What does the Bible say about bullying?
It never feels good to be bullied. I know sometimes you probably feel maybe I should punch the person, but violence is not the answer. Christians should pray to God, pray for the bully, and try to help the bully. You never know what someone is going through.
Matthew 5:39 says, “but I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.”
Saul tried to kill David, but David spared him and don’t forget Jesus prayed for the people that were crucifying Him.
Christians should always look to God for guidance for any situation that we’re in. God loves you. Every obstacle in life is for a reason. It is building you up. Be strong, God will help you with your bullying or cyberbullying situation.
Christian quotes about bullying
“Like Adam and Eve, most of the time the real object of our worship isn’t some creature out there, it’s this creature right here. In the end, my idolatry centers on me. What’s more, if I can persuade you or bully you or manipulate you, my idolatry will include you worshiping me as well.” Michael Lawrence
“Pulling someone down will never help you reach the top.” Abhishek Tiwari
“Be sure to taste your words before you spit them out.”
“Keep in mind, hurting people often hurt other people as a result of their own pain. If somebody is rude and inconsiderate, you can almost be certain that they have some unresolved issues inside. They have some major problems, anger, resentment, or some heartache they are trying to cope with or overcome. The last thing they need is for you to make matters worse by responding angrily.”
“A negative mind will never give you a positive life.”
“Blowing out someone else’s candle won’t make yours shine brighter.”
Message to bullies
1. Matthew 7:2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.
2. Matthew 7:12 So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
3. Isaiah 29:20 For the ruthless shall come to nothing and the scoffer cease, and all who watch to do evil shall be cut off.
4. Matthew 5:22 But I say, if you are even angry with someone, you are subject to judgment! If you call someone an idiot, you are in danger of being brought before the court. And if you curse someone, you are in danger of the fires of hell.
5. Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
Blessed are you when you are bullied
6. Matthew 5:10 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
7. Matthew 5:11 God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers.
8. 2 Corinthians 12:10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
We must love our enemies and our bullies
9. Luke 6:35 Love your enemies! Do good to them. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to those who are unthankful and wicked.
10. 1 John 2:9 Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness.
11. James 2:8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right.
12. Matthew 19:19 honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself.
13. Leviticus 19:18 You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.
14. 2 Timothy 1:7 For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
Do not fear man: The Lord is your protector against bullies
15. Psalm 27:1 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
16. Psalm 49:5 Why should I fear when evil days come, when wicked deceivers surround me.
17. Matthew 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
18. Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.
Vengeance is for the Lord
19. Psalm 18:2-5 The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. I called on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and he saved me from my enemies. The ropes of death entangled me; floods of destruction swept over me. The grave wrapped its ropes around me; death laid a trap in my path. But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry to him reached his ears.
20. Hebrews 10:30 For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.”
21. Romans 12:19-20 My friends, do not try to punish others when they wrong you, but wait for God to punish them with his anger. It is written: “I will punish those who do wrong; I will repay them,” says the Lord. But you should do this: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink. Doing this will be like pouring burning coals on his head.”
22. Ephesians 4:29 When you talk, do not say harmful things, but say what people need—words that will help others become stronger. Then what you say will do good to those who listen to you.
Examples of bullying in the Bible
23. 1 Samuel 24:4-7 And the men of David said to him, “Here is the day of which the Lord said to you, ‘Behold, I will give your enemy into your hand, and you shall do to him as it shall seem good to you.” Then David arose and stealthily cut off a corner of Saul’s robe. And afterward David’s heart struck him, because he had cut off a corner of Saul’s robe. He said to his men, “The Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my lord, the Lord’s anointed, to put out my hand against him, seeing he is the Lord’s anointed.” So David persuaded his men with these words and did not permit them to attack Saul. And Saul rose up and left the cave and went on his way.
24. Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.
25. 2 Corinthians 11:23-26 Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers.