Life can be overwhelming for even the strongest people. If we’re honest, we’ve all experienced the pain of a broken heart in some way, shape, or form. The question is, what do you do with that broken heart? Do you rest in it, or do you give it to the Lord and allow Him to heal, comfort, encourage, and pour out His love upon you? Do you get in His Word to read and rest in His promises?
We can turn to God because He hears our cries. One of the most beautiful things about trusting in the Lord, is the realization that “God knows.” He knows how you feel and what you are going through. He knows you intimately. Lastly, the sovereign God of this universe knows how to help you. I encourage you to read these comforting verses and then run to the Lord in prayer and be still before Him.
Christian quotes about healing a broken heart
“God uses broken things. It takes broken soil to produce a crop, broken clouds to give rain, broken grain to give bread, broken bread to give strength. It is the broken alabaster box that gives forth perfume. It is Peter, weeping bitterly, who returns to greater power than ever.” Vance Havner
“God can heal a broken heart. But you need to give Him all the pieces.”
“Only God can mend a broken heart.”
What does the Bible say having a broken heart?
1. Psalm 73:26 “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”
2. Psalm 34:18 “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.”
3. Psalm 147:3 “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.”
4. Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
5. Jeremiah 31:25 “I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.”
6. Psalm 109:16 “For he never thought to show kindness, but pursued the poor and needy and brokenhearted, even to their death.”
7. Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble.”
8. Psalm 9:9 “The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.”
Do not fear
9. Psalm 23:4 (KJV) “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.”
10. Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
11. Isaiah 41:13 “For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.”
12. Romans 8:31 “What then shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”
Give your broken heart to God in prayer
13. 1 Peter 5:7 “Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.”
14. Psalm 55:22 Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.
15. Psalm 145:18 The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.
16. Matthew 11:28 (NIV) “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
Blessed are the brokenhearted
17. Psalm 34:8 Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
18. Jeremiah 17:7 “Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD.
19. Proverbs 16:20 Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers, and blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD.
Peace and hope for the brokenhearted
20. John 16:33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
21. John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
22. Ephesians 2:14 “For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility.”
He hears the cries of the righteous
23. Psalm 145:19 (ESV) “He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them.”
24. Psalm 10:17 You, LORD, hear the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry,
25. Isaiah 61:1 “The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is upon me, for the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to proclaim that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed.”
26. Psalm 34:17 “The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears; He delivers them from all their troubles.”
Encouraging trust in the Lord Scriptures
27. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
28. Proverbs 16:3 Commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established.
29. Psalm 37:5 Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act.
30. 2 Corinthians 5:7 “For we live by faith, not by sight.”
31. Proverbs 15:13 “A heart full of joy and goodness makes a cheerful face, But when a heart is full of sadness the spirit is crushed.”
32. Isaiah 40:31 “but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.”
33. Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”
34. 1 Corinthians 13:7 “Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.””
35. Hebrews 13:8 “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.”