Bible verses about God’s protection
Every day one of the things I always pray for is for God’s protection. I say Lord I ask for your protection over my family, friends, and for believers. The other day my mom got hit by a car. Some people would see this and say why didn’t God protect her?
I would respond by saying who says God didn’t protect her? Sometimes we think that because God has allowed something that means He didn’t protect us, but we always forget that it could have been worse than what it was.
Yes, my mom did get hit by a car, but despite a few scratches and bruises on her arms and legs she was basically unharmed with little pain. Glory to God!
I am thankful for God allowing me to see His blessing and the bigger picture. She could have died, but God is all powerful and He is able to decrease the impact of an oncoming car and lessen the impact of a fall.
Does God promise to protect us all the time? Sometimes God allows things to happen that we don’t understand. I would like to also remind you that most of the time God protects us without us even knowing. God is the definition of humility. If only that you knew. Something severe could have happened to you, but God protected you without you even seeing it coming.
- “The safest place in all the world is in the will of God, and the safest protection in all the world is the name of God.” Warren Wiersbe
- “My life is a mystery which I do not attempt to really understand, as though I were led by the hand in a night where I see nothing, but can fully depend on the love and protection of Him who guides me.” Thomas Merton
- What feels like rejection is often God’s protection when your heading in the wrong direction.” – Donna Partow
Coincidences are God’s mighty hand at work. For example, you choose not to take your usual route to go to work one day and when you finally get to work you find out that there was a huge 10 car accident, which could have been you.
1. Proverbs 19:21 There are many plans in a man’s heart, Nevertheless the Lord’s counsel—that will stand.
2. Proverbs 16:9 In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.
3. Matthew 6:26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
God sees what we don’t see.
What father doesn’t protect their child even when their child doesn’t know any better? God protects us when we try to do our own thing. God can see what we can’t see. Picture a baby on a bed who is constantly trying to jump off. The baby can’t see, but his father can see.
He can hurt himself if he falls off so his father grabs him and blocks him from falling off. Sometimes we get disappointed when things don’t go our way and wonder God why don’t you open this door? Why didn’t that relationship last? Why did this happen to me?
God sees what we can’t see and He is going to protect us whether we like it or not. If only you knew. Sometimes we ask for things that will end up harming us if God answered. Sometimes He is going to end relationships that are going to be harmful to us and close doors that will end up bad for us. God is faithful! We must trust that He knows what He is doing.
4. 1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
5. Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
6. Acts 16:7 When they came to the border of Mysia, they tried to enter Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to.
Look what Proverbs 3:5 says. When something happens we always try to lean on our own understanding. Well maybe this happened because of this, maybe this happened because of that, maybe God doesn’t hear me, maybe God doesn’t want to bless me. No! This verse says don’t lean on your own understanding. God is saying trust in me. I love you, I have the answers, and I know what is best. Trust in Him that He is faithful, He is protecting you, and He will make a way.
7. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
8. Psalm 37:5 Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this:
9. James 1:2–3 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.
God protects you daily and you don’t even know it.
10. Psalm 121:7-8 The LORD keeps you from all harm and watches over your life. The LORD keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever.
11. Psalm 34:20 For the LORD protects the bones of the righteous; not one of them is broken!
12. Psalm 121:3 He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.
Christians have protection, but those who seek other gods are helpless.
13. Numbers 14:9 Do not rebel against the LORD, and don’t be afraid of the people of the land. They are only helpless prey to us! They have no protection, but the LORD is with us! Don’t be afraid of them!”
14. Jeremiah 1:19 They will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the LORD.
15. Psalm 31:23 Love the LORD, all his faithful people! The LORD preserves those who are true to him, but the proud he pays back in full.
Why should we fear when the Lord is for us?
16. Psalm 3:5 I lay down and slept, yet I woke up in safety, for the LORD was watching over me.
17. Psalm 27:1 By David. The LORD delivers and vindicates me! I fear no one! The LORD protects my life! I am afraid of no one!
18. Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Christians are protected from Satan, witchcraft, etc.
19. 1 John 5:18 We know that God’s children do not make a practice of sinning, for God’s Son holds them securely, and the evil one cannot touch them.
We should be praying for our protection and for the protection of others daily.
20. Psalm 143:9 Rescue me from my enemies, LORD; I come to You for protection.
21. Psalm 71:1-2 O LORD, I have come to you for protection; don’t let me be disgraced. Save me and rescue me, for you do what is right. Turn your ear to listen to me, and set me free.
22. Ruth 2:12 May the LORD repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge.“
We must be careful because sometimes God does protect us from our mistakes and there are many times He doesn’t protect us from our mistakes and sin.
23. Proverbs 19:3 People ruin their lives by their own foolishness and then are angry at the LORD.
24. Proverbs 11:3 The integrity of the upright guides them, but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them.
Many people don’t realize that sin can harm us in a plethora of ways and God tells us no don’t do that for our protection. Living by the will of God will keep you protected.
25. Psalm 112:1-2 Praise the LORD. Blessed are those who fear the LORD, who find great delight in his commands. Their children will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Bonus: Spiritual protection. In Jesus Christ we are protected. We can never lose our salvation. Glory to God!
Ephesians 1:13-14 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.