Bible verses about God’s goodness
I’ve been a Christian for years and I have not even begun to scratch the surface of truly understanding God’s immeasurable goodness.
No human will ever be able to comprehend the full extent of God’s goodness. Below you will read some awesome verses about the goodness of God.
- “God’s goodness is that He is the perfect sum, source, and standard (for Himself and His creatures) of that which is wholesome (conducive to well-being), virtuous, beneficial, and beautiful.” John MacArthur
- “God has never stopped being good, we’ve just stop being grateful.”
- “I believe in God not because my parents to told me, not because the church told me, but because I’ve experienced His goodness and mercy myself.”
- “Fear corrodes our confidence in God’s goodness.”
- “The goodness of God is infinitely more wonderful than we will ever be able to comprehend.” A.W. Tozer
- “God’s goodness is the root of all goodness; and our goodness, if we have any, springs out of His goodness.” — William Tyndale
- “The greater your knowledge of the goodness and grace of God on your life, the more likely you are to praise Him in the storm.” Matt Chandler
How do you view God?
Be honest with yourself. Do you view God as being good? If I can be honest I struggle with this. I can be such a pessimist at times. I always think that something is going to go wrong. What does that say about my view of God? This reveals that deep down I’m struggling to see God as being good. This reveals that I believe that God doesn’t have my best interests in mind. This reveals that I doubt God’s love for me and the only thing that I’m going to get out of this life is hard times and unanswered prayers.
God has been helping me to renew my mind and to remove my pessimistic attitude. The Lord gives us an invitation to get to know Him. God spoke to me while I was in worship and He reminded me that He is good. Not only is He good when everything is going well, but He is good in trials. What good does it do to think that something bad is going to happen if it hasn’t happened yet? This only creates anxiety.
One thing that I am truly grasping is that God deeply loves me and He is sovereign over my situation. He is not a bad God who wants you to constantly live in fear. Those anxious thoughts come from Satan. God wants His children to be joyful. Our brokenness attributes to our broken view of God.
God is in the business of building the love relationship between you and Him and helping you to see who He is. God is in the business of setting you free from those thoughts that keep you captive. You don’t have to wake up tomorrow thinking that He is trying to hurt you. No, He is good, He cares for you, and He loves you. Do you believe that He is good? Don’t just sing songs about His goodness. Get to understand what Him being good truly means.
1. Psalm 34:5-8 “Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. 6 This poor man called, and the Lord heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles. 7 The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. 8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.”
2. Psalm 119:68 “You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees.”
3. Nahum 1:7 “The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.”
4. Psalm 136:1-3 “Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever. 2 Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever. 3 Give thanks to the Lord of lords: His love endures forever.”
5. Jeremiah 29:11-12 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.”
God’s goodness never ends
God doesn’t just stop being good. Don’t think to yourself, “I messed up this week and I know God is going to get me.” This is such a broken view of God. We mess up every day, but God is continually pouring out His grace and His mercy upon us.
His goodness is not dependent on you, but it’s dependent on who He is. God, by nature, is inherently good. Does God allow trials to happen? Yes, but even when He does allow these things He is still good and worthy of praise. We can be confident that we serve a God who will work good things out of bad situations.
6. Lamentations 3:22-26 “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. 23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” 25 The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; 26 it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.”
7. Genesis 50:20 “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.”
8. Psalm 31:19 “How great is the goodness you have stored up for those who fear you. You lavish it on those who come to you for protection, blessing them before the watching world.”
9. Psalm 27:13 “Yet I am confident I will see the LORD’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living.”
10. Psalm 23:6 “Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”
11. Romans 8:28 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
Only God is good
As I previously mentioned, God is by nature good. He can’t stop being what He is. He always does what is right. He is holy and separated from all evil. It is a strenuous task to understand God’s goodness because apart from Him we wouldn’t know goodness. Compared to God we fall extremely short of His goodness. No one is like God. Even in our good intentions there is sin. However, the intentions and motives of the Lord are free of sin. Everything that the Lord created was good. God did not create evil and sin. However, He does allow it for His good purposes.
12. Luke 18:18-19 “A certain ruler asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 19 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.
13. Romans 3:10 “As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God.”
14. Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
15. Genesis 1:31 “God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.”
16. 1 John 1:5 “This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all.”
We are good because of Him
I always ask people the question, why should God let you into Heaven? Usually people say things like, “I’m good.” I then proceed to go through certain commandments in the Bible. Everyone then admits that they’ve failed certain commandments. God’s standards are far higher than ours. He equates the mere thought of sin as the act itself. I’ve talked to many people who have stated that only murderers should go to hell. However, God says that hate or a strong dislike for someone is equivalent of the actual act itself.
I invite people to picture a courtroom in which someone is on trial with ample amounts of video evidence showing the defendant killing hundreds of people. If the person who is on video killing people does good after his murders, should the judge let him go free? Of course not. Would a good judge let a serial killer go free? Of course not. We have done far too many bad for us to be considered good. How about the bad that we have done? If God is a good judge, then He can’t just overlook the bad. Justice must be served.
We have sinned before the Judge and deserve His punishment. In His love the Judge came down and committed the ultimate act of goodness. He sacrificed His own life and freedom so that you would be set free. Christ came down and on the cross, He took your place. He has freed you from the consequences of sin and the power of it. He paid your fine in full. No longer are you seen as a criminal.
Those who have put their trust in Christ for the forgiveness of sins have been given a new identity. They are new creations and they are seen as saints. They are seen as good. When God looks at those who are in Christ no longer does He see sin. Instead, He sees the perfect work of His Son. He sees the ultimate act of goodness on the cross and He looks to you in love.
17. Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.”
18. John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
19. 1 Corinthians 1:2 “To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours.”
20. 2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”
God’s goodness leads to repentance.
God’s great love and the excellence of the cross draws us to Him in repentance. His goodness and His patience towards us leads us to have a change of mind about Christ and our sin. Ultimately His goodness compels us to Him.
21. Romans 2:4 “Or do you despise the riches of his goodness, forbearance, and patience, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?”
22. 2 Peter 3:9 “The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance.”
The goodness of God should lead us to praise Him.
Throughout the Bible we are given an invitation to praise the Lord for His goodness. While praising the Lord we are setting our focus on Him. I’ll admit that this is something that even I struggle with. I am so quick to give my petitions to the Lord. Let’s all learn to be still for a moment and dwell on His goodness and while doing so we learn to praise the Lord in all situations for He is good.
23. 1 Chronicles 16:34 “Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.”
24. Psalm 107:1 “Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.”
25. Jeremiah 33:11 “The sounds of joy and gladness, the voices of the bride and bridegroom, and the voices of those bringing thank offerings into the house of the LORD, saying: ‘Give thanks to the LORD of Hosts, for the LORD is good; His loving devotion endures forever.’ For I will restore the land from captivity as in former times, says the LORD.”