Bible verses about people pleasers
There is nothing bad about pleasing others, but when it becomes an obsession then it becomes sinful. People usually take advantage of the yes guy. The guy who if asked for a favor will always say yes out of fear of displeasing someone. Sometimes you have to speak your mind instead of what someone wants to hear.
People-pleasing is why we have many greedy false teachers in Christianity like Joel Osteen, etc.
Rather than telling people the truth they want to make people happy and tell them false things they want to hear.
You can’t serve God and always be a people-pleaser. Like Leonard Raven Hill said, “If Jesus had preached the same message that ministers preach today, He would never have been crucified.”
Please God and do all things for that glory of God and not man. Don’t change the gospel because it offends someone.
Don’t be afraid to tell someone the truth. If you take away, twist, or add to Scripture you will be thrown into hell. For everyday life as Christians yes we should help people, but don’t put pressure on yourself. Don’t be afraid of what others think, say what your heart is feeling. Who cares if people think you’re mean because you said no I can’t in a polite way.
I’ve learned that many times people never remember or pay attention to the times when you helped them. They only remember and complain about that one time when you didn’t. Making sure people are pleased is not your job. Live for the Lord and not for man.
- “If you live for people’s acceptance you will die from their rejection.” Lecrae
- “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “The only thing wrong with trying to please everyone is that there’s always at least one person who will remain unhappy. You.”
- “People pleasing hides the real you.”
- “No is the most empowering word for those who struggle with people pleasing, low self-esteem, and codependency.”
What does the Bible say?
1. Galatians 1:10 Does this sound as if I am trying to win human approval? No indeed! What I want is God’s approval! Am I trying to be popular with people? If I were still trying to do so, I would not be a servant of Christ.
2. Proverbs 29:25 Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but trusting the Lord means safety.
3. 1 Thessalonians 2:4 For we speak as messengers approved by God to be entrusted with the Good News. Our purpose is to please God, not people. He alone examines the motives of our hearts.
4. Romans 12:1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
6. 2 Timothy 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.
7. Colossians 3:23 Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.
8. Ephesians 6:7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people.
Glory of God not man
9. 1 Corinthians 10:31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
10. Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
11. Proverbs 16:7 When a man’s ways please the LORD, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
12. Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but continuously be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you may be able to determine what God’s will is—what is proper, pleasing, and perfect.
13. Ephesians 5:10 and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord.
14. Ephesians 5:17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.
15. Mark 8:33 But turning and seeing his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.”
16. John 5:41 I do not receive glory from people.
17. Mark 15:11-15 But the high priests stirred up the crowd to get him to release Barabbas for them instead. So Pilate asked them again, “Then what should I do with the man you call ‘the King of the Jews’?” “Crucify him!” they shouted back. “Why?” Pilate asked them. “What has he done wrong?” But they shouted even louder, “Crucify him!” So Pilate, wanting to satisfy the crowd, released Barabbas for them, but he had Jesus whipped and handed over to be crucified.
18. Acts 5:28-29 He said, “We gave you strict orders not to teach in his name, didn’t we? Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to bring this man’s blood on us!” But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men!
19. Acts 4:19 But Peter and John replied, “Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges!”
20. John 12:43 for they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God.