Bible verses about letting go
Letting go is one of the hardest things to do. It’s so easy to try to hold on to things, but we must trust that our Lord has something better. Letting go of a relationship, hurt, fear, past mistakes, sin, guilt, slander, anger, failures, regrets, worry, etc. is easier when we realize that God is in control.
Realize that God has allowed and used these things and these people in your life to build you up. Now you must move on towards Him.
What God has in store for you is never in the past. He has something better than that relationship. He has something greater than your worries and your fears.
He has something greater than your past mistakes, but you must trust in Him, stand strong, let go, and keep on moving to see what God has in store for you.
Quotes about letting go
- “Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward.” – C.S. Lewis.
- “Decisions sometimes prove to be the hardest to make, especially when it’s a choice between where you should be and where you really wanted to be.”
- “Let God have your life; He can do more with it than you can.” Dwight L. Moody
- “It hurts to let go, but sometimes it hurts more to hold on.”
- “Let go of the past so that God can open the door to your future.”
- “When you finally let go something better comes along.”
- “To heal your wound you need to stop touching it.”
Set your eyes upon Christ.
Sometimes we hold on to things such as unhealthy relationships and doing our own will because we think to ourselves maybe there will be a change. We still hold on to hope in things other than God. We put our hope in relationships, situations, our mind, etc.
You can strengthen that desire to hold on to things that God doesn’t want in your life by constantly picturing it in your life and imagining how it would be and how you think it should be.
You can train yourself and say, “God wants this for me.” What you are doing is making it harder on yourself to let go. Stop looking to all of these different things and instead look to the Lord. Keep your mind on Christ.
1. Proverbs 4:25-27 Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you. Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways. Do not turn to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.
2. Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
3. Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
Don’t trust in those thoughts that might come to your head. That is leaning on your own understanding. Trust in the Lord. Allow Him to control. Don’t allow your thoughts to control you.
4. Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
5. Psalm 62:8 Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.
You will never do God’s will when you are living in the past.
Looking back will distract you from what is in front of you. The devil will try to remind us of our past mistakes, sins, failures, etc.
He will say, “you messed up now you messed up God’s plan for you.” Satan is a liar. You are where God wants you to be. Don’t dwell on the past, keep moving forward.
6. Isaiah 43:18 “But forget all that–it is nothing compared to what I am going to do.”
7. Philippians 3:13-14 Brothers, I do not consider myself to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead, I pursue as my goal the prize promised by God’s heavenly call in Christ Jesus.
8. 1 Corinthians 9:24 Do you not know that all the runners in a stadium compete, but only one receives the prize? So run to win.
9. Job 17:9 the righteous shall move onward and forward; those with pure hearts shall become stronger and stronger.
We have to let go. Sometimes the things we are holding on to will harm us in ways we don’t even understand and God is protecting us. God sees what you don’t see and He sees what we refuse to see.
10. Proverbs 2:7-9 he stores up sound wisdom for the upright; he is a shield to those who walk in integrity, guarding the paths of justice and watching over the way of his saints. Then you will understand righteousness and justice and equity, every good path.
11. 1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.
Give your hurt to God.
I never said letting go wouldn’t be painful. I never said you wouldn’t cry, you wouldn’t have hurt, you wouldn’t feel confused, etc. I know personally that it hurts because I had to let go of doing my will before. I had to let go of people’s sins against me.
No one understands the pain that you are feeling at the moment except for you and God. That is why you must bring your pain to God. Sometimes the pain hurts so much that you can’t even speak. You have to speak with your heart and say, “God you know. Help! Help me!” God knows the disappointment, frustration, the pain, and the worry.
Sometimes you have to cry out for this special peace that He gives in prayer to help you cope with the situation. It is this special peace that has given me a sound mind and contentment in my situation time and time again. It is like Jesus is giving you an everlasting hug that helps you recover. Like a good father He lets you know that everything is going to be OK.
12. Philippians 4:6-7 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
13. John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it fear.
14. Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke on you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and my load is not hard to carry.
15. 1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Why stress yourself by dwelling on the past?
16. Matthew 6:27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
God allows these situations to build us up, help us grow in faith, and prepare us for something better.
17. Romans 8:28-29 And we know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose, because those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.
18. James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Holding on to the anger and the bitterness will hurt you more than anyone.
19. Ephesians 4:31-32 You must put away all bitterness, anger, wrath, quarreling, and slanderous talk—indeed all malice. Instead, be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ also forgave you.
Sometimes letting go requires us to repent. Pray for forgiveness. God is faithful to forgive and pour out His love upon you.
20. Hebrews 8:12 For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.
21. Psalm 51:10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
22. Psalm 25:6-7 Remember, O LORD, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old. Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness’ sake, O LORD.
You must remember that God loves you greatly.
It is so hard to understand God’s great love for us when we look in the mirror and see our past failures. God loves you so much. Pray for better understanding of His love. His love for you is greater than your regret and pain. Never doubt His love for you. His love is key in letting go.
23. 2 Thessalonians 3:5 May the Lord lead your hearts into a full understanding and expression of the love of God and the patient endurance that comes from Christ.
24. Jude 1:21-22 keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life. Be merciful to those who doubt.
Let go of your worry, the Almighty God is in control.
25. Psalm 46:10-11 Let go of your concerns! Then you will know that I am God. I rule the nations. I rule the earth. The LORD of Armies is with us. The God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Continually pray for wisdom, pray for guidance, pray for peace, and pray that God helps you to let go.
Revelation 3:8 I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.