Bible verses about serving the poor
God cares about the poor and we are to care as well. We don’t realize that to someone living on the street or someone in another country making 100-300 dollars a month, we are rich. It’s hard for the rich to get into Heaven. We must stop thinking about self and think about others in need.
We are commanded to help the poor with a cheerful heart, not with a grudging one. When you serve the poor you are not only serving them you are serving Christ as well.
You’re storing for yourself great treasure in Heaven. God will not forget your blessing to others. Serve the poor expecting nothing in return.
Don’t do it for show like some hypocrites. People don’t need to know what you’re doing. Have empathy for others, do it out of love, and for the glory of God.
Sacrifice your time, your money, your food, your water, your clothes, and you will feel so much joy in serving others. Pray with the poor and pray for an opportunity to help those in need.
- While we don’t have Jesus standing right before us, we have unlimited opportunities to serve Him as though He were.
- The great thing about serving the poor is that there is no competition. Eugene Rivers
- “If you can’t feed a hundred people, then feed just one.
Serving Christ by serving others.
1. Matthew 25:35-40 For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you took care of Me;
I was in prison and you visited Me. “Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or without clothes and clothe You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and visit You? “And the King will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’
What does the Bible say?
2. Deuteronomy 15:11 There will always be poor people in the land. That is why I command you to be ready to help your brother or sister. Give to the poor in your land who need help.
3. Deuteronomy 15:7-8 When you are living in the land the Lord your God is giving you, there might be some poor people living among you. You must not be selfish. You must not refuse to give help to them. You must be willing to share with them. You must lend them whatever they need.
4. Proverbs 19:17 Giving help to the poor is like loaning money to the Lord. He will pay you back for your kindness.
5. Proverbs 22:9 Whoever has a bountiful eye will be blessed, for he shares his bread with the poor.
6. Isaiah 58:7-10 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, to bring the poor and homeless into your house, to clothe the naked when you see him, and not to ignore your own flesh and blood? Then your light will appear like the dawn, and your recovery will come quickly. Your righteousness will go before you, and the Lord’s glory will be your rear guard. At that time, when you call, the Lord will answer; when you cry out, He will say, ‘Here I am.’ If you get rid of the yoke among you, the finger-pointing and malicious speaking, and if you offer yourself to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted one, then your light will shine in the darkness, and your night will be like noonday.
Instructions to the rich.
7. 1 Timothy 6:17-19 Instruct those who are rich in the present age not to be arrogant or to set their hope on the uncertainty of wealth, but on God, who richly provides us with all things to enjoy. Instruct them to do what is good, to be rich in good works, to be generous, willing to share, storing up for themselves a good reserve for the age to come, so that they may take hold of life that is real.
Where is your heart?
8. Matthew 19:21-22 If you want to be perfect, Jesus said to him, “go, sell your belongings and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.” When the young man heard that command, he went away grieving, because he had many possessions.
9. Deuteronomy 15:10 Give freely to the poor person, and do not wish that you didn’t have to give. The Lord your God will bless your work and everything you touch.
10. Luke 6:38 Give, and it will be given to you; a good measure—pressed down, shaken together, and running over—will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.”
11. Matthew 10:42 And whoever gives only a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple, I tell you the truth, he will never lose his reward.
Pray that God will send opportunities to help the poor your way.
12. Matthew 7:7-8 Ask, and you will receive. Search, and you will find. Knock, and the door will be opened for you. Everyone who asks will receive. The one who searches will find, and for the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
13. Mark 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
14. Psalm 37:4 Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
15. Galatians 6:2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
16. Philippians 2:3-4 Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves. Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
Love one another.
17. 1 John 3:17-18 Now, suppose a person has enough to live on and notices another believer in need. How can God’s love be in that person if he doesn’t bother to help the other believer? Dear children, we must show love through actions that are sincere, not through empty words.
18. Mark 12:31 The second is: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other command greater than these.”
19. Ephesians 5:1-2 Therefore, be imitators of God, as dearly loved children. And walk in love, as the Messiah also loved us and gave Himself for us, a sacrificial and fragrant offering to God.
20. Proverbs 14:31 Whoever mistreats the poor insults their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.
21. Proverbs 29:7 Good people care about justice for the poor, but the wicked are not concerned.
22. Proverbs 21:13 Whoever ignores the poor when they cry for help will also cry for help and not be answered.
23. Romans 12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
Don’t be a hypocrite trying to get glory for yourself.
24. Matthew 6:2 When you give to the poor, don’t be like the hypocrites. They blow trumpets in the synagogues and on the streets so that people will see them and honor them. I tell you the truth, those hypocrites already have their full reward.
25. Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do, whether by speech or action, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Galatians 2:10 The only thing they asked us to do was to remember the poor, the very thing which I was eager to do.