What does the Bible say about hardship?
When your life is all about Christ hardships are inevitable. There are many reasons why Christians go through hardships in life. Sometimes it is to discipline us and bring us back on the path of righteousness.
Sometimes it’s to strengthen our faith and make us more like Christ. Sometimes we have to go through hardships to get to a blessing.
Tough times prove ourselves to God and they build our relationship with Him. It might seem hard, but remember God is on your side.
If God is for us who can be against us? Regardless of the reasons you are going through adversity, be strong and patient because the Lord will help you.
Think about Jesus, who suffered severe hardship. God will hold you up with His mighty hand. God is doing something in your life. Suffering is not meaningless.
He hasn’t forsaken you. Instead of doubting start praying. Ask God for strength, encouragement, comfort, and help. Wrestle with the Lord day in and day out.
Christian quotes about hardship
“Faith endures as seeing Him who is invisible; endures the disappointments, the hardships, and the heart-aches of life, by recognizing that all comes from the hand of Him who is too wise to err and too loving to be unkind.” A. W. Pink
“He who knows no hardships will know no hardihood. He who faces no calamity will need no courage. Mysterious though it is, the characteristics in human nature which we love best grow in a soil with a strong mixture of troubles.” Harry Emerson Fosdick
“When something bad happens you have three choices. You can let it define you, let it destroy you, or you can let it strengthen you.“
“Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.” C.S. Lewis
“Trials teach us what we are; they dig up the soil, and let us see what we are made of.” Charles Spurgeon
“Christianity certainly involves hardship and discipline. But it is founded on the solid rock of old fashioned happiness. Jesus is in the happiness business.” John Hagee
“Joy in God in the midst of suffering makes the worth of God – the all-satisfying glory of God – shine more brightly than it would through our joy at any other time. Sunshine happiness signals the value of sunshine. But happiness in suffering signals the value of God. Suffering and hardship joyfully accepted in the path of obedience to Christ show the supremacy of Christ more than all our faithfulness in fair day.” John Piper
“Every hardship you are facing each day is a reminder that you are one of those strongest soldiers of God. ”
“You may go through difficulty, hardship, or trial – but as long as you are anchored to Him, you will have hope.” — Charles F. Stanley
Endure hardships while advancing the Kingdom of God
1. 2 Corinthians 6:3-5 We live in such a way that no one will stumble because of us, and no one will find fault with our ministry. In everything we do, we show that we are true ministers of God. We patiently endure troubles and hardships and calamities of every kind. We have been beaten, been put in prison, faced angry mobs, worked to exhaustion, endured sleepless nights, and gone without food.
2. 2 Timothy 4:5 You, however, be self-controlled in all things, endure hardship, do an evangelist’s work, fulfill your ministry.
3. 2 Timothy 1:7-8 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God.
Scriptures on facing hardships in life
4. Romans 8:35-39 Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.” No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
5. John 16:33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
6. 2 Corinthians 12:10 That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
7. Romans 12:11-12 Do not lack diligence; be fervent in spirit; serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope; be patient in affliction; be persistent in prayer.
8. James 1:2-4 Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.
9. 1 Peter 5:9-10 Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your family of believers all over the world is going through the same kind of suffering you are. In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation.
God is near when you are going through hardship
10. Exodus 33:14 And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest.
11. Deuteronomy 31:8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”
12. Psalm 34:17-19 The Lord hears his people when they call to him for help. He rescues them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed. The righteous person faces many troubles, but the Lord comes to the rescue each time.
13. Psalm 37:23-25 The LORD makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand. I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread.
God is our refuge in hardship
14. Psalm 91:9 Because you have made the LORD your dwelling place— the Most High, who is my refuge—
15. Psalm 9:9-10 The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.
Endure hardship as God’s discipline
16. Hebrews 12:5-8 And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says, “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.” Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all.
Be strong, God is with you
17. Psalm 31:23-24 O love the LORD, all ye his saints: for the LORD preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer. Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.
18. Psalm 27:14 Wait patiently for the LORD. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the LORD.
19. 1 Corinthians 16:13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.
20. Matthew 10:22 And all nations will hate you because you are my followers. But everyone who endures to the end will be saved.
21. Romans 8:28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
Standing firm in adversity
22. 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 We have troubles all around us, but we are not defeated. We do not know what to do, but we do not give up the hope of living. We are persecuted, but God does not leave us. We are hurt sometimes, but we are not destroyed.
23. Ephesians 6:13-14 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place.
Make prayer a priority in hard times
24. Psalm 55:22 Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.
25. 1 Peter 5:7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.
Hebrews 12:2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.