What does the Bible say about mothers?
How much do you thank God for your mother? How much do you pray to God about your mother? We can be so selfish at times. We pray for all these different things, but we forget the people who brought us into this world. In honor of Mother’s Day I want us to change our relationship with our mothers, grandmothers, stepmothers, mother figures, and our wives.
We are to honor and praise the Lord for the women who have been such a blessing to us. Praise the Lord for their sacrifices that they made for us.
Sometimes we have to even go to the Lord and confess of the way we neglected these women in our lives. There is nothing like a mama. Show your mother or the mother figure in your life how you much you care. Happy Mother’s Day!
Christian quotes about mothers
“Mom I know you’ve loved me as long as I’ve lived but I’ve loved you my whole life.”
“The impression that a praying mother leaves upon her children is life-long. Perhaps when you are dead and gone your prayer will be answered.” Dwight L. Moody
“Successful mothers are not the ones who have never struggled. They are the ones who never give up, despite the struggles.”
“Motherhood is a million little moments that God weaves together with grace, redemption, laughter, tears, and most of all, love.”
“I cannot tell you how much I owe to the solemn word of my good mother.” Charles Haddon Spurgeon
“The Christian mom doesn’t love Jesus instead of loving her children; she loves Jesus by loving her children.”
“A Mother holds her child’s hand for awhile, their heart forever!”
“I don’t believe there are devils enough in hell to pull a boy out of the arms of a godly mother.” Billy Sunday
“There is more power in a mother’s hand than in a king’s scepter.” Billy Sunday
“A mother understands what a child does not say.”
“The mother’s heart is the child’s classroom.” Henry Ward Beecher
“Mothering is the gospel lived out as you hold your child’s heart in beauty, prayer, and patience. It’s not the big decision, but the little ones, trusting God through it all.”
“Only God Himself fully appreciates the influence of a Christian mother in the molding of character in her children.” Billy Graham
“To be a mother is by no means second class. Men may have the authority in the home, but the women have the influence. The mother, more than the father, is the one who molds and shapes those little lives from day one.” John MacArthur
This first verse shows that you would never disrespect your mother.
Use this verse to reflect how you treat your mom. Are you loving her? Are you cherishing every moment with her? This is more than just Mother’s Day. One day our moms are not going to be here. How are you honoring her? Are you listening to her? Are you talking back to her?
Do you call her? Do you still rub her feet out of love for her? We live like our parents are going to be here forever. Be thankful for every moment. Make it your goal to spend more time with your mom, dad, grandmother, and grandfather. One day you are going to be saying, “I miss my mom and I wish she was still here.”
1. 1 Timothy 5:2 “Treat older women as you would your mother, and treat younger women with all purity as you would your own sisters.”
2. Ephesians 6:2-3 “Honor your father and mother” which is the first commandment with a promise “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”
3. Ruth 3:5-6 “I will do whatever you say,” Ruth answered. So she went down to the threshing floor and did everything her mother-in-law told her to do.”
4. Deuteronomy 5:16 “Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may be well with you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you.”
Jesus loved His mother
I checked out a debate about should adults be responsible for their elderly parent’s care? Can you believe that over 50% of people said no? That is your mom! This is the society that we live in today. No respect for their mother. People have an, “it’s all about me and I don’t want to make sacrifices” mentality. It’s hard for me to believe that the people who said no could be Christian. I read so many selfish reasons and people holding on to anger.
Click here and check the debate out yourself.
As Jesus was suffering on the cross He was worried about His mom and who was going to take care of her after He was gone. He made plans for her provision. He put one of His disciples in charge of taking care of her. Our Savior taught us to provide and take care of our parents as much as we can. When you serve others you are serving Christ and showing your love for the Father.
5. John 19:26-27 “When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, “Woman, here is your son,” and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.”
Moms treasure the little things
Moms love taking pictures and they cry at little moments. Your mom is the one that cherishes those cute photos of you in those outfits that she picked out for you when you were younger. She cherishes those embarrassing moments and those embarrassing photos that you hate people seeing. Thank the Lord for moms!
