Bible verses about self harm
Many people ask is cutting a sin? Yes, self mutilation can happen when someone feels God has rejected them or doesn’t love them, which isn’t true. God loves you so much. He bought you with a high price. Jesus died to show God’s awesome love for you. Stop trusting in your mind and trust in the Lord instead.
We must not be unkind, but show compassion to cutters. A cutter may feel relieved after cutting, but then feels grief and more depressed later.
Let God encourage you and help you instead of taking matters into your own hands.
Don’t let the devil tell you that you’re worthless because he’s been a liar from the beginning. Put on the full armor of God to avoid self injury and continually pray.
I know you always hear that you must pray, but it’s something that we always hear, but rarely do. I’m not talking about a 30 second prayer. I’m talking about pouring your heart out to God.
God is the best listener and comforter. Tell Him the root of your problems. Use the Lord’s strength to resist the devil. Tell the Holy Spirit, “I need your help.” You must not hide this problem, you must tell someone.
Seek help from the wise such as Christian counselors, pastors, etc. Please I encourage you to read two other pages when you’re done with this.
The first is the link at the top of the page to hear and better understand the gospel. The next is 25 Bible verses for when you feel worthless.
- “When we pray for the Spirit’s help … we will simply fall down at the Lord’s feet in our weakness. There we will find the victory and power that comes from His love.” Andrew Murray
- “If God can work through me, he can work through anyone.” Francis of Assisi
Your body is a temple
1. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 “Don’t you know that your body is a temple that belongs to the Holy Spirit? The Holy Spirit, whom you received from God, lives in you. You don’t belong to yourselves. You were bought for a price. So bring glory to God in the way you use your body.”
2. 1 Corinthians 3:16 “Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?”
3. Leviticus 19:28 “You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord.”
Trust in the Lord
4. Isaiah 50:10 “Who among you fears the LORD and obeys the word of his servant? Let the one who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the LORD and rely on their God.”
5. Psalm 9:9-10 “The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name trust you, O Lord, because you have never deserted those who seek your help.”
6. Psalm 56:3-4 “Even when I am afraid, I still trust you. I praise the word of God. I trust God. I am not afraid. What can mere flesh and blood do to me?”
Resist the devil and his lies
7. James 4:7 “So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”
8. 1 Peter 5:8 “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.”
9. Ephesians 6:11-13 “Put on the whole armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm against the Devil’s strategies. For our struggle is not against human opponents, but against rulers, authorities, cosmic powers in the darkness around us, and evil spiritual forces in the heavenly realm. For this reason, take up the whole armor of God so that you may be able to take a stand whenever evil comes. And when you have done everything you could, you will be able to stand firm.”
God loves you
10. Jeremiah 31:3 “The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.”
11. Romans 5:8 “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
Cutting is associated with false religion in the Bible.
12. 1 Kings 18:24-29 “Then call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord. The god who answers by setting fire to the wood is the true God!” And all the people agreed. Then Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, “You go first, for there are many of you. Choose one of the bulls, and prepare it and call on the name of your god. But do not set fire to the wood.” So they prepared one of the bulls and placed it on the altar. Then they called on the name of Baal from morning until noontime, shouting, “O Baal, answer us!” But there was no reply of any kind. Then they danced, hobbling around the altar they had made. About noontime Elijah began mocking them. “You’ll have to shout louder,” he scoffed, “for surely he is a god! Perhaps he is daydreaming, or is relieving himself. Or maybe he is away on a trip, or is asleep and needs to be wakened!” So they shouted louder, and following their normal custom, they cut themselves with knives and swords until the blood gushed out. They raved all afternoon until the time of the evening sacrifice, but still there was no sound, no reply, no response.”
God’s help is only a prayer away.
13. 1 Peter 5:7 “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.”
14. Psalm 68:19 “Blessed be the Lord who daily carries us. God is our deliverer.”
Don’t use your own strength, use God’s strength.
15. Philippians 4:13 “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”
16. 1 Corinthians 6:12 “You say, “I am allowed to do anything”–but not everything is good for you. And even though “I am allowed to do anything,” I must not become a slave to anything.”
17. Corinthians 10:13 “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”
The importance of seeking help.
18. Proverbs 11:14 “A nation falls through a lack of guidance, but victory comes through the counsel of many.”
The Lord is near
19. Psalm 34:18-19 “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted, and he delivers those whose spirit has been crushed. A righteous person will have many troubles, but the Lord will deliver him from them all.”
20. Psalm 147:3 “He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.”
21. Isaiah 41:10 “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
Peace through Christ
22. Philippians 4:7 “And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
23. Colossians 3:15 “And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.”
24. 2 Timothy 1:7 “For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.”
25. 1 John 1:9 “But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.”