Bible verses about abandonment
Jesus, who is God in the flesh said, “my God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Every Christian goes through times where it feels like God has abandoned them. It feels like He has left us. We think that He’s mad at us. We pray and we pray and still nothing. When you first put your trust in Christ for salvation you feel pumped. You have joy. You feel a close connection with God and then as time goes on God distances Himself. When doing God’s will, you will go through trials.
Often times you can’t see what God is doing, but sometimes you can. Rejoice in the fact that you are praying to God more than ever. You truly see that without Christ you have nothing. Hold on to Christ and you stand firm in faith! God will work in your life for your good and His good purposes. You won’t go through trials forever. No one said the Christian life will be the easiest.
Ask David, ask Job, ask Paul. You will go through trials, but you can rest assured that God will not lie. If He said He won’t leave you, then no matter how bad your situation may seem, He won’t leave you.
Trust in Him and know that He loves you and remember that all things work together for good. In life when everyone else abandons you, God will never. Continually build your prayer life and pour your heart out to Him. He will help you and you will see the goodness of the Lord.
Christian quotes about abandonment
“There are soft moments even to desperadoes. God does not, all at once, abandon even them.” Richard Cecil
“No matter what storm you face, you need to know that God loves you. He has not abandoned you.” Franklin Graham
“God is never in a hurry, but God is never too late.”
“Though my life is hard and i face tough issues, my God will never abandon me.”
“God didn’t bring you this far to abandon you.”
How we may feel at times
1. Lamentations 5:19-22 “You, Lord, reign forever; your throne endures from generation to generation. Why do you always forget us? Why do you forsake us so long? Restore us to yourself, Lord, that we may return; renew our days as of old unless you have utterly rejected us and are angry with us beyond measure.”
Trials are for your good
2. James 1:2-4 “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you are involved in various trials, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance. But you must let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing.”
3. 1 Peter 1:6-7 “Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ.”
4. Romans 5:3-5 “And not only that, but we also rejoice in our afflictions, because we know that affliction produces endurance, endurance produces proven character, and proven character produces hope. This hope will not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.”
5. Philippians 2:13 “For it is God who is working in you, enabling you both to desire and to work out His good purpose.”
God has not abandoned you
You may have times in your life when it seems that He has forsaken you, but He will never forsake His children.
6. Isaiah 49:15-16 “Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.”
7. Psalm 27:10 “Though my father and my mother abandoned me, the LORD gathers me up.”
8. Psalm 9:10-11 “Those who know your name will trust you, for you have not forsaken those who seek you, Lord. Sing praises to the Lord who dwells in Zion; declare his mighty deeds among the peoples.”
9. Joshua 1:9 “I’ve commanded you, haven’t I? Be strong and courageous. Don’t be fearful or discouraged, because the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”
10. Hebrews 13:5-6 “Keep your lives free from the love of money. And be satisfied with what you have. God has said, “I will never leave you; I will never run away from you.” So we can feel sure and say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. People can do nothing to me.”
11. Psalm 37:28 “Indeed, the Lord loves justice, and he will not abandon his godly ones. They are kept safe forever, but the lawless will be chased away, and the descendants of the wicked will be cut off.”
12. Leviticus 26:44 “Yet in spite of this, while they are in the land of their enemies, I will not reject or abhor them so as to destroy them and break My covenant with them, since I am Yahweh their God.”
Jesus felt abandoned
13. Mark 15:34 “Then at three o’clock Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” which means “My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?”
14. Psalm 22:1-3 “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest. Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel.”
David felt abandoned
15. Psalm 13:1-2 “How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?”
John the baptist felt abandoned by God
16. Matthew 11:2-4 “John the Baptist, who was in prison, heard about all the things the Messiah was doing. So he sent his disciples to ask Jesus, “Are you the Messiah we’ve been expecting, or should we keep looking for someone else?” Jesus told them, “Go back to John and tell him what you have heard and seen.”
Trust in God, not your circumstances.
17. Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.”
Never stop crying out to God.
18. Psalm 71:9-12 “Do not reject me in my old age! When my strength fails, do not abandon me! For my enemies talk about me; those waiting for a chance to kill me plot my demise. They say, “God has abandoned him. Run and seize him, for there is no one who will rescue him!” O God, do not remain far away from me! My God, hurry and help me!”
19. Jeremiah 14:9 “Are you also confused? Is our champion helpless to save us? You are right here among us, Lord. We are known as your people. Please don’t abandon us now!”
20. 1 Peter 5:6-7 “And God will exalt you in due time, if you humble yourselves under his mighty hand by casting all your cares on him because he cares for you.”
21. Romans 8:35-39 “Can anything separate us from Christ’s love? Can trouble or problems or persecution separate us from his love? If we have no food or clothes or face danger or even death, will that separate us from his love? As the Scriptures say, “For you we are in danger of death all the time. People think we are worth no more than sheep to be killed.” But in all these troubles we have complete victory through God, who has shown his love for us. Yes, I am sure that nothing can separate us from God’s love—not death, life, angels, or ruling spirits. I am sure that nothing now, nothing in the future, no powers, nothing above us or nothing below us—nothing in the whole created world—will ever be able to separate us from the love God has shown us in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
22. 2 Corinthians 4:8-10 “In every way we’re troubled but not crushed, frustrated but not in despair, persecuted but not abandoned, struck down but not destroyed. We are always carrying around the death of Jesus in our bodies, so that the life of Jesus may be clearly shown in our bodies.”