Bible verses about charity
When charity is used in Scripture usually it means love, but it also means giving, to help the needy, an act of kindness and generosity to others. Charity doesn’t have to be about money it can be whatever you have. Christians are to be charitable.
Not so we can be seen by others as good people, but out of our love and compassion for others.
When you’re giving to charity picture yourself helping Christ because by serving others you are serving Jesus.
Where is your heart? Would you rather buy a gadget that you really don’t need or would you rather give to someone who is looking for a meal? Be a blessing to others in need.
“God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” Billy Graham
“We ought to be people of compassion. And being people of compassion means we deny ourselves, and our self centeredness.” Mike Huckabee
“Charity sees the need not the cause.”
“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” John Bunyan
“What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like.” Augustine
What does the Bible say?
1. Matthew 25:35 I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger, and you took me into your home.
2. Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
4. Romans 12:10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor.
5. Luke 11:41 But give that which is within as charity, and then all things are clean for you.
6. Acts 20:35 And I have been a constant example of how you can help those in need by working hard. You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: It is more blessed to give than to receive.
7. Romans 12:13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
Scripture teaches us to make sacrifices for others.
8. Luke 12:33 Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.
9. Philippians 2:3-4 In whatever you do, don’t let selfishness or pride be your guide. Be humble, and honor others more than yourselves. Don’t be interested only in your own life, but care about the lives of others too.
We are expected by Jesus to give.
10. Matthew 6:2 When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do–blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get.
God blesses people with more so they can be a blessing to others.
11. Romans 12:7-8 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.
12. Luke 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.
13. 2 Corinthians 9:8 Besides, God will give you his constantly overflowing kindness. Then, when you always have everything you need, you can do more and more good things.
We must be cheerful givers.
14. 2 Corinthians 9:7 Each of you should give whatever you have decided. You shouldn’t be sorry that you gave or feel forced to give, since God loves a cheerful giver.
15. Deuteronomy 15:10 Give generously to them and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.
We must have the right motives.
16. Corinthians 13:3 I may give away everything I have to help others, and I may even give my body as an offering to be burned. But I gain nothing by doing all this if I don’t have love.
17. 1 John 3:17 But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?
18. Proverbs 31:9 Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.
True faith in Christ will result in works.
19. James 2:16-17 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
20. Proverbs 21:13 Whoever closes his ear to the cry of the poor will himself call out and not be answered.
21. Luke 6:38 “Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure– pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return.”
22. Proverbs 19:17 If you help the poor, you are lending to the LORD–and he will repay you!
23. Acts 9:36 Now in Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which translated in Greek is called Dorcas); this woman was abounding with deeds of kindness and charity which she continually did.
24. Matthew 19:21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
25. Luke 10:35 The next day he handed the innkeeper two silver coins, telling him, ‘Take care of this man. If his bill runs higher than this, I’ll pay you the next time I’m here.