What does the Bible say about sleep?
Sleeping is something we all do and all need for a healthy life. Taking a nap gives our body time to recover from a long day. God never sleeps so He is always watching over us when we’re awake or sleeping.
Rest is good but when you get into the habit of always sleeping and not pursuing work to make a living that is laziness. Sleep well, but don’t do it too much because you will end up in poverty. These sleep Bible verses include translations from the KJV, ESV, NIV, NASB, and more.
Christian quotes about sleep
“A man can do only what he can do. But if he does that each day he can sleep at night and do it again the next day.” Albert Schweitzer
“The bow cannot be always bent without fear of breaking. Repose is as needful to the mind as sleep to the body… Rest time is not waste time. It is economy to gather fresh strength.” Charles Spurgeon
“All that a Christian does, even in eating and sleeping, is prayer, when it is done in simplicity, according to the order of God, without either adding to or diminishing from it by his own choice.” John Wesley
“If you keep burning the candle at both ends, sooner or later you will indulge in more and more mean cynicism – and the line between cynicism and doubt is a very thin one. Of course, different individuals require different numbers of hours of sleep: moreover, some cope with a bit of tiredness better than others. Nevertheless, if you are among those who become nasty, cynical, or even full of doubt when you are missing your sleep, you are morally obligated to try to get the sleep you need. We are whole, complicated beings; our physical existence is tied to our spiritual well-being, to our mental outlook, to our relationships with others, including our relationship with God. Sometimes the godliest thing you can do in the universe is get a good night’s sleep – not pray all night, but sleep. I’m certainly not denying that there may be a place for praying all night; I’m merely insisting that in the normal course of things, spiritual discipline obligates you get the sleep your body needs.” D.A. Carson
“Without sufficient sleep, we are not alert; our minds are dull, our emotions are flat and unenergetic, our proneness to depression is higher, and our fuses are short. “Take heed how you hear” means get a good night’s rest before you hear the Word of God.” John Piper
“Sleep in peace tonight, God is bigger than anything you will face tomorrow.”
“Know, by sad experience, what it is to be lulled to sleep with a false peace. Long was I lulled asleep; long did I think myself a Christian, when I knew nothing of the Lord Jesus Christ.” — George Whitefield
“Give it to God and go to sleep.”
“Father, thank you for holding me together today. I needed you, and you were there for me. Thank you for every bit of love, mercy, and grace that was shown to me though I did not deserve it. Thank you for your faithfulness even in my suffering. To you alone be the glory. Amen.” – Topher Haddox
Benefits of sleep
- Better health
- Better mood
- Better memory
- Improve daily performance
- Lower stress
- Sharper Brain
- Weight Control
Which Bible verses talk about sleep?
1. Ecclesiastes 5:12 “The sleep of a laboring man is sweet, Whether he eats little or much; But the abundance of the rich will not permit him to sleep.”
2. Jeremiah 31:26 “At this I awoke and looked around. My sleep had been pleasant to me.”
3. Matthew 26:45 “Then he came to the disciples and said, “Go ahead and sleep. Have your rest. But look—the time has come. The Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.”
4. Psalm 13:3 “Consider and answer me, O LORD my God; light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death.”
5. Hebrews 4:10″For all who have entered into God’s rest have rested from their labors, just as God did after creating the world.”
6. Exodus 34:21 “Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.”
What does the Bible say about not being able to sleep?
7. Psalm 127:2 “In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat— for he grants sleep to those he loves.”
8. Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
9. Psalm 46:10 “He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
10. Esther 6:1-2 “That night the king could not sleep; so he ordered the book of the chronicles, the record of his reign, to be brought in and read to him. It was found recorded there that Mordecai had exposed Bigthana and Teresh, two of the king’s officers who guarded the doorway, who had conspired to assassinate King Xerxes.”
11. Matthew 11:29 “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
12. Psalm 55:22 “Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.”
13. Psalm 112:6 “Surely he will never be shaken; the righteous man will be remembered forever.”
14. Psalm 116:5-7 “The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. 6 The Lord protects the unwary; when I was brought low, he saved me. 7 Return to your rest, my soul, for the Lord has been good to you.”
God is always watching over you while you sleep
15. Psalm 121:2-5 My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. He will not let you fall. Your guardian will not fall asleep. Indeed, the Guardian of Israel never rests or sleeps. The Lord is your guardian. The Lord is the shade over your right hand.
16. Proverbs 3:24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid. When you rest, your sleep will be peaceful.
17. Psalm 4:7-8 But you have made me happier than they will ever be with all their wine and grain. When I go to bed, I sleep in peace, because, Lord, you keep me safe.
