What does the Bible say about faith?
When people want to read about faith, the first place they go to is Hebrews 11. It is truly a beautiful chapter. So many miraculous things were done by pure faith without even a Bible. Why aren’t these things being done today? Today we don’t know about true faith. Men of God back in the day would be alone with God for years for hours a day. They would raise dead nations with the power of the Holy Spirit.
They were dangerous men who would walk by faith without fear of losing their life. Their trust was in God alone. These days Christians don’t really want to know God.
We would rather have TV. Today we have so many resources that we use for the advancement of God’s Kingdom, but we are dying at a faster rate than ever before.
The church is married to the world. Most believers are spiritually crippled. For many people having faith means more stuff. More money, bigger houses, and fancier cars.
Back in the day greater faith meant a greater knowledge and presence of God in your life. Greater faith would lead to a revival of a city. Greater faith would lead to a broken heart for God’s people. Greater faith would lead to sacrifice. Greater faith would lead to spending more time with God. We need faith! Satan is turning Christians into wimps. Where is our faith?
Who’s going to be that faithful servant of God who is going to seek God in the trial and believe His promises? Who by faith is going to seek God not for what He can give, but just for Him? You can’t have the power of God without faith. You won’t grow in faith unless you hide yourself with God until you know Him intimately. You can trust God!
Christian quotes about faith
“Faith is seeing light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness.”
“Faith, it’s all about believing, you don’t know how it will happen, but you know it will.”
“Let your faith be bigger than your fear.”
Faith is a living, daring confidence in God’s grace, so sure and certain that a man would stake his life on it one thousand times. This confidence in God’s grace and knowledge of it makes men glad and bold and happy in dealing with God and with all creatures; and this is the work of the Holy Ghost in faith. Martin Luther
“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
“Your faith can move mountains and your doubt can create them.”
“Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time.”—Oswald Chambers
“Our faith and trust must be like the disciples’, leaving everything in God’s hands.”
“Faith is the solid, unshakable confidence in God which is built upon assurance that He is faithful to His promises.” Dr. David Jeremiah
“Faith goes up the stairs that love has built and looks out the windows which hope has opened.” Charles H. Spurgeon
“The issue of faith is not so much whether we believe in God, but whether we believe the God we believe in.” R. C. Sproul
“Faith does not eliminate questions. But faith knows where to take them.” -Elisabeth Elliot.
“The greatest test of faith is when you don’t get what you want, but still you are able to say Thank You Lord.”
The biblical definition of faith is found in Hebrews 11:1.
We all have faith even militant atheists. Atheists have faith in things that they themselves have not observed or tested. To be an atheist you have to literally deny all the truths in front of you and have faith. It takes faith to believe that life comes from non-life. Once again we all have faith. We have faith that another vehicle won’t cross the center line and ram us head on. We have faith that the school lunches are not poisoned.
1. Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
Where does faith come from?
We learn from Scripture that faith is a gift from God. It is not of ourselves. If it was of ourselves it would be a work.
2. Ephesians 2:8–9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God not by works, so that no one can boast.
3. 2 Peter 1:1 Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:
4. Philippians 1:29 For to you it has been granted for Christ’s sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake.
We act by the faith supplied by God’s grace.
By faith we fully rely upon the blood of Christ on our behalf. By faith we know that our sins are gone because Jesus paid our debt in full by dying the death we deserve, being buried, and rising from the grave defeating sin and death. Jesus is my only claim to Heaven.
5. Romans 1:16-17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed–a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”
6. Colossians 2:14 by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.
7. 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
8. Mark 1:15 “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”
Faith pleases God
God rewards those who earnestly seek Him. We must be on guard from unbelief. God hurts when we doubt Him especially when He has delivered us from previous trials. Some people say, “He just doesn’t answer anymore” and they give up. They start to backslide in prayer and once you backslide in pray then you backslide everywhere else. Unbelief opens up sins of all kinds. The doubt needs to be removed. Is God not faithful? Is there anything that He can’t do? Stop doubting His love for you. God is not mad at you. Believe. You can trust God!
9. Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
10. James 1:6-7 But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord.
Inspirational Bible verses about faith in hard times
By faith, sometimes we have to take the more difficult path than the easier path.
Sometimes God is going to lead us on a road that might seem foggy or the unpopular route. Sometimes the road He wants us to go on is going to cost us. By faith we have to trust in the Lord that He is faithful. His wisdom surpasses ours. Many times there is a bigger blessing at the end that we would have never received if we did our will instead of His will.
