Bible verses about flowers
In the Bible flowers are often used as symbolism for beauty, growth, temporal things, fullness, and more. The gospel can be seen in all of creation. Flowers are a beautiful reminder of our glorious God.
- “God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone, but on trees and flowers and clouds and stars.” Martin Luther
- “Flowers are the music of the ground from earth’s lips spoken without sound.” -Edwin Curran
- “Where flowers bloom, so does hope.”
- “Love is like a beautiful flower which I may not touch, but whose fragrance makes the garden a place of delight just the same.”
- “Every flower must grow through dirt.”
Flowers will fade
You can give flowers sunlight, you can give the proper amount of water, but one thing will always remain true. Flowers will eventually fade and die. Anything in this world that we put our hope in will one day wither away. Whether it be money, beauty, humans, stuff, etc. However, unlike flowers and the things of this world God and His Word will always remain the same. God’s sovereignty, His faithfulness, and His love will never fade. Praise be to our God.
1. James 1:10-11 “But the rich should take pride in their humiliation–since they will pass away like a wild flower. For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich will fade away even while they go about their business. For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich will fade away even while they go about their business.”
2. Psalm 103:14-15 “For he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. The life of mortals is like grass, they flourish like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more.”
3. Isaiah 28:1 “What sorrow awaits the proud city of Samaria–the glorious crown of the drunks of Israel. It sits at the head of a fertile valley, but its glorious beauty will fade like a flower. It is the pride of a people brought down by wine.”
4. Isaiah 28:4 “It sits at the head of a fertile valley, but its glorious beauty will fade like a flower. Whoever sees it will snatch it up, as an early fig is quickly picked and eaten.”
5. 1 Peter 1:24 “For, All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall.”
6. Isaiah 40:6 “A voice says, “Cry out.” And I said, “What shall I cry?” “All people are like grass, and all their faithfulness is like the flowers of the field.”
7. Isaiah 40:8 “The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever.”
8. Job 14:1-2 “Mortals, born of woman, are of few days and full of trouble. They spring up like flowers and wither away; like fleeting shadows, they do not endure.”
9. Isaiah 5:24 “Therefore, just as fire licks up stubble and dry grass shrivels in the flame, so their roots will rot and their flowers wither. For they have rejected the law of the LORD of Heaven’s Armies; they have despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.”
God cares for the flowers of the field.
God cares for all of His creation. This should cause us to rejoice in our trials. If He provides for even the smallest flowers, how much more will He provide for you! You are so loved. He sees you in your situation. It might seem like God is nowhere in sight. However, don’t look to what is seen. God will take care of you in your situation.
10. Luke 12:27-28 “Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?”
11. Psalm 145:15-16 “The eyes of all look to you in hope; you give them their food as they need it. When you open your hand, you satisfy the hunger and thirst of every living thing.”
12. Psalm 136:25-26 “He gives food to every living thing. His faithful love endures forever. Give thanks to the God of heaven. His faithful love endures forever.”
13. Psalm 104:24-25 “How many are your works, LORD! In wisdom you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures. There is the sea, vast and spacious, teeming with creatures beyond number— living things both large and small.”
The growth process
When you plant a seed eventually it will grow into a flower. For a flower to grow it needs water, nutrients, air, light, and time. In the same way, we need things to grow in Christ. We need to discipline ourselves spiritually.
We need to (wash ourselves and feed ourselves) with the Word. We need to be around a (positive environment) so our growth is not hindered.
We need to (spend time) with the Lord. As we do these things there will be growth in our life. Just like there are some flowers that grow faster than others, there are some Christians that grow faster than others.
14. Hosea 14:5-6 “I will be like dew to the people of Israel. They will blossom like flowers. They will be firmly rooted like cedars from Lebanon. They will be like growing branches. They will be beautiful like olive trees. They will be fragrant like cedars from Lebanon.”
15. 2 Pet 3:18 “But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the honor both now and on that eternal day.”
16. 1 Peter 2:2 “Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation. Cry out for this nourishment.”
The sweetness of the presence of Christ.
Flowers are used to illustrate the beauty of Christ and His Word.
17. Song of Solomon 5:13 “His cheeks are as a bed of spices, as sweet flowers: his lips like lilies, dropping sweet smelling myrrh.”
18. Song of Solomon 5:15 “His legs are pillars of alabaster Set on pedestals of pure gold; His appearance is like Lebanon Choice as the cedars.”
19. Song of Solomon 2:13 “The fig tree has ripened its figs, And the vines in blossom have given forth their fragrance. Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, And come along!”
The flourishing estate of the church
Where there was once dryness, there will be fullness because of Christ. Flowers are used to illustrate the joyful flourishing of Christ’s kingdom.
20. Isaiah 35:1-2 “Even the wilderness and desert will be glad in those days. The wasteland will rejoice and blossom with spring crocuses. Yes, there will be an abundance of flowers and singing and joy! The deserts will become as green as the mountains of Lebanon, as lovely as Mount Carmel or the plain of Sharon. There the Lord will display his glory, the splendor of our God.”
Song of Solomon 2:1-2 “I am the rose of Sharon, The lily of the valleys.” “Like a lily among the thorns, So is my darling among the maidens.”