What are stars in the Bible?
Have you ever lied down outside at night to gaze at the stars? What a beautiful sight that declares the glory of God. Stars and the planets are proof of God. It amazes me how people can see God’s awesome creation in front of them and still have the audacity to say that God isn’t real.
Throughout history stars have been used as navigational tools. Stars show God’s power, wisdom, and His faithfulness. Why fear when we have an omnipotent and omniscient God?
He knows how many stars there are in the sky and if He knows that He knows whenever you’re in trouble. Rest upon the shoulders of the Lord. Praise our all powerful God creator of all things. These Scriptures include translations from the ESV, KJV, NIV, and more.
Christian quotes about stars
“Why wish upon a star when you can pray to the one who created it?”
“God writes the Gospel not in the Bible alone, but also on trees, and in the flowers and clouds and stars.” Martin Luther
“There is something beautiful about a billion stars held steady by a God who knows what He is doing.”
“God writes the Gospel not in the Bible alone, but also on trees, and in the flowers and clouds and stars.”
“Lord, you placed the stars in the sky, yet you call me beautiful.”
“The hands that made the stars are holding your heart.”
“Stars shine brighter in the blackness of darkness. Cheer up no matter your pains.”
What does the Bible say about stars?
1 Corinthians 15:40-41 “There are also bodies in the heavens and bodies on the earth. The glory of the heavenly bodies is different from the glory of the earthly bodies. The sun has one kind of glory, while the moon and stars each have another kind. And even the stars differ from each other in their glory.”
2. Psalm 148:2-4 “Praise him, all his angels; praise him, all his armies! Praise him, sun and moon; praise him, all you shining stars. Praise him, you heaven of heavens, and you waters above the heavens.”
3. Psalm 147:3-5 “He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds. He counts the stars and calls them all by name. How great is our Lord! His power is absolute! His understanding is beyond comprehension!”
God created the stars
4. Psalm 8:3-5 “When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers— the moon and the stars you set in place— what are mere mortals that you should think about them, human beings that you should care for them? Yet you made them only a little lower than God and crowned them with glory and honor.”
5. Psalm 136:6-9 “Give thanks to him who placed the earth among the waters. His faithful love endures forever. Give thanks to him who made the heavenly lights–His faithful love endures forever. the sun to rule the day, His faithful love endures forever. and the moon and stars to rule the night. His faithful love endures forever.”
6. Psalm 33:5-8 “He loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of the steadfast love of the Lord. By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their host. He gathers the waters of the sea as a heap; he puts the deeps in storehouses. Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him!”
7. Isaiah 40:26-29 “Look up into the heavens. Who created all the stars? He brings them out like an army, one after another, calling each by its name. Because of his great power and incomparable strength, not a single one is missing. O Jacob, how can you say the LORD does not see your troubles? O Israel, how can you say God ignores your rights? Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.”
8. Psalm 19:1 “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky displays what his hands have made.” (Heaven Bible verses)
Signs and seasons
9. Genesis 1:14-18 “Then God said, “Let lights appear in the sky to separate the day from the night. Let them be signs to mark the seasons, days, and years. Let these lights in the sky shine down on the earth.” And that is what happened. God made two great lights–the larger one to govern the day, and the smaller one to govern the night. He also made the stars. God set these lights in the sky to light the earth, to govern the day and night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.”
The Star of Bethlehem
10. Matthew 2:1-2 “Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the reign of King Herod. About that time some wise men from eastern lands arrived in Jerusalem, asking, and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.”
11. Matthew 2:7-11 “Then Herod called for a private meeting with the wise men, and he learned from them the time when the star first appeared. Then he told them, “Go to Bethlehem and search carefully for the child. And when you find him, come back and tell me so that I can go and worship him, too!” 9After this interview the wise men went their way. And the star they had seen in the east guided them to Bethlehem. It went ahead of them and stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they were filled with joy! They entered the house and saw the child with his mother, Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.”
12. Job 9:7-10 “If he commands it, the sun won’t rise and the stars won’t shine. He alone has spread out the heavens and marches on the waves of the sea. He made all the stars—the Bear and Orion, the Pleiades and the constellations of the southern sky. He does great things too marvelous to understand. He performs countless miracles.”
13. Job 38:31-32 “Can you tie the bands of the Pleiades, or release the cords of Orion? Can you lead out the constellations in their seasons, or guide the Bear with its cubs?”
14. Isaiah 13:10 The stars of heaven and their constellations will not show their light. The rising sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light.
Satan referred to as the morning star?
15. Isaiah 14:12 “How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!”
The 7 stars in Revelation represent angels
16. Revelation 1:16 “In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.”
17. Revelation 1:20 “The mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand and of the seven golden lampstands is this: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.”
Stars are used as an illustration for a promise to Abraham.
18. Genesis 15:5 “Then the LORD took Abram outside and said to him, “Look up into the sky and count the stars if you can. That’s how many descendants you will have!”
Stars are not meant for astrology, which is sinful.
Worshiping stars has always been sinful.
19. Deuteronomy 4:19 “And when you look up to the sky and see the sun, the moon and the stars—all the heavenly array—do not be enticed into bowing down to them and worshiping things the Lord your God has apportioned to all the nations under heaven.”
20. Isaiah 47:13-14 “You are worn out by your many plans. Let your astrologers and your stargazers, who foretell the future month by month, come to you, rise up, and save you. They are like straw. Fire burns them. They can’t rescue themselves from the flames. There are no glowing coals to keep them warm and no fire for them to sit by.”
21. Deuteronomy 18:10-14 “No one among you is to make his son or daughter pass through the fire, practice divination, tell fortunes, interpret omens, practice sorcery, cast spells, consult a medium or a familiar spirit, or inquire of the dead. Everyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord, and the Lord your God is driving out the nations before you because of these detestable things. You must be blameless before the Lord your God. Though these nations you are about to drive out listen to fortune-tellers and diviners, the Lord your God has not permitted you to do this.”
22. Romans 1:20-22 “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible attributes—his eternal power and divine nature—have been understood and observed by what he made, so that people are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him. Instead, their thoughts turned to worthless things, and their senseless hearts were darkened. Though claiming to be wise, they became fools.”
23. Psalm 104:5 “He set the earth on its foundations, so that it should never be moved.”
24. Psalm 8:3 “When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place.”
25. 1 Corinthians 15:41 “The sun has one kind of splendor, the moon another and the stars another; and star differs from star in splendor.”
26. Mark 13:25 “the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.”
Examples of stars in the Bible
27. Judges 5:20 “The stars fought from heaven. The stars in their orbits fought against Sisera.”
28. Revelation 8:11-12 “The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter. 12 The fourth angel sounded his trumpet, and a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them turned dark. A third of the day was without light, and also a third of the night.”
29. Acts 7:43 “You have taken up the tabernacle of Molek and the star of your god Rephan, the idols you made to worship. Therefore I will send you into exile’ beyond Babylon.”
30. Hebrews 11:12 “And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.”