6. Luke 2:51 “Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart.”
There are things that women know that men overlook
Kids are going to learn a lot from their moms more than their fathers. We go with our moms everywhere. Whether it be to the grocery store, the doctor, etc. We learn not only by things that they say, but things that they don’t say.
Moms are very protective. Try messing with a female lion’s cub and watch what happens. Moms know when friends are bad even when we don’t. Every time my mom said, “don’t hang around that friend he is trouble” she was always right.
We must never forsake our mother’s teachings. Mothers go through a lot. They go through a lot of things that most people don’t know about. Children imitate the strength and the example of a godly mother.
7. Proverbs 31:26-27 “She opens her mouth with wisdom, and loving instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness.”
8. Song of Solomon 8:2 “I would lead you and bring you to my mother’s house she who has taught me. I would give you spiced wine to drink, the nectar of my pomegranates.”
9. Proverbs 1:8-9 “Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction, and don’t reject your mother’s teaching, for they will be a garland of grace on your head and a gold chain around your neck.”
10. Proverbs 22:6 “Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.”
You are such a blessing to your mom
You don’t realize how many hours your mom has prayed for you before and after you were born. Some mothers don’t tell their children I love you as much as they need to, but never underestimate the love that your mom has for you.
11. Genesis 21:1-3 “Then the Lord took note of Sarah as He had said, and the Lord did for Sarah as He had promised. So Sarah conceived and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the appointed time of which God had spoken to him. Abraham called the name of his son who was born to him, whom Sarah bore to him, Isaac.”
12. 1 Samuel 1:26-28 “Please, my lord,” she said, “as sure as you live, my lord, I am the woman who stood here beside you praying to the Lord. I prayed for this boy, and since the Lord gave me what I asked Him for, I now give the boy to the Lord. For as long as he lives, he is given to the Lord.” Then he bowed in worship to the Lord there.”
The godliness of a mother
Women have an important role that will change the whole world if there were more godly women.
Women will find true fulfillment through childbearing. Mothers are given a great responsibility of raising up godly offspring. The godliness of a mother has the greatest impact on a child. This is why we need more godly mothers to change a generation of rebellious kids.
Satan is trying to fight against the ways of the Lord. There is a relationship between a mother and a child that is unlike any other that no man will ever know.
13. 1 Timothy 2:15 “But women will be saved through childbearing–if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.”
14. Proverbs 31:28 “Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.”
15. Titus 2:3-5 “The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.”
The motherly love of God
These verses show that the same way a mother will take care of her child, God will take care of you. Even if there was a chance where a mother forgot her nursing child God wouldn’t forget you.
16. Isaiah 49:15 “Can a woman forget her nursing child And have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, but I will not forget you.”
17. Isaiah 66:13 “As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted over Jerusalem.”
Mothers are not perfect
Just like you have made your mom mad before she has probably made you mad before. We all have fallen short. Thanks be to our Savior Jesus Christ. Just like He has forgiven our sins we are to forgive the sins of others. We are to let go of the past and hold on to love.
Love your mom even though she might not be like the moms you see in movies or like your friend’s mom because no mother is like the ones you see in the movies and mothers differ. Love your mom and be thankful for her.
18. 1 Peter 4:8 “Above all, maintain an intense love for each other, since love covers a multitude of sins.”
19. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 “Love is patient, love is kind. Love does not envy, is not boastful, is not conceited, does not act improperly, is not selfish, is not provoked, and does not keep a record of wrongs. Love finds no joy in unrighteousness but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”
The power of a mother’s faith
When your mom’s faith is so great there is a strong chance that your faith in Christ will be great.
As children we notice these things. We see our parents in the Word. We see their prayer life in adversity and we notice these things. A godly household will result in godly kids.
20. 2 Timothy 1:5 “I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you.”
You are a great blessing to your mom.
21. Luke 1:46-48 “And Mary said My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior, because He has looked with favor on the humble condition of His slave. Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed.”
A few verses to add to birthday or Mother’s Day cards.
22. Philippians 1:3 “I thank my God every time I remember you.”
23. Proverbs 31:25 “She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.”
24. Proverbs 23:25 “Let your father and mother have joy, and let her who gave birth to you rejoice.”
25. Proverbs 31:29 “There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!”