deuteronomy 4:31 The LORD your God is a merciful God. He will not abandon you, destroy you, or forget the promise to your ancestors that he swore he would keep.
4. 2 Samuel 22:26 With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful, and with the upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright.
We are saved by His mercy and grace and not by anything we could have done.
5. Titus 3:4-6 But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
6. Ephesians 2:4-5 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions–it is by grace you have been saved.
7. 1 Peter 1:2-3 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance. Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
8. 1 Timothy 1:16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.
God chooses who to have mercy on.
9. Romans 9:15-16 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy.
These verses mean so much to me. I think about them when I’m struggling with sin. We’ve all had those times when we were struggling with something. It could be thoughts, desires, or habits and it breaks us. It saddens us and we knew that we deserve God’s punishment. We think to ourselves, strike me down Lord I deserve it. Discipline me Lord because I struggle. God’s mercy leads to Him pouring out His love on us instead of His punishment. Sometimes He just wants us to understand how much He loves us.
10. Psalm 103:10-12 he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
11. Lamentations 3:22 The faithful love of the LORD never ends! His mercies never cease.
Sometimes out of love God does discipline Christians if they start willfully sinning and straying away in rebellion, but it is never what we deserve.
12. Ezra 9:13 “What has happened to us is a result of our evil deeds and our great guilt, and yet, our God, you have punished us less than our sins deserved and have given us a remnant like this.
Never think that it is too late to get right with God or that you have done too much for God to forgive you. God desires for the backslidden to return to Him.
13. 2 Chronicles 30:9 “For if you return to the LORD, your relatives and your children will be treated mercifully by their captors, and they will be able to return to this land. For the LORD your God is gracious and merciful. If you return to him, he will not continue to turn his face from you.”
14. Jude 1:22 Be merciful to those who doubt;
We have to imitate the mercy of the Lord.
15. Luke 6:36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
16. Micah 6:8 No, O people, the LORD has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
17. Matthew 5:7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
Having no mercy is dangerous.
God will judge those who refuse to show mercy and hold a grudge against others. Mercy is something I have struggled with on my walk of faith and maybe you have as well. I remember being mad at people because they said things behind my back, but God reminded me that I’ve done the exact same thing. You get mad at your kids for having to teach them something over and over, but God has had to teach you the same things over 1000 times. The same things that we get angry at people for is the same thing that we have done to others, but we are too prideful to see it. Before God we have done even worse things. We have to show mercy just like God has shown mercy on us.
18. Matthew 18:26-33 “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything. The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go. “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded. “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’ “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened. “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’
19. James 2:13 There will be no mercy for those who have not shown mercy to others. But if you have been merciful, God will be merciful when he judges you.
20. Matthew 6:15 But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.
As believers we have to pray for God’s mercy every day. Sometimes for our situation, sometimes for our sins, and sometimes for the consequences of our sins.
21. Hebrews 4:16 So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.
22. Psalm 123:3-4 Have mercy on us, LORD, have mercy on us, for we have endured no end of contempt.
23. Psalm 31:9-10 Have mercy on me, for I am in distress! My eyes grow dim from suffering. I have lost my strength. For my life nears its end in pain; my years draw to a close as I groan. My strength fails me because of my sin, and my bones become brittle.
24. Psalm 40:11 Do not withhold your mercy from me, LORD; may your love and faithfulness always protect me.
If you are not a Christian, then you don’t have mercy and the wrath of God is upon you.
25. 1 Peter 2:10 You once were not a people, but now you are God’s people. You were shown no mercy, but now you have received mercy.
If you are not saved or if you have lived a life contrary to what you professed to be please read how to be saved today.