As Valentine’s Day nears, we hear the word love more often. Love is a powerful word that has the ability to change someone’s life instantly. If we’re honest, we all desire love, but what is true love about? Let’s learn more with these inspirational quotes about love.
Love is built
Contrary to popular belief, love is not something that you fall into. If we’re honest, we all desire a storybook love story where we meet our future boyfriend or girlfriend in the perfect place, with the perfect atmosphere, while the sun causes their faces to have a lovely radiance. We hear these stories and we think it’s love at first sight before there is any foundation. The problem with this way of thinking is that when things are not so perfect, and the emotions are gone, then we can easily fall out of love. This is not to say that God can’t give you a fairy-tale love moment, the first moment you lock eyes with your future spouse. This is the story for many people. However, this shouldn’t be what we focus on. Let’s learn how to love by looking at God, who is the Creator of love and realize that love is a choice. It is something that is built over time and over time the foundation of love grows stronger and stronger in your relationship.
1. “Love is something that is built over time.”
2. “Love is a two-way street constantly under construction.”
3. “True love isn’t found it’s built.”
4. “You don’t fall into love. You commit to it. Love is saying I will be there no matter what.”
5. “Real love is built the old fashioned way, through hard work.”
6. “A relationship is not based on the length of time you spent together; it’s based on the foundation you built together.”
7. “Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person’s ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.” C.S. Lewis
8. “Whether it’s a friendship or relationship, all bonds are built on trust, without it you have nothing.”
9. “Love is like a painting in the beginning it is only an idea, but over time it is built up through errors and corrections till you have a breath taking work of art for all to see.”
10. “Your best relationships are not built. They are rebuilt, and rebuilt, and rebuilt over time.”
11. “A great relationship doesn’t happen because of the love you had in the beginning, but how well you continue building love until the end.”
12. “Relationships gets stronger when both are willing to understand mistakes and forgive each other.”
13. “I choose you. And I’ll choose you over and over and over. Without pause, without a doubt, in a heartbeat. I’ll keep choosing you.”
14. “Love is friendship that has caught fire.”
15. “The greatest marriages are built on teamwork. A mutual respect, a healthy dose of admiration, and a never-ending portion of love and grace.”
16. “Love is not about finding the right person, but in creating the right relationship. It’s not about how much you have in the beginning but how much you build till the end.”
Love is about sacrifice
The ultimate depiction of love is Jesus Christ sacrificing His life so that we could be saved. What Christ accomplished on the cross teaches us that love makes sacrifices for loved ones. Sacrifices can come in a number of ways.
Naturally, you are going to sacrifice your time for the one that you love. You are going to wrestle with those things about yourself that may hurt your relationship, such as your pride, the need to always be right, etc. Love is willing to sacrifice privacy to do life with one another and grow in communication. Not in the slightest, am I saying that we should sacrifice everything, especially things that put us in danger. In relationships there should be a mutual desire to grow in selflessness and respect for each other. True love is not without sacrifice.
17. “Whether we are husband or wife, we are not to live for ourselves but for the other. And that is the hardest yet single most important function of being a husband or a wife in marriage.”
18. “Sacrifice is giving yourself up for the one you love.”
19. “True love is an instinctive act of self-sacrifice.”
20. “This was what love meant after all sacrifice and selflessness. It did not mean hearts and flowers and a happy ending but the knowledge that another’s well-being is more important than ones own.”
21. “True love is sacrifice. It is in giving, not in getting; in losing, not in gaining; in realizing, not in possessing, that we love.”
22. “Only if you have learned to serve others by the power of the Holy Spirit will you have the power to face the challenges of marriage”
23. “Love is not just a feeling it’s a commitment and above all a sacrifice.”
24. “Lust is about satisfaction. Love is about sacrificing, serving, surrendering, sharing, supporting, and even suffering for others. Most love songs are actually lust songs.”
25. “The ultimate display of love is not hugs and kisses, it’s sacrifice.
26. “True love is selfless. It is prepared to sacrifice.”
27. “Relationships blossom when sacrifice takes the place of selfishness.”
28. “Love costs us everything. That’s the kind of love God showed us in Christ. And that’s the kind of love we’re buying into when we say ‘I do.
29. “Without sacrifice, true love is incomprehensible.
Love is risky
Love is not easy. Love might be difficult because maybe you were hurt before and now you’re afraid to trust him/her. Love might be hard because you’ve never felt the way that you do and don’t know how to receive or give love. Being in a healthy relationship means that there are times when you are going to have to be vulnerable with him/her. Love is risky, but it’s beautiful. One of the most beautiful things is when you are with someone that you can trust. It’s a picture of God. I can comfortably open up to God about my mess and know that I am still loved. It’s beautiful when God has led you to someone who loves you despite your mess. It’s beautiful when He’s led you to someone who is not only open to listening to you, but also willing to assist you.
30. “Loving someone is giving them the power to break your heart, but trusting them not to.”
31. “Better to put your heart on the line, risk everything, and walk away with nothing than play it safe. Love is a lot of things, but ‘safe’ isn’t one of them.”
32. “To me, obligation is not love. Letting someone be open, honest and free — that’s love. It’s got to come natural and it’s got to be real.”
33. “The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise, we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them.”
