Bible verses about orphans
When you become a Christian you are automatically in God’s family. We were adopted by God through Christ. Even if our earthly father is not there, we can rest assure that in the Lord we have the perfect father.
God Almighty is the father of the fatherless. God comforts, encourages, and upholds orphans because He loves them.
In the same way He loves and helps orphans we are to imitate Him and do the same.
It’s truly amazing to see Christians going on mission trips to orphanages and it’s also amazing when Christians adopt orphans.
Serve Christ by serving others. Have empathy for the fatherless. God will not forget your kindness.
- “Genuine faith shelters the orphan.” – Russell Moore
- “We care for orphans not because we are rescuers, but because we are the rescued.” -David Platt.
What does the Bible say?
1. John 14:18-20 No, I will not abandon you as orphans–I will come to you. Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Since I live, you also will live. When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.
2. Psalm 68:3-5 But let the godly rejoice. Let them be glad in God’s presence. Let them be filled with joy. Sing praises to God and to his name! Sing loud praises to him who rides the clouds. His name is the Lord rejoice in his presence! Father to the fatherless, defender of widows— this is God, whose dwelling is holy.
God defends orphans.
3. Psalm 10:17-18 Lord, you know the hopes of the helpless. Surely you will hear their cries and comfort them. You will bring justice to the orphans and the oppressed, so mere people can no longer terrify them.
4. Psalm 146:8-10 The Lord opens the eyes of the blind. The Lord lifts up those who are weighed down. The Lord loves the godly. The Lord protects the foreigners among us. He cares for the orphans and widows, but he frustrates the plans of the wicked. The Lord will reign forever. He will be your God, O Jerusalem, throughout the generations. Praise the Lord!
5. Jeremiah 49:11 But I will protect the orphans who remain among you. Your widows, too, can depend on me for help.
6. Deuteronomy 10:17-18 For the Lord your God is the God of gods and Lord of lords. He is the great God, the mighty and awesome God, who shows no partiality and cannot be bribed. He ensures that orphans and widows receive justice. He shows love to the foreigners living among you and gives them food and clothing.
7. Psalm 10:14 Thou hast seen it; for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite it with thy hand: the poor committeth himself unto thee; thou art the helper of the fatherless.
8. Psalm 82:3-4 “Give justice to the poor and the orphan; uphold the rights of the oppressed and the destitute. Rescue the poor and helpless; deliver them from the grasp of evil people.”
We are to help orphans.
9. James 1:27 Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.
10. Exodus 22:22-23 “Do not take advantage of the widow or the fatherless. If you do and they cry out to me, I will certainly hear their cry.”
11. Zechariah 7:9-10 Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Execute true judgment, and shew mercy and compassions every man to his brother: And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart.
12. Deuteronomy 24:17 Thou shalt not pervert the judgment of the stranger, nor of the fatherless; nor take a widow’s raiment to pledge:
13. Matthew 7:12 “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.”
14. Isaiah 1:17 Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows.
15. Deuteronomy 14:28-29 At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town. Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work.
God is serious when it comes to orphans.
16. Exodus 22:23-24 If you exploit them in any way and they cry out to me, then I will certainly hear their cry. My anger will blaze against you, and I will kill you with the sword. Then your wives will be widows and your children fatherless.
17. Deuteronomy 27:19 Cursed is anyone who denies justice to foreigners, orphans, or widows.’ And all the people will reply, ‘Amen.’
18. Isaiah 1:23-24 Your leaders are rebels, the companions of thieves. All of them love bribes and demand payoffs, but they refuse to defend the cause of orphans or fight for the rights of widows. Therefore, the Lord, the LORD of Heaven’s Armies, the Mighty One of Israel, says, “I will take revenge on my enemies and pay back my foes!
19. Hosea 14:3 “Assyria cannot save us; we will not mount warhorses. We will never again say ‘Our gods’ to what our own hands have made, for in you the fatherless find compassion.”
20. Isaiah 43:4 Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life.
21. Romans 8:38-39 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
God will never forsake His children
22. Psalm 91:14 “Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
23. Deuteronomy 31:8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
24. Matthew 25:40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!”
25. Lamentations 5:3 We have become orphans, fatherless; our mothers are like widows.
Matthew 18:5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.