Bible verses about name calling
Scripture tells us that Christians should not name call others because it comes from unrighteous anger. For example, someone accidentally steps on your shoes and you say fool. Do you know if that person is a fool? No, but are you angry he stepped on your shoes? Yes, that’s why you name called him.
Jesus said the word fool and other name calling words, but they were from righteous anger. He was speaking the truth. God is all-knowing. He knows your heart and intentions and if He calls you a liar then you’re a liar.
If He calls you a fool then you’re a fool and you better change your ways immediately. If you deliberately take away and add words to the Bible to teach others you are a fool? Is that insulting you?
No because it’s the truth. All the ways of Jesus are righteous and He always has a just cause for calling someone a fool or a hypocrite. Refrain from unrighteous anger, be angry and do not sin.
Putting someone down with name calling reveals your own low self-esteem. Stephen Richards
1. Proverbs 12:18 There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
2. Ecclesiastes 10:12-14 Words from the mouth of the wise are gracious, but fools are consumed by their own lips. At the beginning their words are folly; at the end they are wicked madness and fools multiply words. No one knows what is coming– who can tell someone else what will happen after them?
3. Matthew 5:22 But I say to you that anyone who is angry with a brother will be subjected to judgment. And whoever insults a brother will be brought before the council, and whoever says ‘Fool’ will be sent to fiery hell.
4. Colossians 3:7-8 You used to do these things when your life was still part of this world. But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language.
5. Ephesians 4:29-30 Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.
6. Ephesians 4:31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior.
Did Jesus name call?
He reviled who people truly were. This is coming from righteous anger not human unrighteous anger.
7. Ephesians 4:26 Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger.
8. James 1:20 for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
9. Matthew 6:5 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
10. Matthew 12:34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.
11. John 8:43-44 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
12. Matthew 7:6 “Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.
13. Colossians 4:6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
14. Proverbs 19:11 Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.
15. Luke 6:31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.