34. “Forget the risk and take the fall. If it’s meant to be, then it’s worth it all.”
35. “We cultivate love when we allow our most vulnerable and powerful selves to be deeply seen and known.”
36. “It is a risk to love. What if it doesn’t work out? Ah, but what if it does.”
37. “Love is risky. To love is to move into danger – because you cannot control it, it is not safe. It is not within your hands. It is unpredictable: where it will lead nobody knows.”
38. “In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take, relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make.”
39. “Sometimes the biggest risks are those we take with our hearts.”
40. “Love is the most risky investment one can make. But the sweet thing about it is that there is never a total loss.”
41. “What is love? I think love is scary, and love is dangerous, because to love someone means to give up a part of yourself.”
42. “Love is when one person knows all of your secrets… your deepest, darkest, most dreadful secrets of which no one else in the world knows… and yet in the end, that one person does not think any less of you; even if the rest of the world does.”
43. “The question, love, is whether you want me enough to take the risk.”
Sometimes love is hard
True love is not when you love someone when everything is going great. True love is when you love someone when they’re being difficult. Every time you offer grace, mercy, and unconditional love, that is a picture of God. When you have to forgive your spouse, who has left the cabinet doors open for the 3rd time this week, know that God has forgiven you 30 times in just one day. Marriage is the greatest tool of sanctification. God is going to use your relationship to conform you into His image. You are going to have some great times with your spouse. However, when things aren’t so great because you love them you are not going anywhere.
44. “Love isn’t always perfect. It isn’t a fairytale or a storybook. And it doesn’t always come easy. Love is overcoming obstacles, facing challenges, fighting to be together, holding on & never letting go. It is a short word, easy to spell, difficult to define, & impossible to live without. Love is work, but most of all, Love is realizing that every hour, every minute, & every second was worth it because you did it together.”
45. “Love means loving the unloveable — or it is no virtue at all.” G.K. Chesterton
46. “When over the years someone has seen you at your worst, and knows you with all your strengths and flaws, yet commits him or herself to you wholly, it is a consummate experience. To be loved but not known is comforting but superficial. To be known and not loved is our greatest fear. But to be fully known and truly loved is, well, a lot like being loved by God. It is what we need more than anything.” -Timothy Keller
47. “Someone who really loves you sees what a mess you can be, how moody you can get, how hard you are to handle, but still wants you in their life.”
50. “To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow–this is a human offering that can border on miraculous.”
51. “Your flaws are perfect for the heart that is meant to love you.”
52. “Love means that you accept a person seeing perfection in imperfection. “Love means that you accept a person with all their failures stupidities, ugly points and nonetheless, you see perfection in imperfection itself.”
53. “Your marriage vows are most important in those moments when they are most difficult to keep.”
54. “A perfect marriage is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other”
55. “You don’t love someone because they’re perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they’re not.”
56. “I love you” means that I will love you and stand by you even through the worst of times.”
Christian quotes about love
Here are several Christian and relationship quotes on love.
57. “Pursuing and loving your spouse always begins with understanding how you’re pursued and loved by Christ.”
58. “If we look to our spouses to fill up our tanks in a way that only God can do, we are demanding an impossibility”
59. “Falling in love in a Christian way is to say,I am excited about your future and I want to be part of getting you there. Im signing up for the journey with you. Would you sign up for the journey to my true self with me? Its going to be hard but I want to get there.”
60. “I choose you for life and that means I choose to draw you closer to God with every step that I take.”
61. “When you’re dating, abstinence is a greater expression of love than making love, because you’re doing what’s best for your beloved, not just what feels good in the moment.”
62. “You know it s true love when they bring you closer to God.”
63. “Nothing will bring two hearts closer together, than two hearts that are after the heart of God.”
64. “True Christian love is not derived from things without, but floweth from the heart, as from a spring.” — Martin Luther
The beauty of love
Scripture reminds us that we are relational beings. We were made to have a relationship with God and each other. One thing humanity has in common is that yearning for deep connection with someone.
We all desire to know and love someone and to be known and loved by someone. Ultimately, true love is experienced with a relationship with Christ. When we are rooted in Christ, we will better love those in our lives.
65. “You’re rich until you have something that money can’t buy.”
66. “Sometimes home isn’t four walls. It’s two eyes and a heartbeat.”
67. “If I know what love is, it is because of you.”
68. “There is no greater happiness for a man than approaching a door at the end of a day knowing someone on the other side of that door is waiting for the sound of his footsteps.” Ronald Reagan
69. “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.”
70. “The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart.”
71. “Love is like a beautiful flower which I may not touch, but whose fragrance makes the garden a place of delight just the same.”
72. “I love you” begins by I, but it ends up by you.”
73. “I know I am in love with you because my reality is finally better than my dreams.”
74. “True love doesn’t have a happy ending. It doesn’t have an ending at all.”
What is love quotes from the Bible
The only reason that we are able to love is because God loved us first. Love is an attribute of God and He is the ultimate example of true love.
75. Song of Solomon 8:6-7: “Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the LORD. Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. If a man offered for love all the wealth of his house, he would be utterly despised.”
76. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”
77. 1 Peter 4:8 “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.”
78. Colossians 3:14 “But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection.”
79. 1 John 4:8 “He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.”
80. 1 Corinthians 13:13 “And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”