Bible verses about spanking children
Nowhere in Scripture does it condone child abuse, but it does recommend disciplining your children. A little spanking wouldn’t hurt. It’s meant to teach children right from wrong. If you don’t discipline your child it will be a higher chance that your child grows up to be disobedient thinking they can do whatever they want. Spanking is done out of love.
Before David Wilkerson’s father would whoop him he would always say, this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you.
Out of love he disciplined his son so he wouldn’t continue in disobedience.
When he finished the spanking he would always give pastor Wilkerson a hug. Both my parents would spank me.
Sometimes by hand and sometimes by belts. They never were harsh.
They never spanked me without cause. Discipline made me more respectful, loving, and obedient. I know I’m going to get in trouble and that’s wrong so I’m not going to do it anymore.
I knew some people who were never spanked and disciplined and they ended up cursing their parents out and being a disrespectful child. It is hateful to not spank your child when they need correction in their life.
A hateful parent lets their child go down the wrong path. A loving parent does something. Physical discipline is not the only form of discipline, but it’s an effective one.
Christian parents should use discernment when it comes to discipline. Sometimes there should be a warning and a talking to depending on the offense. Sometimes a spanking is needed. We should discern when a loving spanking is to be used.
- “Some homes need a hickory switch a good deal more than they do a piano.” Billy Sunday
- A child who is allowed to be disrespectful to his parents will not have true respect for anyone. Billy Graham
- “Loving discipline encourages a child to respect other people and live as a responsible, constructive citizen.” James Dobson
- I love you too much to let you behave like that.
What does the Bible say?
1. Proverbs 23:13-14 Don’t fail to discipline your children. They won’t die if you spank them. Physical discipline may well save them from death.
2. Proverbs 13:24 Whoever does not discipline his son hates him, but whoever loves him is diligent to correct him.
3. Proverbs 22:15 A child’s heart has a tendency to do wrong, but the rod of discipline removes it far away from him.
4. Proverbs 22:6 Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it.
Benefits of discipline
5. Hebrews 12:10-11 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
6. Proverbs 29:15 A rod and reproof impart wisdom, but a child who is unrestrained brings shame to his mother.
7. Proverbs 20:30 The blueness of a wound cleanseth away evil: so do stripes the inward parts of the belly.
8. Proverbs 29:17 Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul.
The Bible does not condone child abuse. It does not condone actual physical damage and unnecessary discipline.
9. Proverbs 19:18 Discipline your son while there is hope; don’t be intent on killing him.
10. Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, don’t stir up anger in your children, but bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
11. 1 Corinthians 16:14 Let all that you do be done in love.
12. Proverbs 17:25 Foolish children make their father sad and cause their mother great sorrow.
Just as we discipline our children, God disciplines His children.
13. Hebrews 12:6-7 The Lord disciplines everyone he loves. He severely disciplines everyone he accepts as his child.” Endure your discipline. God corrects you as a father corrects his children. All children are disciplined by their fathers.
14. Deuteronomy 8:5 You shall also consider in your heart, that, as a man chastens his son, so the LORD your God chastens you.
15. Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
Thank you so much for putting together these verses. It is exactly what I was looking for. It is draining sometimes to be a firm parent when necessary, but these verses hit hard and make it clear why it is important to follow through on discipline. “A child who is allowed to be disrespectful to his parents will not have true respect for anyone.” That is just profound… I read this article several times so it will sink in. Thanks again & God bless!