18. Psalm 3:3-6 But you, Lord, protect me. You bring me honor; you give me hope. I will pray to the Lord, and he will answer me from his holy mountain. I can lie down to rest and know that I will wake up, because the Lord covers and protects me. So I will not be afraid of my enemies, even if thousands of them surround me.
19. Psalm 37:24 “Though he falls, he will not be overwhelmed, for the LORD is holding his hand.”
20. Psalm 16:8 “I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.”
21. Psalm 62:2 “He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.”
22. Psalm 3:3 “But you, Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high.”
23. Psalm 5:12 “For surely You, O LORD, bless the righteous; You surround them with the shield of Your favor.”
24. Genesis 28:16 “Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I wasn’t even aware of it!”
25. Psalm 28:7 “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped. Therefore my heart rejoices, and I give thanks to Him with my song.”
26. Psalm 121:8 “The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in. From this time forth and forever.”
27. Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
28. Psalm 34:18 “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.”
29. Psalm 145:18 “The Lord is near to everyone who prays to him, to every faithful person who prays to him.”
30. Jeremiah 23:24 “Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord.”
Bible verses about sleeping in peace
Rest Assured, the Lord is on your side.
31. Proverbs 1:33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm.
32. Psalm 16:9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure.
33. Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
34. Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
35. Jeremiah 33:3 “Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.”
36. Psalm 91:1-3 “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” 3 Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence.”
37. John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
38. Psalm 4:5 “Offer the sacrifices of the righteous and trust in the LORD.”
39. Psalm 62:8 “Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts before Him. God is our refuge.”
40. Psalm 142:7 “Free my soul from prison, that I may praise Your name. The righteous will gather around me because of Your goodness to me.”
41. Psalm 143:8 “Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you.”
42. Psalm 86:4 “Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.”
43. Proverbs 3:6 “In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”
44. Psalm 119:148 “My eyes are awake before the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promise.”
45. Psalm 4:8 “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.”
46. Matthew 6:34 “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
47. Psalm 29:11 “The LORD gives His people strength; the LORD blesses His people with peace.”
48. Psalm 63:6 “When I remember You on my bed, I think of You through the watches of the night.”
49. Psalm 139:17 “How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!”
50. Isaiah 26:3-4 “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. 4 Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength.”
51. Psalm 119:62 “At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee because of thy righteous judgments.”
52. Psalm 119:55 “In the night, O LORD, I remember Your name, that I may keep Your law.”
53. Isaiah 26:9 “My soul longs for You in the night; indeed, my spirit seeks You at dawn. For when Your judgments come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness.”
54. 2 Thessalonians 3:16 “Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.”
55. Ephesians 6:23 “Peace to the brothers and love with faith from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”
56. Matthew 6:27 “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”
57. Philippians 4:6 “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.”
58. Psalm 11:1 “In the LORD I take refuge. So how can you say to me, “Flee to your mountain like a bird!”
59. Psalm 141:8 “But my eyes are fixed on You, O GOD the Lord. In You I seek refuge; do not leave my soul defenseless.”
60. Psalm 27:1 “The LORD is my light and my salvation–whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life–whom shall I dread?”
61. Exodus 15:2 “The LORD is my strength and my song, and He has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise Him, my father’s God, and I will exalt Him.”
62. Psalm 28:8 “The LORD is the strength of His people, a stronghold of salvation for His anointed.”
63. 2 Corinthians 13:11 “Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.”
64. Numbers 6:24-26 “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”
65. Psalm 3:8 “Salvation belongs to the LORD; may Your blessing be on Your people.”
66. Psalm 37:39 “The salvation of the righteous is from the LORD; He is their stronghold in time of trouble.”
67. Psalm 9:9 “The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.”
68. Psalm 32:7 “You are my hiding place. You protect me from trouble; You surround me with songs of deliverance.”
69. Psalm 40:3 “He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.”
70. Psalm 13:5 “But I have trusted in Your loving devotion; my heart will rejoice in Your salvation.”
71. 2 Samuel 7:28 “For you are God, O Sovereign LORD. Your words are truth, and you have promised these good things to your servant.”
Bible verses about sleeping too much
Don’t sleep too much.
72. Proverbs 19:15 Laziness brings on deep sleep, and the shiftless go hungry.
73. Proverbs 20:13 If you love sleep, you will end in poverty. Keep your eyes open, and there will be plenty to eat!
74. Proverbs 26:14-15 Like a door on its hinges, a lazy man turns back and forth on his bed. Lazy people are too lazy to lift the food from their plate to their mouth.
75. Proverbs 6:9-10 How long will you lie there, you lazy person? When will you get up from sleeping? You sleep a little; you take a nap. You fold your hands and lie down to rest.
76. Proverbs 6:9 “How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep?”
77. Proverbs 6:10-11 “A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to rest.” 11 and poverty will come on you like a thief and scarcity like an armed man.”
