Bible verses about appearance of evil
Christians must walk like children of the light. We must walk by the Spirit. We can’t live in sin and evilness. We are to also stay away from anything that looks evil that can cause other believers to stumble. One example of this is shacking up with your girlfriend or boyfriend before marriage.
Most likely if you’re always sleeping in the same bed and living in the same house, sooner or later you will engage in sexual activities. Even if you don’t have sex what will other people think?
What will you think if your pastor always carries around a bottle of Vodka? You will think he’s a drunk and you can easily say, “if my pastor does it I can do it.”
When you do things that appear evil it’s easier for the devil to tempt you. Walk by the Spirit so you don’t gratify the desires of the flesh. Another example of appearing evil is being alone with a woman that’s not your wife.
Picture seeing your pastor baking cookies at night in another woman’s home. Even if he’s not doing anything this can easily lead to drama and rumors in the church.
Don’t make friendship with the world.
1. James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
2. Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Stay away from all evil.
3. Ephesians 5:11 Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.
4. 1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from every form of evil.
5. 1 John 1:6 So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing the truth.
6. Galatians 5:20-21 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
Walk as a child of the light.
9. Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering.
10. Matthew 5:13-16 You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless. You are the light of the world–like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.
11. 1 John 1:7 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.
12. John 3:20-21 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.
Don’t hang around wicked people and go to places Christians should never go to like clubs.
7. 1 Corinthians 15:33 Don’t be fooled by those who say such things, for “bad company corrupts good character.”
8. Psalm 1:1-2 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
Before anyone says, “Jesus hung out with sinners,” remember we’re not God and He came to save and call others to repentance. He never stood there while people sinned. Jesus was never with sinners to appear evil, have fun with them, enjoy their sinning, and watch them sin. He exposed evil, taught sinners, and called people to repentance. People still judged Him falsely because the people He was with.
Hate the works of the devil.
14. Romans 12:9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
15. Psalm 97:10-11 Ye that love the LORD, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his saints; he delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked. Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
16. Amos 5:15 Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate: it may be that the LORD God of hosts will be gracious unto the remnant of Joseph.
Think about others. Do not cause anyone to stumble.
17. 1 Corinthians 8:13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.
18. 1 Corinthians 10:31-33 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God–even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.
When you’re close to the works of darkness it can easily lead you to sin.
19. James 1:14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.
20. 1 Corinthians 6:12 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything.
21. Ephesians 6:10-11 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
22. Proverbs 7:10 Then out came a woman to meet him, dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.
1 Thessalonians 2:4 On the contrary, we speak as those approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please people but God, who tests our hearts.