Bible verses about popularity
A true Christian will not be popular. Most popular people are people who do things that are contrary to the Christian lifestyle. We are not to join evil, but expose it and people don’t like others pointing out and telling them to turn away from their sins. We are not to live for the world to try to impress others or do better than others.
Christians live for Christ putting Him first in everything we do living out His will for our lives. Chasing popularity can also be a form of idolatry because you’re putting fame and what others think of you before God.
We are to show no favoritism and be willing to associate with everyone. Popular people usually like to be seen with other popular people to boost their reputation. Don’t try to fit in with the crowd, it will only lead to compromising. Fit out instead.
“Do not exchange your dignity for popularity.” ― Steve Maraboli
Trying to be friends with worldly people.
1. Proverbs 13:20 Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.
2. Proverbs 12:26 The righteous choose their friends carefully, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.
3. 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”
4. Proverbs 18:24 A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
5. 2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
Separate yourself from the world.
6. Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but continuously be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you may be able to determine what God’s will is—what is proper, pleasing, and perfect.
7. James 4:4 You adulterers! Don’t you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: If you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God.
A Christian will be hated by the world.
8. Matthew 10:22 You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
9. 1 John 3:13 Do not be surprised, my brothers and sisters, if the world hates you.
10. 1 Peter 4:4 Of course, your former friends are surprised when you no longer plunge into the flood of wild and destructive things they do. So they slander you.
The world only likes fake Christians who join them, justify their sins, don’t speak out against evil, and spread false teachings.
11. Luke 6:26 “Woe to you, when all people speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.
Wanting to be popular brings pride.
12. 1 Samuel 18:28-29 But when Saul saw and knew that the Lord was with David, and that Michal, Saul’s daughter, loved him, Saul was even more afraid of David. So Saul was David’s enemy continually.
13. Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.
14. Proverbs 11:2 When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.
15. Proverbs 29:23 One’s pride will bring him low, but he who is lowly in spirit will obtain honor.
16. Galatians 6:3 For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.
Have nothing to do with evil.
17. Ephesians 5:11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.
18. Proverbs 4:14 Do not enter the path of the wicked, and do not walk in the way of the evil.
19. 1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from every form of evil.
20. Ephesians 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.
21. Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
We’re God-pleasers not people-pleasers.
22. Proverbs 29:25 The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.
23. Galatians 1:10 For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.
24. Isaiah 2:22 Stop regarding man in whose nostrils is breath, for of what account is he?
25. Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men
Luke 9:25 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed?