What does the Bible say about diligence?
Usually when we think about diligence we think about a good work ethic. Diligence should not only be used at the workplace. It should be used in all areas of our life. Diligence on your walk of faith leads to spiritual growth, a greater love for others, greater love for Christ, and a greater understanding of the gospel and God’s love for you. Where diligence is procrastination and laziness is not. We must never slack while doing God’s will.
The diligent man will always accomplish his goals. In the workplace, the diligent worker will be rewarded, while the slothful will not.
Those who diligently seek the Lord will be rewarded with many things such as a greater presence of God in their life.
The spiritually lazy man can never move forward. Christians are saved by faith in Christ alone. True faith in Christ will change you.
It’s not just you anymore. It’s God living inside you and working in you. God will help you.
Be diligent in your prayer life, when preaching, when studying, in obeying the Lord, when evangelizing, and when doing any task that God has called you to do.
Let your dedication to Christ be your motivation and add diligence to your life today.
Christian quotes about diligence
“Let’s be diligent in giving, careful in our living, and faithful in our praying.” Jack Hyles
“I am afraid that the schools will prove the very gates of hell, unless they diligently labor in explaining the Holy Scriptures and engraving them in the heart of the youth.” Martin Luther
“Are you still diligently living for God and serving Him, even in these last days? Now is not the time to ease up, but to charge forward and continue living for the Lord.” Paul Chappell
“Do not grow overconfident following a few victories. Should you not rely upon the Holy Spirit you will soon be thrown once more into a distressing experience. With holy diligence you must cultivate an attitude of dependency.” Watchman Nee
“Christians should be the most diligent people on the planet. Sadly this is often not the case as we are outspent, outthought and outperformed oftentimes by the very opponents of the Gospel. Is there any cause greater than fighting for the eternal salvation of souls? Is there any book more accurate and relevant and thrilling than the inspired Word of God? Is there any power greater than the Holy Spirit? Is there any god who can compare with our God? Then where is the diligence, the dedication, the determination of His people?” Randy Smith
“Consider diligently these words, without works, by faith only, freely we receive remission of our sins. What can be spoken more plainly, than to say, that freely without works, by faith only, we obtain remission of our sins?” Thomas Cranmer
The Bible and being diligent
1. 2 Peter 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge.
2. Proverbs 4:23 Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.
3. Romans 12:11 not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord.
4. 2 Timothy 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
5. Hebrews 6:11 We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, so that what you hope for may be fully realized.
Scriptures on diligence in work
6. Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatever you find to do with your hands, do it with all your might, because there is neither work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the grave, the place where you will eventually go.
7. Proverbs 12:24 The diligent person will rule, but the slothful will become a slave.
8. Proverbs 13:4 The lazy person craves, yet receives nothing, but the desires of the diligent are satisfied.
10. Proverbs 12:27 The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
11. Proverbs 21:5 The plans of hard-working people earn a profit, but those who act too quickly become poor.
Diligently seeking God in prayer
12. Proverbs 8:17 I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me.
13. Hebrews 11:6 Now without faith it is impossible to please God, for whoever comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who diligently search for him.
14. Deuteronomy 4:29 But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul.
15. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Always be joyful. Pray continually, and give thanks whatever happens. That is what God wants for you in Christ Jesus.
16. Luke 18:1 Jesus told his disciples a parable about their need to pray all the time and never give up.
Studying and following God’s Word diligently
17. Joshua 1:8 This law scroll must not leave your lips! You must memorize it day and night so you can carefully obey all that is written in it. Then you will prosper and be successful.
18. Deuteronomy 6:17 You must diligently obey the commands of the LORD your God–all the laws and decrees he has given you.
19. Psalm 119:4-7 You have ordained Your precepts, That we should keep them diligently. Oh that my ways may be established To keep Your statutes! Then I shall not be ashamed When I look upon all Your commandments. I shall give thanks to You with uprightness of heart, When I learn Your righteous judgments.
Work for the Lord
20. 1 Corinthians 15:58 So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless.
21. Colossians 3:23 Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.
22. Proverbs 16:3 Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
23. Luke 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
24. Galatians 6:9 We must not get tired of doing good. We will receive our harvest of eternal life at the right time. We must not give up.
25. 2 Peter 3:14 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.
26. Romans 12:8 “if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.”
27. Proverbs 11:27 “Whoever diligently seeks good seeks favor, but evil comes to him who searches for it.”
Examples of diligence in the Bible
28. Jeremiah 12:16 “And it shall come to pass, if they will diligently learn the ways of my people, to swear by my name, ‘As the LORD lives,’ even as they taught my people to swear by Baal, then they shall be built up in the midst of my people.”
29. 2 Timothy 1:17 “But, when he was in Rome, he sought me out very diligently, and found me.”
30. Ezra 6:12 “May God, who has caused his Name to dwell there, overthrow any king or people who lifts a hand to change this decree or to destroy this temple in Jerusalem. I Darius have decreed it. Let it be carried out with diligence.”
31. Leviticus 10:16 “And Moses diligently sought the goat of the sin-offering, and, behold, it was burnt: and he was angry with Eleazar and with Ithamar, the sons of Aaron that were left, saying.”
Proverbs 11:27 The one who diligently seeks good seeks favor, but the one who searches for evil–it will come to him.