78. Proverbs 24:33-34 “A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest—24 and poverty will come on you like a thief and scarcity like an armed man.
79. Ephesians 5:16 “making the most of your time, because the days are evil.”
Sleep deprivation from overworking yourself
80. Ecclesiastes 5:12 The sleep of a laborer is sweet, whether they eat little or much, but as for the rich, their abundance permits them no sleep.
81. Psalm 127:2 It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to his loved ones.
82. Proverbs 23:4 “Do not wear yourself out to get rich; do not trust your own cleverness.”
83. 1 Thessalonians 5:6-8 “So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. 8 But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.”
84. Proverbs 20:13 (KJV) “Love not sleep, lest thou come to poverty; open thine eyes, and thou shalt be satisfied with bread.”
85. Isaiah 5:25-27 “Therefore the Lord’s anger burns against his people; his hand is raised and he strikes them down. The mountains shake, and the dead bodies are like refuse in the streets. Yet for all this, his anger is not turned away, his hand is still upraised. 26 He lifts up a banner for the distant nations, he whistles for those at the ends of the earth. Here they come, swiftly and speedily! 27 Not one of them grows tired or stumbles, not one slumbers or sleeps; not a belt is loosened at the waist, not a sandal strap is broken.”
86. Ephesians 5:14 “for the light makes everything visible. This is why it is said, “Awake, O sleeper, rise up from the dead, and Christ will give you light.”
87. Romans 8:26 “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.”
88. 1 Corinthians 14:40 “But all things should be done decently and in order.”
89. 1 Corinthians 10:31 “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”
90. Exodus 34:6 “The Lord, the Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth.“
91. Psalm 145:5-7 “They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty— and I will meditate on your wonderful works. 6 They tell of the power of your awesome works— and I will proclaim your great deeds. 7 They celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness.”
Examples of sleeping in the Bible
92. Jeremiah 31:25-26 I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint. At this I awoke and looked around. My sleep had been pleasant to me.
93. Matthew 9:24 He said, “Go away, for the girl is not dead but sleeping.” And they laughed at him.
94. John 11:11 After saying these things, he said to them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I go to awaken him.”
95. 1 Kings 19:5 Then he lay down under the bush and fell asleep. All at once an angel touched him and said, “Get up and eat.”
96. Matthew 8:24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping.
97. Matthew 25:5 As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept.
98. Genesis 2:21 “So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh.”
99. Genesis 15:12 “As the sun was setting, Abram fell into a deep sleep, and suddenly great terror and darkness overwhelmed him.”
100. 1 Samuel 26:12 “So David took the spear and water jug by Saul’s head, and they departed. No one saw them or knew about it, nor did anyone wake up; they all remained asleep, because a deep sleep from the LORD had fallen on them.”
101. Psalm 76:5 “The stouthearted were stripped of their spoil; they sank into sleep; all the men of war were unable to use their hands.”
102. Mark 14:41 “Returning the third time, he said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Enough! The hour has come. Look, the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners.”
103. Esther 6:1 “That night the king could not sleep; so he ordered the book of the chronicles, the record of his reign, to be brought in and read to him.”
104. John 11:13 “Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.”
105. Matthew 9:24 “Go away,” He told them. “The girl is not dead, but asleep.” And they laughed at Him.”
106. Luke 22:46 “Why are you sleeping?” he asked them. “Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.”
107. Daniel 2:1 “In the second year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar, Nebuchadnezzar had dreams; his spirit was troubled, and his sleep left him.”
108. Isaiah 34:14 “Desert creatures will meet with hyenas, and wild goats will bleat to each other; there the night creatures will also lie down and find for themselves places of rest.”
109. Genesis 28:11 “At sundown he arrived at a good place to set up camp and stopped there for the night. Jacob found a stone to rest his head against and lay down to sleep.”
110. Judges 16:19 “Delilah lulled Samson to sleep with his head in her lap, and then she called in a man to shave off the seven locks of his hair. In this way she began to bring him down, and his strength left him.”
111. Judges 19:4 “Her father urged him to stay awhile, so he stayed three days, eating, drinking, and sleeping there.”
112. 1 Samuel 3:3 “The lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was sleeping in the Tabernacle near the Ark of God.”
113. 1 Samuel 26:5 “Then David went to the place where Saul had camped. David saw the place where Saul and Ner’s son Abner, the commander of the army, were lying. Saul was lying in the camp, and the troops were camped around him.”
114. Judges 16:19 “After putting him to sleep on her lap, she called for someone to shave off the seven braids of his hair, and so began to subdue him. And his strength left him.”
115. 1 Kings 18:27 “At noon Elijah began to taunt them. “Shout louder!” he said. “Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.”