What does the Bible say about hard work?
Scripture talks a lot about working hard with happiness while serving God at your job workplace. Always work as if you were working for God and not your employer. The Bible and life tells us that hard work will always bring some type of profit.
When we think about profit usually we think about money, but it can be anything.
For example, hard work in school will lead to more wisdom, a better job, more opportunities, etc.
Don’t be that person with big dreams who says, “I’m going to do this and this,” but doesn’t.
Don’t be that person who wants the results of labor without sweating.
Idle hands never get anything done. God looks down upon laziness, but He shows with hard work you can accomplish many things. When you’re in God’s will God will strengthen you daily and help you.
Follow the examples of Christ, Paul, and Peter who were all hard workers. Work hard, pray hard, preach hard, and study Scripture hard.
Rely on the Holy Spirit for help daily. I pray that you store these Scripture quotes in your heart for inspiration and help.
Christian quotes about hard work
“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.” Tim Notke
“Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” Augustine
“There is no substitute for hard work.” Thomas A. Edison
“Without hard work, nothing grows but weeds.” Gordon B. Hinckley
“What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow.” Martin Luther
“Fear God and work hard.” David Livingstone
“I used to ask God to help me. Then I asked if I might help Him to do His work through me.” Hudson Taylor
“We tend to set up success in Christian work as our purpose, but our purpose should be to display the glory of God in human life, to live a life “hidden with Christ in God” in our everyday human conditions.” Oswald Chambers
“Through hard work, perseverance and a faith in God, you can live your dreams.” Ben Carson
“Read the Bible. Work hard and honestly. And don’t complain.” — Billy Graham
“If God is satisfied with the work, the work may be satisfied with itself.” C.S. Lewis
“Avoid idleness, and fill up all the spaces of thy time with severe and useful employment; for lust easily creeps in at those emptinesses where the soul is unemployed and the body is at ease; for no easy, healthful, idle person was ever chaste if he could be tempted; but of all employments, bodily labor is the most useful, and of the greatest benefit for driving away the Devil.” Jeremy Taylor
Serve the Lord in your work by working hard for Him.
1. Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
2. Colossians 3:23-24 Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ.
3. 1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
4. Romans 12:11-12 Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying.
All hard work brings a profit
Don’t talk about it, be about it and work hard.
5. Proverbs 14:23-24 All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty. The wealth of the wise is their crown, but the folly of fools yields folly.
6. Philippians 2:14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing.
A diligent worker is hard-working
7. 2 Timothy 2:6-7 And hardworking farmers should be the first to enjoy the fruit of their labor. Think about what I am saying. The Lord will help you understand all these things.
8. Proverbs 10:4-5 Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. He who gathers crops in summer is a prudent son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son.
9. Proverbs 6:7-8 Though they have no prince or governor or ruler to make them work, they labor hard all summer, gathering food for the winter.
10. Proverbs 12:24 Diligent hands will rule, but laziness ends in forced labor.
11. Proverbs 28:19-20 A hard worker has plenty of food, but a person who chases fantasies ends up in poverty. The trustworthy person will get a rich reward, but a person who wants quick riches will get into trouble.
There is a difference between working hard and overworking yourself which Scripture doesn’t condone.
12. Psalm 127:1-2 Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.
13. Ecclesiastes 1:2-3 “Everything is meaningless,” says the Teacher, “completely meaningless!” What do people get for all their hard work under the sun?
Work hard to help others in need.
14. Acts 20:35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
Those who work hard will prosper
Don’t be a lazy couch potato.
15. Proverbs 13:4 Lazy people want much but get little, but those who work hard will prosper.
16. 2 Thessalonians 3:10 While we were with you, we gave you the order: “Whoever doesn’t want to work shouldn’t be allowed to eat.”
17. 2 Thessalonians 3:11-12 We hear that some people in your group refuse to work. They are doing nothing except being busy in the lives of others. Our instruction to them is to stop bothering others, to start working and earn their own food. It is by the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ that we are urging them to do this.
18. Proverbs 18:9-10 A lazy person is as bad as someone who destroys things. The name of the LORD is a strong fortress; the godly run to him and are safe.
19. Proverbs 20:13 If you love sleep, you will end in poverty. Keep your eyes open, and there will be plenty to eat!
We must never work hard in wickedness.
20. Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
21. Proverbs 4:14-17 Don’t take the path of the wicked; don’t follow those who do evil. Stay away from that path; don’t even go near it. Turn around and go another way. The wicked cannot sleep until they have done something evil. They will not rest until they bring someone down. Evil and violence are their food and drink
Motivational Bible verse to help you to work hard
22.Philippians 4:13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.
Examples of hard work in the Bible
23. Revelation 2:2-3 I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary.
24. 1 Corinthians 4:12-13 We work wearily with our own hands to earn our living. We bless those who curse us. We are patient with those who abuse us. We appeal gently when evil things are said about us. Yet we are treated like the world’s garbage, like everybody’s trash–right up to the present moment.
25. Genesis 29:18-21 Jacob loved Rachel. And he said, “I will serve you seven years for your younger daughter Rachel.” Laban said, “It is better that I give her to you than that I should give her to any other man; stay with me.” So Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and they seemed to him but a few days because of the love he had for her. Then Jacob said to Laban, “Give me my wife that I may go in to her, for my time is completed.”
John 5:17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father has been working until now, and I, too, am working.”