What does the Bible say about sunflowers?
Believers can learn a lot from flowers. Not only are they a beautiful reminder of our glorious God, the gospel and spiritual growth can be seen in flowers, if we look closely.
God created and designed sunflowers
1. Genesis 1:29 “And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.”
Isaiah 40:28 (ESV) “Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. – (Creation Bible verses)
Sunflowers give God glory
3. Numbers 6:25 “The Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you.”
4. James 1:17 “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”
5. Psalm 19:1 “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.”
6. Romans 1:20 “For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.”
7. Psalm 8:1 (NIV) “Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory in the heavens.”
Sunflowers will fade, but God is eternal
God’s love never fades!
8. Job 14:2 “Like a flower he comes forth and withers. He also flees like a shadow and does not remain.”
9. Revelation 22:13 (ESV) “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”
10. James 1:10 “But the rich should take pride in their humiliation—since they will pass away like a wild flower.”
11. Isaiah 40:8 “The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.”
12. Isaiah 5:24 “Therefore, as fire eats up the stubble and dry grass is engulfed by flames, so it will be for everything they count on for the future—Their roots will rot, their flowers will wither and fly away like dust, for they refused to accept the law of the Eternal, the Commander of heavenly armies; They derided and disparaged the word of the Holy One of Israel.”
13. Psalm 148:7-8 “Praise the Lord from the earth. Praise him, large sea creatures and all the ocean depths, 8 lightning and hail, snow and fog, strong winds that obey his commands.”
14. Isaiah 40:28 “Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.”
15. 1 Timothy 1:17 (NASB) “Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.”
God cares for the sunflowers
If God cares for the flowers of the field, how much more does God care and love you?
16. Luke 12:27-28 “Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?”
17. Matthew 17:2 “There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light.”
18. Psalm 145:9-10 (KJV) “The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works. 10 All thy works shall praise thee, O Lord; and thy saints shall bless thee.”
19. Psalm 136:22-25 “He gave it as a gift to Israel, his servant. His faithful love will last forever. 23 He remembered us when we were defeated. His faithful love will last forever. 24 He saved us from our enemies. His faithful love will last forever. 25 He provides food for all living things. His faithful love will last forever.”
When we turn to the Son, we receive God’s light
Similar to a sunflower, we need the (Son) to live and walk in the light. Jesus is the only true source of life. Are you trusting in Christ alone for salvation? Are you walking in the light?
20. John 14:6 “Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father except through Me.”
21. Psalm 27:1 (KJV) “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”