What does the Bible say about time?
As Christians we are not to manage our time the same way the world manages theirs. We must make sure that we seek God in everything that we do. We are to organize our time and plan wisely for the future. There are time management apps that we can download on our phones that we should all take advantage of. If you’re old school a simple notepad or calendar will help.
We are to take care of the most important tasks first. We should pray for God to remove procrastination and idleness from our lives. We should seek to do God’s will daily.
Continually meditate on Scripture and allow the Lord to direct your life. Everything in this life will burn. Don’t put your focus on the world.
When you live with an eternal perspective that will lead to managing your time better and doing God’s will. Always remember that ever minute counts. Don’t waste time.
Christian quotes about time
“Be careful to make a good improvement of precious time.” David Brainerd
“Time is your most precious gift, because you only have a set amount of it.” Rick Warren
“Serve God by doing common actions in a heavenly spirit, and then, if your daily calling only leaves you cracks and crevices of time, fill them up with holy service.” Charles Spurgeon
Scriptures that teach us on time in the Bible
Time is important and precious. Thank God for the time that we have on this earth. Don’t spend your time on things that don’t matter or hold no weight. Use every second wisely for the glory of God.
1. Ephesians 5:15-17 So, then, be careful how you live. Do not be unwise but wise, making the best use of your time because the times are evil. Therefore, do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.
2. Colossians 4:5 Behave wisely toward outsiders, making the best use of your time.
Seek wisdom from the Lord with your time
Seek wisdom from the Lord on how He desires you to use your time. The first thing we should do when we wake up is seek Him in prayer. When we do this we honor the Lord throughout the day better.
3. Psalm 90:12 Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
4. James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.
Spend your time wisely and live with eternity in mind
This life is fleeting. It is better to live in eternity and live for things that matter in the end.
5. 2 Corinthians 4:18 So we do not focus on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
6. Ecclesiastes 3:11 Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end.
7. 2 Corinthians 5:6-10 So, we are always confident and know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight, and we are confident and satisfied to be out of the body and at home with the Lord. Therefore, whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to be pleasing to Him. For we must all appear before the tribunal of Christ, so that each may be repaid for what he has done in the body, whether good or worthless.
Keep in your mind that you are never guaranteed tomorrow
9. James 4:13-14 Now listen, you who say, Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a town, stay there a year, conduct business, and make money. You do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
Don’t procrastinate: Manage your time better and make plans for the future.
10. Luke 14:28 For which of you, wanting to build a tower, doesn’t first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it?
11. Proverbs 21:5 The plans of the diligent lead only to plenty, but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty.
12. Proverbs 6:6-8 Consider the ant, you lazy bum. Watch its ways, and become wise. Although it has no overseer, officer, or ruler, in summertime it stores its food supply. At harvest time it gathers its food.
Allow the Lord to guide your time and life through the Spirit.
13. Proverbs 16:9 A person plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.
14. John 16:13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. For he will not speak on his own authority, but will speak whatever he hears, and will tell you what is to come.
Make time for God every day
How you spend your time matters. Examine your life. What do you spend your time on? How much of it is in prayer and being still before the Lord? Everything belongs to the Lord. Make sure that you’re enjoying Him throughout the day. Also, make sure that you are serving Him.
15. Psalm 55:16-17 But I will call on God, and the LORD will rescue me. Morning, noon, and night I cry out in my distress, and the LORD hears my voice.
Prioritize, organize, and set goals
16. Exodus 18:17-21 What you’re doing is not good, Moses’ father-in-law said to him. You will certainly wear out both yourself and these people who are with you, because the task is too heavy for you. You can’t do it alone. Now listen to me; I will give you some advice, and God be with you. You be the one to represent the people before God and bring their cases to Him. Instruct them about the statutes and laws, and teach them the way to live and what they must do. But you should select from all the people able men, God-fearing, trustworthy, and hating bribes. Place them over the people as commanders of thousands, hundreds, fifties, and tens.
17. Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first his kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Put your trust in the Lord and in His timing.
18. Psalm 31:14-15 But I trust in you, LORD. I say, “You are my God. My times are in your hands. Deliver me from the hands of my enemies and from those who pursue me.
19.Psalm 37:5 Commit your way to the LORD; trust in Him, and He will act.
We must have a good work ethic.
20. Proverbs 14:23 In all hard work there is profit, but merely talking about it only brings poverty.
21. Proverbs 20:13 Do not love sleep or you’ll become poor, keep your eyes open and you’ll have plenty of food.
22. Proverbs 6:9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep?
23. Proverbs 10:4 Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth.
Reminders about your time
24. Ecclesiastes 3:1-2 There is a season for everything, and a time for every event under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to uproot what was planted.
25. 1 Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight for the faith; take hold of eternal life that you were called to and have made a good confession about in the presence of many witnesses.