Sometimes you have to step out on faith. Sometimes God tells you to do something and you don’t know how you are going to get by, but you have to trust in the Lord. He will provide what is needed. By faith you do what is right not what is easy.
11. Hebrews 11:24-26 By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward.
12. Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.
13. Hebrews 11:8-9 It was by faith that Abraham obeyed when God called him to leave home and go to another land that God would give him as his inheritance. He went without knowing where he was going. And even when he reached the land God promised him, he lived there by faith–for he was like a foreigner, living in tents. And so did Isaac and Jacob, who inherited the same promise.
14. Hebrews 11:17 By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son.
We have faith that God hears us
Sometimes we fast and sometimes we pray our hearts out for a long period of time and we see no evidence of change. Don’t give up. Man’s hour of darkness is God’s hour of power. Stars can’t shine without darkness. Many times the answer seems so clear to us. We say, “God all that you have to do is do this.” Have faith! God can fix your situation in a moment. God knows how to deliver you. God had a solution for your trial before you even entered into your trial. God knows what He is doing He doesn’t need tips.
15. 2 Corinthians 5:7 For we live by faith, not by sight.
16. Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
17. Isaiah 65:24 Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.
Praying in faith
We try to do so many things in the flesh today, but the battle is won in prayer. There are many philistines, mountains, and walls that seek to slow you down. Doing things in the flesh will not remove them. We have to learn how to rely on the power of the living God. So many churches today are filled with entertainment, emotional music, and things of the world, but the power of God is not in it. You can’t substitute for the power of God.
Doing things in the flesh will never get the job done. We have to be people of faith. We have to be men and women of prayer. The battle is won in prayer. The walls in front of you and the Goliath’s in your life will fall in prayer. Do we as Christians even believe this anymore? I’m tired of doing things in the flesh.
We must wrestle with God until the battle is won. We must believe God will answer. Sometimes it takes 2 weeks, sometimes 2 months, and sometimes 2 years. God I will not let you go until you answer me.
18. Matthew 17:20 He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
19. Hebrews 11:30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the army had marched around them for seven days.
20. 1 Samuel 17:45-49 David said to the Philistine, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hands, and I’ll strike you down and cut off your head. This very day I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds and the wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.” As the Philistine moved closer to attack him, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet him. Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck the Philistine on the forehead. The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell facedown on the ground.
21. Matthew 21:22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”
Sometimes we try to pump up faith when we are going through trials.
We say things like “I’m ready!” You don’t have to pump up faith. Many times people only have faith for a current trial that they are going through. God wants to give you a faith that lasts your whole life for different trials that you go through in life. He wants to prepare you.
He wants you to totally rest on Him. God wants you to be still to whatever comes. You can trust God in the storm. God wants you to rest in His love. He knows what’s best. We don’t have to try to figure out why or question God or worry about if we are being tested. Stop leaning on your own understanding.
Stand up against the enemy in faith. “Satan you’re a liar my God hears me and He loves me.” Stop saying maybe it’s because of this or maybe it’s because I did this. No! Don’t doubt. Be quiet and trust in the Lord. Rest in Him! Some of my greatest prayers are in silent. You don’t have to roar. Sometimes all you have to say is help.
22. Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
23. Hebrews 4:10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his.
24. Psalm 62:5 Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him.
25. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. Acknowledge him in all your ways, and he will make your paths straight.
26. 1 Peter 1:6-9 In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith–of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire–may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
We often try to do things in the flesh.
The work of God can’t be done in the power of your own strength and the power of the intellect. If God doesn’t make a way there will be no way. Stop trying to run around and have faith that God’s hands will move.
26. Hebrews 11:10 Abraham was confidently looking forward to a city with eternal foundations, a city designed and built by God.
We must trust the Lord in impossible situations.
Some of you are going through the worst pain of your life. You need to come to a place of absolute faith in the Lord. We should say this. (God may your will be done!) We need to absolutely trust in the Lord even if it means death. Many times when we start to fully rely upon the Lord in our situation God starts to move.
I want you to know that God is faithful. Many of you are weary, but God is going to deliver you soon. Don’t give up! God has made you a promise and He is going to keep the promise.
28. Hebrews 11:11 By faith even Sarah herself received ability to conceive, even beyond the proper time of life, since she considered Him faithful who had promised.
29. Job 13:15 Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face.
30. Psalm 34:17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.
Bonus: Our faith will grow by removing fear from our lives, stepping out of our comfort zone, getting to know God more in prayer, and spending time with God in His Word.
Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.