What does the Bible say about doing the right thing?
Apart from Christ we can’t do the right thing. We all fall short of God’s Glory. God is a holy God and demands perfection. Jesus who is God in the flesh lived the perfect life we couldn’t live and died for our iniquities. All men must repent and believe on Jesus Christ. He has made us right before God. Jesus is a believers only claim, not good deeds.
True faith in Christ will cause us to become a new creation. God will give us a new heart for Him. We will have new desires and affections for Christ.
His love for us and our love and appreciation for Him will drive us to do what is right. It will drive us to obey Him, spend time with Him, get to know Him, and love others more.
As Christians we do the right thing not because it saves us, but because Christ saved us. In everything you do, do it all for God’s glory.
Christian quotes about doing what is right
Do what is right, not what is easy.
The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.
Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching. C.S. Lewis
Knowing what’s right doesn’t mean much unless you do what’s right. Theodore Roosevelt
What Scripture teaches on doing the right thing
1. 1 Peter 3:14 But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened.”
2. James 4:17 So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin
3. Galatians 6:9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.
4. James 1:22 But be doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.
5. John 14:23 Jesus answered, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
6. James 2:8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right.
Follow the example of Jesus our Savior
7. Ephesians 5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
God pours out His love on us. His love makes us want to obey Him, love Him more, and love others more.
8. 1 John 4:7-8 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
9. 1 Corinthians 13:4-6 Love is patient, love is kind, it is not envious. Love does not brag, it is not puffed up. It is not rude, it is not self-serving, it is not easily angered or resentful. It is not glad about injustice, but rejoices in the truth.
10. 1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to humanity. God is faithful, and He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation He will also provide a way of escape so that you are able to bear it.
11. James 4:7 Therefore, submit to God. But resist the Devil, and he will flee from you.
How to know if I’m doing the right thing?
12. John 16:7-8 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
13. Romans 14:23 But if you have doubts about whether or not you should eat something, you are sinning if you go ahead and do it. For you are not following your convictions. If you do anything you believe is not right, you are sinning.
14. Galatians 5:19-23 Now, the effects of the corrupt nature are obvious: illicit sex, perversion, promiscuity, idolatry, drug use, hatred, rivalry, jealousy, angry outbursts, selfish ambition, conflict, factions, envy, drunkenness, wild partying, and similar things. I’ve told you in the past and I’m telling you again that people who do these kinds of things will not inherit God’s kingdom. But the spiritual nature produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There are no laws against things like that.
Seek good instead of evil
15. Psalm 34:14 Turn away from evil and do what is right! Strive for peace and promote it!
Struggling to do the right thing
Although we may hate sin and want to do the right thing, we often fall short because of our sin nature. We all genuinely struggle with sin, but God is faithful to forgive us. We must continue to make war with sin.
17. Romans 7:19 I don’t do the good I want to do. Instead, I do the evil that I don’t want to do.
18. Romans 7:21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me.
19. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
Don’t repay people for their evil.
20. Romans 12:19 Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say, “I will take revenge; I will pay them back,” says the LORD.
Live for the Lord
21. 1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.
22. Colossians 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
Put others before yourself. Do good and help others.
23. Matthew 5:42 Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.
24. 1 John 3:17 He that hath a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he giveth of his bread to the poor.
Do what’s right and pray
25. Colossians 4:2 Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.
Galatians 5:16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.